Wyoming point creep

Dioni

Just wondering how many people are burning points in Wyoming. With the passage of the non resident restriction on oil tags it seems like people are nervous about deer and elk being next. How many points over last year is a guy going to have to be in popular units?

I'm in for 128 with max points as well. but now I hope I don't draw it since I just drew a CO 3rd season tag.

stats say it a little higher draw than that , and they proposed a tag increase from 50 to 75 I read somewhere so if that happened the odds could be 10% this year.

No guaranteed burning here but would be happy to lose the points. I have 4 & 5 points but I put in for deer and antelope units where I have no chance in the initial PP round. Odds are so dismal, it’s the best of both worlds - won’t be dissapointed to not draw, but will be over the moon if I do luck into a tag. Also put in for pronghorn doe tags, with similar poor odds to draw.

I'm in for 128 with max points as well. but now I hope I don't draw it since I just drew a CO 3rd season tag.

stats say it a little higher draw than that , and they proposed a tag increase from 50 to 75 I read somewhere so if that happened the odds could be 10% this year.
Well congrats on drawing that 3rd season tag in CO. Of course if lightning strikes twice for you and they pull your name in Wy, that CO tag can be returned.
I was not aware of the proposed tag increase for 128 this year. That's always a double edged sword for sure. Nice to have the increased draw odds but that also puts more people in the woods with you if you do draw ?.

You're right I'll have no option but to turn the CO tag back. I probably won't draw WY but all or nothing would be my luck.

They cut the tags back to 50 about 10 years ago and it was 100 prior to that. I think 75 will be ok even with 100 tags mostly all you see are cow hunters. and I'm not sure the increase happened but I did see the proposal somewhere.

I don't know about point creep this year but with the talk of cutting the NR quota to 10% you can bet it'll be awful next year regardless of what actually happens.

I’m in for 101 special with max. I already have a cow elk tag in 124 with the same start dates so I figured I would make it a combo hunt with an emphasis on deer if I draw. I applied for 128 last year but the dates don‘t work for me this year…

Horniac

I’m only 1/2 point above what it took to draw last year for the Antelope unit I put in for so I will not be surprised if I don’t draw with all the chatter going on about changes coming. If it changes, I will change with it and find hunts and states that I can go have fun with. I don’t need great tags to have fun in the mountains. I guess that is the great thing about being a opportunity hunter, it does not take much to put a smile on my face and another memory in the bank. My most looked forward to hunt each year is my general deer tag in my home state, anything above that is a bonus. Can’t wait. Have fun.

Our group of 3 has exactly 2 more points than what would have been a guaranteed draw last year in the unit we picked.
Should be a lock, right? Not based on the way draws in other states have gone that I've been denied on so far this year.

This is my last best chance at any kind of western hunt this year. I'm plenty nervous we aren't the only ones looking to cash out before 90/10 hits DEA in WY.

Well congrats on drawing that 3rd season tag in CO. Of course if lightning strikes twice for you and they pull your name in Wy, that CO tag can be returned.
I was not aware of the proposed tag increase for 128 this year. That's always a double edged sword for sure. Nice to have the increased draw odds but that also puts more people in the woods with you if you do draw ?.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom