Wyoming Mountain Goat Question

NevadaJames

I first want to say that I'm not asking for hunting locations... I am asking about an article I read about Mountain Goat in the Targhee and Grand Tetons. I know I have the smallest chance in the world but my question is The hunt in those units is it worth the money and time to try and harvest a goat coming off of the park or is there enough goats that I would have a chance to harvest an animal. I know the hunt will be extremely hard and I'm ok with that. I just would like to know if its worth it to apply in a unit like that. Only thing I can go off of is google earth to scout some possible areas to decide rather or not to apply.

Super difficult hunt, almost impossible to get close to them!!!

04DE9A7C-5E28-4001-A3AF-475255334FFF.jpeg

I have never seen any in the Park. These were in the Palisades Unit (2) and picture taken first week in Nov. See quite a few in there, bowhunting you would be better off to hunt early for access to the high country.

As a non-resident, you will be wasting your money on that tag. The goats being shown above are nowhere near the hunting area in the Tetons that was opened last year. . The goats that hunt is trying to focus on are ones they want eradicated from the area. The goats that live in the park rarely if ever leave even in winter. That is why they are being shot out of a helicopter this winter. . The chance for you to be successful next fall on that hunt outside the park will be very slim to none on ANY goat, kid, nanny or billy. Also, you will need to be able to access the wilderness and that will take a resident friend or outfitter. And all the outfitters did not want anything to do with that hunt last year due to the lack of goats in the area. I had the tag, harvested the largest and oldest goat taken in the 3 1/2 month season with my bow after scouting for weeks previous and he was the only billy i found. I also live locally so was much more able to hunt it easily. I could put in again this year and draw, and I have zero desire to do that hunt again cause of the lack of goats that will be there next fall. My suggestion is you would be wasting a lot of money.

mntnguide has given the best advice on that hunt. At best it was a one year long shot hunt. Some people made it happen and filled tags but it wasn't easy. I don't even know why the hunt is being offered again since they plan to kill the rest of the herd via helicopter this winter.

As a non-resident, you will be wasting your money on that tag. The goats being shown above are nowhere near the hunting area in the Tetons that was opened last year. . The goats that hunt is trying to focus on are ones they want eradicated from the area. The goats that live in the park rarely if ever leave even in winter. That is why they are being shot out of a helicopter this winter. . The chance for you to be successful next fall on that hunt outside the park will be very slim to none on ANY goat, kid, nanny or billy. Also, you will need to be able to access the wilderness and that will take a resident friend or outfitter. And all the outfitters did not want anything to do with that hunt last year due to the lack of goats in the area. I had the tag, harvested the largest and oldest goat taken in the 3 1/2 month season with my bow after scouting for weeks previous and he was the only billy i found. I also live locally so was much more able to hunt it easily. I could put in again this year and draw, and I have zero desire to do that hunt again cause of the lack of goats that will be there next fall. My suggestion is you would be wasting a lot of money.
Thank you very much. I did apply for it today due to my lifelong desire to harvest this animal. It's my pinnacle to get one of them and I am by no means expecting nothing short of a miracle for this hunt but I will give me all for this hunt. I will do whatever it takes to get in there and try my best at a goat. I expect the goats to be in hard unhunt able areas but I'm counting on at least one goat to try and leave the area so I'll have a shot opportunity at least. I have a buddy that said he would go with me and help me try to harvest.
I will move the heavens and the earth to fill my tag and wont quit till I find one. If you like you can call me and we could discuss some areas if you're willing too. James 775-233-7322

mntnguide has given the best advice on that hunt. At best it was a one year long shot hunt. Some people made it happen and filled tags but it wasn't easy. I don't even know why the hunt is being offered again since they plan to kill the rest of the herd via helicopter this winter.
Thank you I am still gonna apply for it and try my best luck at harvesting a goat. I've wanted one my whole life and I will do whatever it takes to make it possible. I have about 2.5 months leave I will burn to fill this tag.

Thank you I am still gonna apply for it and try my best luck at harvesting a goat. I've wanted one my whole life and I will do whatever it takes to make it possible. I have about 2.5 months leave I will burn to fill this tag.
Then why are you spending that type of money a on a FAR fetched chance when you could just go to BC for a bit more for a high quality goat hunt? You realize your resident friend has to be with you everyday you are in the wilderness? I don't have much more to say, i think you are wasting your time and money for the chance at a kid or nanny at best. Good luck

If the winter plan is carried out, there will be zero mountain goats in the area. Having a tag is pointless if the unit is void of mountain goats

If the winter plan is carried out, there will be zero mountain goats in the area. Having a tag is pointless if the unit is void of mountain goats
They have shut down the entire park to skiers for the next week and will begin shooting out of the helicopter today

If they shoot and let them lay there without recovering the meat they are guilty of wanton destruction of a protected species.

Poachers

I read at least 36 were gunned down!! So Sounds like I’d be praying for an unsuccessful screen and save me a couple thousand bucks!!

I read at least 36 were gunned down!! So Sounds like I’d be praying for an unsuccessful screen and save me a couple thousand bucks!!
I withdrew my application after I found out that the NPS shot and left 36 goats to rot on the hillsides. Bums me out I was really looking forward to this hunt.

None of those 36 goats you would have ever seen in the legal area anyway. They were shot deep inside park boundaries where they live YEAR round. People seem to think these goats migrate out of the park, they don't. A few have lived on the border and go back and forth, but the ones shot out of the helicopter are 100% park goats full time

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom