Wyoming Unit 62 Elk

Kwelp45

I applied for Wyoming 62 elk with 13 points (1 short of max). From the looks of things I have a chance. It is a bummer that so many of these tags are basically a one and done. So it is doubly important to do as much preparation as possible. A friend of mine hunted the unit a couple years ago and did well going three for three tagging out on some nice bulls, so he will be a good source of information about the unit.
Does anyone know of anyone that will bring in horses and pack out an elk (if needed) as a service in the unit 62 area? That would be handy if the service is needed. Just trying to plan ahead. I have not drawn the hunt yet but hope to. The suspense is getting the best of me.

Last edited:
They have to be licensed in Wyoming to pack out your game so an outfitter might be your only choice.
There is a horse service that will rent you horses but only delivers in certain areas.

Thanks for the information. I guess I will find out tomorrow if I need to look into one or the other. Looking forward to this Fall, I am finally in position to have a chance for some solid tags.

I drew the WY Unit 62 elk tag. If anyone knows an outfitter that will transport an Elk out of the mountains in that area on an as needed bases for a fee I would appreciate the contact. I will also look into renting a couple horses for the trip. I imagine I can get it done on my back with many trips if need be. Either way, I am looking forward to the adventure.

I got more details about my friends hunt out in 62 three years ago from them today. Sounds like an incredible hunt. Can not wait!

I did 61 a few years ago with horses. I never could've done it without. Congrats on the tag, I hope you have a great adventure.

62 was my dream hunt for years, including before they went to a point system. But I owned horses then. And the bears have gotten worse.

I let my "bear scared" friend convince me to hunt another unit. And we had a great time, chasing bulls with our bows for 2 weeks, and killin.

But Unit 62, congratulations!!!

Consider an outfitter? I never, ever give this advice. But my dream of hunting 62 was based on big country, horse country, that isn't in the wilderness. Doing it day hiking, or backpack may be doable but after 13 years, you should consider it.

I hear what your saying. This is almost a once in a lifetime tag. Next year I will have 0 points going in and random draw will be my only chance for years to come to draw any trophy unit.
For that reason I have considered an outfitter for this hunt. I have been on several outfitted hunts but I prefer to DIY whenever possible. I find the DIY more rewarding. I don't need my hand held, I have all the equipment and prefer to just hunt with a couple friends. I enjoyed most of the guided hunts in different ways, but my best memories were on DIYs. I would rather earn a 270" bull on my own than take a 370" on a guided hunt. I say that now but maybe I will think differently if I come back from 62 empty handed...but I doubt it.
My Dad had horses for a long time and we Elk hunted Colorado with them a ton. Horses would definitely make it easier. My friends that hunted the unit several years ago did it backpacking and all 3 of them they hauled 3 elk out of the unit. I imagine I can get it done. I am 52 now and feel I got a little left in the tank to get the job done. It is not as easy as it once was but knowing these opportunities are fleeting makes me appreciate them that much more.
All of that said..... I wouldn't be apposed to a drop camp situation. If there was an outfitter that offered that type service in that unit I would entertain that.

You sound like me. Rather DIY, all day, every day.

And my horses followed me to Montana, NM, I’d, Ut, Nv, and Ore many times.

I just retired so I don’t want horses to keep me home when I want to travel. But when it comes to hunting, not having them restricts me.

Good luck on your hunt!

Outfitters in that area probably aren't allowed to do drop camps nor do they probably want to. Drop camps are a logistical pain for outfitters, so in an Area like that I would highly doubt the few outfitters will be doing them. And they definitely can't pack you into the wilderness and leave you legally speaking based on the wilderness rule... There is nothing like being deep in the mountains in a wall tent camp hunting big bulls off horses. You shouldn't look at being guided as being babysitted for that tag. If you consider an outfitter, you are also going on the type of elk hunt many people dream of, backcountry, horses and big bulls is hard to beat. That being said, if you want to go DIY of course do it, but if being outfitted on a tag you more than likely won't draw again is a thought, you should at least call outfitters and talk to them. Worse thing that can come of that is you gain a bit more information.

Lots of things to consider certainly. I have some time to consider options and do more research. You are right in that a simple conversation could prove to be beneficial.
Although the best memories I have and most rewarding hunts I have been on, have been DIY. But I am open minded and will look into all options.

62 is only about 10% wilderness.

I talked to a biologist 15-18 years ago and he got me started on 62. He said horses would be the way to hunt the unit and didn’t think not being able to hunt the wilderness was an issue. plenty of roadless habitat outside the wilderness. That was before wolves were even an issue, or bears. ****, must have been 20+ years ago.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck and hope you kill a bigun.

The more people I talk to that have hunted 62 the more excited I am getting about the hunt this Fall. Sounds like a magical place although steep and rugged with plenty of Bears. Really looking forward to it. Thanks to all for their comments and advice.

Been my experience that the grizzly problems occur when hunters go back the next day to retrieve the meat, either because they shoot one late in the evening or can't get it all out in one day or trip. I always take a pack animal (or 2) with me when I leave camp in the morning and get it out and hung that day. Also, might want to check with G&F or USFS to see where the bear poles are in the area that you're hunting. There are quite a few bear poles in the back country and they make life a lot simpler. Because of the chance of bears getting on your carcass, I would not consider hunting 62 without horses. I rented horses from Lonnie Mantle in Pavillion years ago (before I got my own) and they always had pretty good stock.

Sounds like you have used horses in the past and are capable with them. Why not just rent? They are available around there.

"Thank you" to the people that have reached out with the offer of help/assistance. Lots of good people out there! Yes I have thought of renting horses and will look into it. Makes a ton of sense in this unit as a quick removal seems like almost a must. lots of homework and planning to do.
Good luck to all in this years Draws.

Looks like unit Wyoming 62 is my only tag this Fall. I will be "putting all my eggs in that basket". Currently I have a couple friends that are considering going along for the experience but nothing locked in. I am realizing more and more that this in not a hunt you want to go on alone with all the bears in the area. If anyone that drew the unit wants to share contact information and possibly meet up while in unit 62 please reach out. I'm not looking for an "in" to an area I Just want a safe hunt and it might be a good idea to meet a couple of the people you are sharing the mountain with. Just a thought.

A48BDCE2-27D0-4B1C-B47F-3B496082F575.jpeg

Yeah, we need details!! Looks like you didn't end up with horses after all. Any bear issues?

Congrats!

The story...…
A couple friends from Nebraska had drawn the Area 62 tag 4 years ago, they had a great hunt and scored on some great bulls. I had missed a year of applying and was a year behind in preference points (one short of max). It took an additional 4 years but I finally drew the tag. One of them (Steve G.) offered to go on the hunt to help out and his knowledge of the area proved very beneficial. Another friend from Michigan made the long trek with me to Wyoming to help as well. I was concerned about hunting alone with presence of Grizzly Bears in the area (although we never did see one, tracks but no bear).
We arrived a couple days before gun season to do some scouting. With (much appreciated) information from people on this forum, advise of the area Game Warden and Steve's first hand knowledge of area 62 we were into Elk quickly but kept our distance as to not disrupt their routine. Most of the elk seemed to be high (like sky lined on top of the mountain high). After a couple days of scouting we had a herd patterned that held our target bull and also a group of 6 satellite bulls that we wanted to take a closer look at if plan A didn't work out.
The afternoon before opener we decided to make the climb up the mountain to get a closer look at the "lay of the land" and see how we could get within range of the herd if they stayed on their normal routine. This was a very beneficial move as it gave us a pretty solid game plan for opening morning. We were in that same spot next morning before light and as the sun came up we could see it was business as usual for the herd. Now it was a matter of getting close to them. The Bull had around 12 cows with him and they were still about a half mile away with a lot of open ground between us and them. They were working down into the timber so we had to make our move. We dropped our packs and skirted the side of the mountain until we had no choice but to go directly at the herd that was working its way down a drainage into the timber. In doing so we caught the attention of 4 cows/calves that were behind the group. Steve and Mike stayed back as I crawled up to edge of a bluff for a better vantage point. The 4 cows were now all looking our way (350yds away) and locked up. I could not see the Bull at this point. There was a drainage between the bluff I was on and the elk that held lots of standing timber. Visibility between the trees was spotty as I slowly glassed up and down the drainage. The Bull finally stepped out as he came back up the mountain to gather his cows. By the time I got my Dads (he passed away last year and I wanted to do this hunt with his rifle) rifle set up on him he was facing straight away from me and stood like that for about 15 minutes. His herd was split, he would look up and down the mountain and every couple minutes let out a short bugle. As he turned to go up back up the mountain (I assume to push his wayward cows down the mountain) he gave me the broadside shot I was waiting for. The opening between the trees I had was small and I worried about possible bullet deflection so before I took the first shot I decided I was going to follow up the first shot quickly and I am glad I did. He was hit and turned and started to walk towards me and I dropped him with a frontal shot.
I hope that wasn't too long winded. Just reliving it in my head. Incredible experience (all of it).
We put on 12 miles (per Steve's phone) that day packing him out (with pack frames No horses). We got him out in two trips (6 packs) and in one day as recommended by the Game Warden in Grizzly territory.
I can't thank Steve and Mike enough for taking the time to help on this once in a lifetime hunt.

Awesome story!! With max NR points, 62 has been on my radar for years and this certainly helps make it even more intriguing.

Kevin thats a beautiful bull and looks to be outstanding taxidermy!
Have you heard how the 2021 season went for the guys who drew 62?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom