Wyoming preference points

S

shep

I'm applying for preference points in wyoming for moose and sheep. Can someone tell me if I have to fill out two different forms (One for each species)or can I check both boxes on one form? I'm either blind or dumb, I can't seem to find the rule in the regs.
Thanks,
Shep

You can use one form for both moose and sheep. Check both boxes and send them a check for $14. Be prepared, those same points will cost you $50 each next year.

In 2002 the max points in both draw pools were seven points. In the moose pool for 2002 there were 31 applicants with seven points, and 6237 applicants with less than seven points. The sheep pool had 94 applicants with seven points, and 4896 applicants with less then seven points. It would take approximately 15 years for all of the applicants currently in the moose pool to draw, and approximately 72.6 years for all of the applicants in the sheep pool to draw. This assumes tag quotas staying at 2002 levels, no one dropping out of the pool, and each applicant being willing to accept an available tag. In the moose draw many of the tags that are cow/calf only are undersubscribed. If you are applying in hopes of drawing a bull moose tag the time line to clear the pool is longer than cited above. The good news is that Wyoming makes a portion of the tags in both draws available for random draw. So it is possible to draw with less than max points. If you're the lucky type you might even draw the fist year.

I have 4 points for each going into 2003. I think when the cost to purchase points is raised from $7 each to $50 each the pool will start to shrink.

If you look at the draw odds posted on the Wyoming site, for nonresidents there are some sheep units that have cleared the top pool out, and quite a few moose moose bull units that only need around two or three points to draw. In fact, the nonresident tags for moose and sheep look like a much shorter waits than the resident hunts for those not in the top pools. I guess the $1000-$1500 price (and the 20% of tags set aside) has a lot to do with that. I suppose most of these are not the really desirable units. Of course, some hunts will take quite a while longer to clear out. I am 40 and one point off the top pool for sheep, and nonresidents need a guide for wilderness, so I must wait for the kids to get out of college to apply, but only have three moose points and am considering cashing in on a unit requiring fewer points before the price goes up.

Good info - thanks. I have 3 points for sheep and when the pnts hit $50 each I will apply for tags. I should this year since it will be the last year where most apply for just a point (ie there are still decent odds at the 25% of tags for anyone) but I am planning a fall elk hunt. I am 31 and I plan to apply forever. I figure in 20 years, if I have not drawn a tag, enough people will have drawn, missed a year or two or simply given up, or gotten to old to sheep hunt. I figure it is a sure thing for me by age 55 (I would have 27 points - with the max being 31).

Time will tell.....

Yes you use the same app and just check the boxes you want, sheep, goat & moose or any combination thereof.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom