Wyoming Sheep..what did you do?

dwalton

Very Active Member
The application period has ended. What did everyone apply for, and with how many points?

Myself: Area 8,23 with 11 points.

Best of luck to all that applied.

After I found out they are cutting #5 tags to allow last years tag turn-in of 17/19 tags 'cause of the fires ect...

I did #1 as I talked with a couple outfitters at the Expo in SLC back in January.

#23 on my moose....

Robb

Unit 4 with 5 points. we harvested 2 great rams in there last year. If any one is needing a guide/outfitter for unit 4 let me know.

Looks like scratch will be hunting sheep for sure this year, and cabuck more than likely will. Hope you guys find that once-in-a-lifetime ram!

I have never put in for Mtn sheep- dont know why........I put in for 5 desert hunts a year.

Do want to get in the Mtn Sheep game this year.

How many is max points in Wyo? Once you have max, how long to draw(decent unit)? (rough estimates welcome)

Thanks and good luck

Mark

Max points for Wyoming is 12. This issue has been covered before, but if you are just starting out, you will never reach max points in Wyoming. There are simply too many people ahead of you. It won't do you any good to spend $100 for a preference point this year. Apply next year in one of the areas 1-5. 25% of the permits are on a random draw, with odds of about 1%.

dwalton

I hope you're predictions are right, I already drew a Moose and Mountain Goat (firt time I applied). Now I'm just waiting for a Sheep, will take a month or so off work to locate that 180 plus Ram. Good-Luck in the draw.

Scratch

sheep-unit 2 only have 3 pts so its random draw or nothing
moose-unit 1 & 34 only 3 pts so its gotta be random draw
goat-unit 2
bison-waiting for my position number

Unit 5 sheep-8 points
Unit 10 moose-8 points, just might be drawing a moose tag this year. It would be nice to stop the massive flow of preference point money into Wyoming.

I have to much on my plate already so $100. donation for me this year with 7 pionts going in.

so you are saying that max points next year will be greater than 12, and that the year after it will be greater than 12 + n, etc,etc. ?

so who has a chance that's not already sitting on a pile of points?

Do you have to start applying for your kid as soon as he's old enough to walk, or is that too late?

just curious, thankfully I'm not into sheep that much. I would like to eat one though.

max points is 12 you just get a greater number each year with max points which in turn reduces your odds.

In a preference system, you only take out the same number of applicants out of the top pool as there are tags for each hunt. The rest of the top pool applicants get one more point for the following year. So the points required to draw for hunts with less tags than top pool applicants goes up one point each year, until that pool clears out. For a guess at to how many years that will be, divide the number of top pool applicants by tags available per year. Of course, some drop out or die, points only guys can jump in, tag numbers vary year to year, and the rules can change. Preference points are unfair and suck.

1. Daughter starting college in Fall= $35k x 4 years
2. Have only seven sheep points
3. Now 55 1/2 years old.
4. Don't believe in high risk gambling.

What do you think I did?

mainer

Don't give up hope, I know someone last year that drew a sheep in Area 5 with six or seven point while I had max. The only difference he was a non-resident and the Game and Fish allows a SMALL percentage to out of staters. Good Luck everyone.

Scratch

Actually, random draw odds in WY are not that bad, in comparison to draw odds in other states. WY at 25%, is pretty generous in their nonresident quota. As unfair as the points system is (I am saying this one off the top at 11, so at 44, I should live long enough to draw a tag), the guides in wilderness rule is the worst nonresident screwing any state has.

ElmerFudd

I hear plenty of people complaining about that law stating non-residents can't hunt in the wilderness. However, there is a easy way around it and it's legal. Just find a resident(friend) and have them purchase a guide license from Wyoming Outfitter and Guide board and go with you. It cost five dollars and it good for fourteen days I believe, and their allowed one a year.

Scratch

Scratch,

Nice idea, but it is pretty hard to find a dependable hunting buddy you can really count on, hunt like you like to hunt, and be willing to give up his/her vacation time for your sheep hunt, even without the requirement that he/she be a Wyoming resident and you live 1000 miles away from Wyoming. I certainly would not want to risk a sheep hunt by counting on an internet buddy I really do not know all that well. It would be nice if I could find a buddy in WY to hunt with, but....

Oh well, the unit I applied for has hunting outside the wilderness, but that limitation really cuts down on the units an unguided nonresident can apply for, and hurts draw odds for those units.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom