Wyoming Unit 24 Elk

M.Buche

Burned my 16 points on unit 24, thinking with the full moon peaking on Sept. 12th this year am planning on going from 15 through 27th. Usually try to scout in summer but with gas prices that's out travelling from Mi. Im 63 and planning on camping at cottonwood campground. Only looking for advise on anything to beware of. Lot's of ATV's? We are hunting on foot. Thanks for any info.

Burned my 16 points on unit 24, thinking with the full moon peaking on Sept. 12th this year am planning on going from 15 through 27th. Usually try to scout in summer but with gas prices that's out travelling from Mi. Im 63 and planning on camping at cottonwood campground. Only looking for advise on anything to beware of. Lot's of ATV's? We are hunting on foot. Thanks for any info.

If you have an ATV/SXS, I would bring it. Some rough roads to be driving around in a truck. Plus, you will be able to cover a lot more ground on an ATV/SXS. Don't overlook the lower sage areas. Lots of elk and easy hunting compared to a lot of other elk units in the state.

If you have an ATV/SXS, I would bring it. Some rough roads to be driving around in a truck. Plus, you will be able to cover a lot more ground on an ATV/SXS. Don't overlook the lower sage areas. Lots of elk and easy hunting compared to a lot of other elk units in the state.
I got a double flat tire on the same side out there...bring spares.

I would have to say somewhat disappointing, a ton of people up there and the elk were not talking much at all. We did find an area with elk and not many hunters. We called in 5 bulls, saw 6 but never saw a cow. Everything we called in was cold calling as they weren't talking much or couldn't hear them as it was so windy most days. Everything came in silent and very spooky. There is a lot of pressure from what I saw. Quads everywhere and the weekends are a zoo. It's probably a good area if you have lot's of time and don't mind a ton of people. Personally don't think it was worth my 16 points as I have hunted a couple other areas that took half that number and seen 3 times the elk and heard many many more. No sour grapes we worked as hard as 3 guys averaging 67 years old could, { I was the only one with a tag}, we hiked nearly 40 miles in the 7 days I had to hunt. Just kind of think they should offer a small percentage of the tags as type 9 or archery only and give those guys the first 2 or 3 weeks to hunt it without the rest of the crowd. Just my opinion. That's elk hunting though we still had a great trip.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom