Wyoming special draw 2022

Daisy4u2

Hi all,

Looking for some input going into the 2022 draw. I've got 11 points and will be hunting archery. Ill likely participate in the special draw as a non resident. Not wanting to go guided so wilderness is out. My dad and I have waited a long time and 2022 is when we will be cashing in and going for it.

If you were in my position what unit would you be after for a chance at a giant? I believe 38-9 might be a possibility but I'm not sure if that's the best option. Still dissecting draw statistic information.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

This year (2021) only 55% of the applicants with 11 points drew a 38-9 tag. So if there is any point jump the odds may be slim that you will draw that tag next year with 11 points.

With Covid trying to predict draw odds has become even more difficult than normal. During 2020 a lot of people stayed home and PP required didn't go up as much as they had been. Then 2021 rolls around and everyone was ready to go hunting and a lot of units jumped a lot more than normal.

So, can you draw 38-9 next year with 11 points? Maybe, but if point creep follows it's normal pattern probably not.

You might want to take a look at 45-9. You also might consider a Wyoming resident friend helping you in the Wilderness.

Last edited:
I wish I did have a buddy over there to help me out with the wilderness situation, unfortunately that is a dead end for me.

If I hired a guide to pack us into the wilderness does that suffice or are they required to be with you at all times?

Only about half of non residents with points even apply in the draw, it doesn't take much to get a few off the bench and blow up the odds.

1436AC64-718F-4CBE-B2E8-ED4E71E17EA3.jpeg

This is the preference points going into the 2021 draw. 7,822 people had 11 points or more for elk. So it wouldn’t take many people jumping in to blow up the odds.
But don’t get too depressed, it usually doesn’t happen that way.

If it took 11 points this year and you had 11 and you are going into next year with 12, you will usually draw.

Yes sir, the question is what would the general consensus be for the unit that would provide the best opportunity for overall experience and mature bulls.

I am not against rifle hunting, doesn’t matter much to me what weapon I use although I do enjoy archery hunting. My consideration is I have an annual rifle elk hunt every year beginning of October in Idaho. I don’t want to settle for a lesser Wyoming tag that took potentially 11 years to draw. I’m really not even sure what the best option is for that amount of points. If it wasn’t a 20hr one way drive for me I’d be more aware of where I should be looking but unfortunately that’s not the situation. I do know guided is not an option. Not a financial issue, just the fact that I like to control my own destiny so to speak.

I have no insight as to the best unit to archery hunt for you and your dad but if it was me I would pick a unit you are assured of drawing in 2022 if that is your goal. If you don’t draw and the 90/10 goes through you might not be able to draw the units you are currently looking at in the foreseeable future let alone any of the lesser units…

iMO we could very well see a repeat of what happened this year in the CO deer draw in the 2022 WY draws if the handwriting is on the wall for the 90/10 to be implemented in 2023…

Horniac

I have no insight as to the best unit to archery hunt for you and your dad but if it was me I would pick a unit you are assured of drawing in 2022 if that is your goal. If you don’t draw and the 90/10 goes through you might not be able to draw the units you are currently looking at in the foreseeable future let alone any of the lesser units…

iMO we could very well see a repeat of what happened this year in the CO deer draw in the 2022 WY draws if the handwriting is on the wall for the 90/10 to be implemented in 2023…

Horniac
2022 might be a very interesting draw in WY that’s for sure!

I agree with Horniac, if you can draw a good unit you should go hunting. The non-resident PP system for people that live 1,500 miles is a crap shoot at best. You pay your money and take your chances. Don't get into point chasing a unit. This year it takes 8 points and you have 6, next year it takes 9 and and you have 7. If it jumps a point every year you will never catch it.

90/10, they talk about it every year but it hasn't went through yet. But the other guys are correct, if it does go through your points won't be worth much.

With 11 points you are right on the edge of drawing some of these units.

38-9, you have a chance to draw this hunt but I think a slim chance.

Area 7, doesn't have a type 9 but you can archery hunt for a month before rifle season. You might draw with 11 PP but not guaranteed. A lot of private land but there is some public. I have hunted Area 7 but on private so no help there.

38-1, only took 8 points this year so you should draw this Area easily. A lot of national forest to hunt. Lots of roads. One down side is and it doesn't happen every year is they have a lot of snow mid October. I hunted it this year but I hunted private land at lower elevation so I don't have any info on the NF. There was a foot of snow at 5,000 ft and I think the top of the mountain had two feet.

So there isn't any clear answer. You could wait a year or two and try to draw 38-9, but if it jumps a point per year or 90/10 comes in you are screwed. Or do 38-1.

Sorry I couldn't give you more help but that's all I have.

There are more statistics on the Wyoming G&F web site on multiple years of drawing odds and harvest percentage than you will ever have time to look at. So pick something you can draw and go hunting.

When would a 90/10 on elk take place if non-res apps are due end of January? Could it happen after applications are due?

I don’t think that anyone that follows this stuff thinks there is going to be 90/10 for elk in 2022. But to answer your question I think the answer is yes, they don’t set the tag numbers until after the applications are in. I think that’s why they changed announcing the draw results for non-resident elk from February until later. They were setting tag numbers before their herd counts were in.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom