Wyoming NR 7 Points Deer 2021

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
Looking to burn my points next year. The area I am looking looks to be in reach (barely). My brother and I would be applying together. My folks have a house in Pinedale so we could make a couple summer trips for scouting (but one would be more realistic) . My reality is I burn these points and it may be 10+ years before I can get a chance at a Wyoming mule deer. What have other NR's done to maximize their chance for a mule deer buck that can relate to my situation? I am a bowhunter and really want a chance at them with a bow before the pressure sets in. But, I know the harvest success is much higher with a rifle. I would love to be able to take 10 days for bow and 5 days for rifle but 10 days is the most I could get away with. My brother is a rifle hunter. Expectation - I have not shot a 180" mule deer and that would be my ambitious goal. Pipe dream?

Last edited:
If you are planning to do region G, and prefer the archery hunt, I'd take your 10 days and do 8 days with the bow and the last two as the opening days of rifle. You should have some opportunities during the archery portion and also have a good idea on a spot where a nice buck lives for the rifle opener.

Just my opinion, but I would not apply together with your brother. My hunting partner and I both burned 7 points in WY four years ago and I'm still disappointed that we didn't put in for one tag at a time so that we could've hunted out there two different years.

It's marginal whether you will be able to draw Region G in 2021 with 7 NR PP. It took 7 points in 2020. The point creep in G has been about a half point per year. So for 2021 some with 7 points will probably draw and some won't.

But with a half point per year creep you will gain on the point system by waiting a year. You will have a lot better chance drawing in 2022. But you can always apply. With 25% of the tags being random and the PP draw maybe being 50% with 7 points you will have a chance of drawing.

I like G and H and 180 isn’t asking too much, but it is rough country to hunt. If you’re a backpacker or have animals to pack your gear in, you can have a good hunt. I’ve had many, many good hunts and several great hunts.
I like hunting that high country, but I also like the hard work that comes with the scouting and hunting. Not everyone is going to like that style of hunting.

It's marginal whether you will be able to draw Region G in 2021 with 7 NR PP. It took 7 points in 2020. The point creep in G has been about a half point per year. So for 2021 some with 7 points will probably draw and some won't.

But with a half point per year creep you will gain on the point system by waiting a year. You will have a lot better chance drawing in 2022. But you can always apply. With 25% of the tags being random and the PP draw maybe being 50% with 7 points you will have a chance of drawing.
Thanks for the point information. I've follow the numbers closely and I realize things could ramp north and I might not get the tag but it's looks like I would, more likely than not. Either way, 2022, should be a slam dunk with 8.

Last edited:
I like G and H and 180 isn’t asking too much, but it is rough country to hunt. If you’re a backpacker or have animals to pack your gear in, you can have a good hunt. I’ve had many, many good hunts and several great hunts.
I like hunting that high country, but I also like the hard work that comes with the scouting and hunting. Not everyone is going to like that style of hunting.
Copy that... Really a crap shoot Founder. What my research has told me that the opening weekend of rifle has high traffic and scouting a buck in August and then him being in the same area for the opener of rifle is probably a low percentage. Couple that with 3-4 other outfits proabably knowing about him is and being in the same area come opening morning is a likely scenario. The archery season is your best bet to locate and then be able to hunt the same buck without fierce competition. That leads me to an outfitted hunt for rifle since I don't have stock and scouting resources to their local abilities.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom