Wyoming Non-Resident Tags

SureShot

Very Active Member
Can anybody tell me how many max-point non-residents drop out of the deer and elk draws each year? It looks like there are about 3,000 people with max points for both of those species going into this year's draw. How many were there last year in the top pool?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-14 AT 08:00PM (MST)[p]You might send WapitiBob a PM and see if he saved that information from last year, as he saves quite a bit of information off the site regarding the draws. Unless someone saved it from year to year the only other way to get it would be to call the G&F and ask them for it.

The thing about it, and in WY more than most states it seems is how many actually put in for a tag and how many just get a point.

You really have to look at the draw odds and forget the rest of it. some people are just point collectors.

Stay thirsty my friends

>
> For Elk, 3128 for 2013
>and 3054 going in the
>draw for 2014
> About 74 last year

That seems really low.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-14 AT 11:38PM (MST)[p]edit: this is res/nr. I'll split the nr out when I get a chance

I don't have 2013

Antelope

2010 3293
2011 2420
2012 1858
2014 1233

Deer

2010 5699
2011 4673
2012 3991
2014 3013

Elk

2010 7318
2011 5688
2012 4527
2014 3054

Like was said above, many PP it every year. Wait til July, pay $50.00, and move on.

A couple of years ago when I had max elk PPs, I saw info on how many max PP holders applied for each unit the 2 years before. Might have been Eastman's, Huntin Fool, or the state web site, not sure.

That info would be more relavent.

I'm always surprised by how many guys just buy points and never apply. Even some guys with lots of points just seen to go the points route.
Like others have said, just look at the draw odds for a good idea of what you should/could do.
I guess it's cool to have a ton of points and never hunt????
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-14 AT 09:36AM (MST)[p]>I'm always surprised by how many
>guys just buy points and
>never apply. Even some guys
>with lots of points just
>seen to go the points
>route.
>Like others have said, just look
>at the draw odds for
>a good idea of what
>you should/could do.
>I guess it's cool to have
>a ton of points and
>never hunt????
>Zeke

There are many reasons why some just apply for
Points. I for example am a teacher. I do not get vacation days I. The fall etc. I have never in my life had a whole week to hunt. If I use my personal days creatively I get 5 days at best and am otherwise stuck to hunting weekends. So I buy points every year, and will buy points for my mom, dad and stepdad, and wife. Etc.

What will I use my points for? Not sure but I have about 15 year before I need to worry. When I do retire I will have some great hunts lined out. Or I might just save all my points and average put with my kids for a graduation present etc. but in the mean time I have good and easy hunting in Colorado, that can be done on a weekend, and takes up nearly every weekend I have... So why build knowing someday if will have my pick.

It makes perfect sense to build points in WY even if you have no plans to hunt it in the next few years...

They make substitute teachers for a reason...

"So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing. Don't even wait for your annual vacation. Go at every opportunity. Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so."

"The important thing is: Don't wait too long. If you wait until tomorrow, tomorrow may never come."

---Ted Trueblood

I have a similar outlook as elks96 even though I do have vacation time and I do hunt out of state most every year. I wish I would have realized the value of points sooner. I have bought points in Wyoming, I missed the first year so I sit with 7. I have about that many points in most the western states. I will retire in seven years and I will have some great hunts lined up.

Most hunters are banking points in Wyoming because of the upfront cost of applying for a tag. I can only speak for myself, the expense doesn't stop me. Its the uncertainty of drawing other states. I apply in Utah, Arizona, Oregon, and Nevada without sending in the tag fees. I send Colorado upfront fees for deer and elk to get a point, same with sheep in Montana.

I like Wyoming's system. I will apply when I have a chance to draw the tag and know I can go. I burned my antelope points last year and had a great hunt. I am to far behind in the sheep race so I will start applying for a tag in hopes of getting a random tag.

Since I have started my plan I have drawn, N.M. oryx, Idaho moose, Utah mule deer, as well as a couple Nevada tags. Arizona Elk is in the near future and it looks like we will try to burn our Wyoming elk points this year.

Stick with your plan elks96, your hunting future will be bright.

A lot of truth to what Buzz says. Don't wish your life away. If you wait until everything is perfect you might not get there at all.

Eel

Buzz I fully agree, but teachers do not get vacation days. I get 2 personal days and a couple sick days a year. I can get away with using 1 or 2 sick days a fall and hunt with out getting in trouble... Of course they will not let me use my 2 personal days with 2 sick days and take a week... Just the rules. Also realize that in a typical year I am hunting for myself or with family and friends every damn weekend from mid august to end of December. Trust me there is no lack of hunting here, I figured that I got in 34 days of big game hunting this fall... Also hunting in CO is good, and I get more hours in the field when I am not driving back and forth all the time. I loved it when I lived in Craig as good wy hunting was only an hour away...

Thanks buzz there is a lot of truth in your post...

>They make substitute teachers for a
>reason...
>
>"So don't wait until you retire
>to go hunting and fishing.
>Don't even wait for your
>annual vacation. Go at every
>opportunity. Things that appear urgent
>at the moment may, in
>the long run, turn out
>to be far less so."
>
>
>"The important thing is: Don't wait
>too long. If you wait
>until tomorrow, tomorrow may never
>come."
>
>
>---Ted Trueblood

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom