Wyoming Moose Input - Unit #26 or Unit #2

rmanwill

Long Time Member
I have been putting in for moose points in Wyoming for years now and have 14 NR points. I have been researching area #26 for several years. I have read articals and talked/contacted numerous people that have hunted this unit in the past.

Now that I am in the ball park of possibly drawing I would like any input or first hand knowledge from anyone willing to help.

I know 26 is a great (fun)area with a high population of moose. However, there is alot of 3-4 year old bulls (35-40 inch antlers) with a few bigger. Last year they raised the tags issued by 10 tags. That is a total of 50 tags issued yearly.

Unit 2 has been hunted and talked about by several on this site and a couple of the magizines. Information I have gethered is that it produces bulls over 40 inches and it only has five tags issued a year with the habitat being a smaller area where hunter have found and bagged in an avarage of around four days.

Even after several years of research on 26, I have to consider unit #2 with the information I have been able to get to this point. This will be my only moose tag in Wyoming and possibly my only moose tag in my lifetime (want to make the best of it). The deadline is the end of this month and trying to make up my mind and get put in for the best tag available with my points. I am aware that 14 is in the ball park of both units, but we all know there is the dreaded point creep. 14 points drew the one NR tag in unit #2 last year and there was 4 left with 15 points where 8 tags are given to non residence, which could drop into my point pool this year. Both are possible this year, but should generate a tag for me within the next couple years.

Thanks in advance for any input/information. PM's would be great. Rick.

These are all unit 26 bulls from last year. As you can see none of them are monsters. Your right, it is a fun hunt with lots of 3-4 year old bulls. I was in the unit 15-20 days scouting and hunting moose and these are the best bulls I found. I know there are some stud bulls in the unit, you just might have to get a little lucky finding one.
8185image.jpg

8282image.jpg

3709image.jpg

2648image.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom