Wyoming unit like the book cliffs???

pauns08

Is there a unit in Wyoming similar to that of the book cliffs in Utah? Meaning is there a unit in Wyoming that a guy can have a some what easy of a hunt and look over a bunch of 130-150" type bucks? I have 6 points just looking for options, I don't need a 190"+ buck just want to have a fun hunt with the family and look over a bunch of deer and maybe shoot an average buck.

Unit 80, 81,84 might be what your looking for
Those were actually the exact units I was looking at, for some reason I was thinking they were all part of region W and I didn't want to hunt a general region but after looking closer they are limited quota. Have you hunted any of those units Cary?

Second part of my question would be are the hunts in 80, 81, 84 worth the 6 points or does a guy just keep building for another 6-8 years with hopes of drawing like101,102 or like the late 128 hunt?

Second part of my question would be are the hunts in 80, 81, 84 worth the 6 points or does a guy just keep building for another 6-8 years with hopes of drawing like101,102 or like the late 128 hunt?
I’d go hunt when ya can, 101,102 and 128 gonna be hooked up with max point holders for years, like the henries but with less big bucks!

Heck we have Regions you can draw with 0-1 PP and see bucks like you are asking about. Not hundreds a day, but plenty of deer to look at.

84 is pretty checkerboarded.....hard to find deer that you have access to. Don't have to go with an outfitter, but they have most of the deer habitat in their favor..
80 and 81 have a lot more public ground to hunt.
py

I'm kind of leaning towards 81 but haven't found much info on it, I'm not fully against a general region other than I don't want to hunt in a pumpkin patch I get plenty of that in Utah.

I have not hunted it. I have 12 pts and have no idea what to do. My advice is go hunt it while you can.
That's what I kinda want to avoid is getting to 12 points where I feel like I have to wait for one of the top max points units.

After being to the book cliffs I can say I’ve never seen a deer area in WY with the numbers like there. The closest I can think of would be a unit that takes max points. And even then it isn’t comparable. There just isn’t a unit in WY that has a combo of deer numbers and access that I’ve seen that compares to the books. Of course all areas in WY have the size you mentioned like others pointed out.

If it was me I would wait till you can draw G. Go up high for the opener. If you don’t get a big buck come back for the opener in 135 in oct and hunt that with the kids. Lots of road accessible stuff in 135. After you burn up your points there’s some areas in the NE part of the state that has a lot of deer numbers, they are Whitetails but they are still deer.

After being to the book cliffs I can say I’ve never seen a deer area in WY with the numbers like there. The closest I can think of would be a unit that takes max points. And even then it isn’t comparable. There just isn’t a unit in WY that has a combo of deer numbers and access that I’ve seen that compares to the books. Of course all areas in WY have the size you mentioned like others pointed out.

If it was me I would wait till you can draw G. Go up high for the opener. If you don’t get a big buck come back for the opener in 135 in oct and hunt that with the kids. Lots of road accessible stuff in 135. After you burn up your points there’s some areas in the NE part of the state that has a lot of deer numbers, they are Whitetails but they are still deer.
Thanks for the reply, I was hoping to stay away from G because I'm not to keen on burning that many points on a unit that residents can buy over the counter, and I also didn't want to tangle with any grizzly lol. I'll have to look into 135 though and research that a bit more.

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping to stay away from G because I'm not to keen on burning that many points on a unit that residents can buy over the counter, and I also didn't want to tangle with any grizzly lol. I'll have to look into 135 though and research that a bit more.
Very unlikely to have to play Grizzly Adams in G!!

Region K on a good year doesn’t hold a dime to the bookcliffs regarding deer numbers.

Good luck paus08 in your decision!

You won’t draw a Book Cliffs permit with 6 points in Utah so what makes you think you can come to Wyoming and draw a premium tag like that with 6 NR points? There are many good General license areas in Wyoming but if you want an enjoyable deer hunt for a family I suggest you hunt an area easy to routinely draw and go regularly with the family, not a hard to draw limited quota area. Focus on days afield with family rather than rare or once in a lifetime opportunities. Your family will learn and grow closer on regular hunting opportunities than pie in the sky.

You won’t draw a Book Cliffs permit with 6 points in Utah so what makes you think you can come to Wyoming and draw a premium tag like that with 6 NR points? There are many good General license areas in Wyoming but if you want an enjoyable deer hunt for a family I suggest you hunt an area easy to routinely draw and go regularly with the family, not a hard to draw limited quota area. Focus on days afield with family rather than rare or once in a lifetime opportunities. Your family will learn and grow closer on regular hunting opportunities than pie in the sky.
I spend two weeks hunting with my family every single year in Utah on the general tags. I don't need to come to Wyoming to see the same **** I can see in Utah on general tags, if I wanted to do that I wouldn't have 6 points built up I'd be hunting Wyoming deer every year or at least every other year but I have no desire to come hunt Wyoming general units that every other resident of Wyoming is hunting. And if you think the book cliffs is a premium tag well you're not much help then lol.

I spend two weeks hunting with my family every single year in Utah on the general tags. I don't need to come to Wyoming to see the same **** I can see in Utah on general tags, if I wanted to do that I wouldn't have 6 points built up I'd be hunting Wyoming deer every year or at least every other year but I have no desire to come hunt Wyoming general units that every other resident of Wyoming is hunting. And if you think the book cliffs is a premium tag well you're not much help then lol.
I wouldn’t compare a Wyoming general unit to a Utah general unit. That’s like comparing Rosie o Donnell to Cindy Crawford.

The biggest bucks in Wyoming come from General areas but not from arrogant non-residents who don’t want to put in the time and effort required to learn an area after years of hunting and learning the best areas and how the animals react during hunting season. Hunting a limited quota area might lower the huniting pressure but many of those units are extremely dry with very low deer numbers anyways. Utah has 3 million people with 100,000 deer hunters. If you think you can compare Utah hunting to General hunting for residents of Wyoming then this is a major reason you’ll likely never harvest anything of quality in either state. There are many non-residents who come to Wyoming and go for a nice little morning drive about but very few actual knowledgeable and skilled hunters. I think you should just quit now before you waste anymore time and money on a future tag soup hunt in Wyoming though we do like the non-resident tourists spending money here but best to just come during the Summer and go on a nice little drive or a little hike.

The biggest bucks in Wyoming come from General areas but not from arrogant non-residents who don’t want to put in the time and effort required to learn an area after years of hunting and learning the best areas and how the animals react during hunting season. Hunting a limited quota area might lower the huniting pressure but many of those units are extremely dry with very low deer numbers anyways. Utah has 3 million people with 100,000 deer hunters. If you think you can compare Utah hunting to General hunting for residents of Wyoming then this is a major reason you’ll likely never harvest anything of quality in either state. There are many non-residents who come to Wyoming and go for a nice little morning drive about but very few actual knowledgeable and skilled hunters. I think you should just quit now before you waste anymore time and money on a future tag soup hunt in Wyoming though we do like the non-resident tourists spending money here but best to just come during the Summer and go on a nice little drive or a little hike.
Wtf the guy just want to take his Democrats on a hunt with him.

All I was asking was there a unit in Wyoming similar to the book cliffs meaning could a guy ride around with his young kids and look at deer and possible harvest an average buck, I wasn't looking for a 190 buck. I didn't want the pressure of what I've known as general tags but I guess Wyoming isn't as bad as utah in that aspect. Sorry if I came off as a douche in my comment I was just thinking if Wyoming was anything like utah the limited quota areas gave you a much better hunt with more deer and less people.

All I was asking was there a unit in Wyoming similar to the book cliffs meaning could a guy ride around with his young kids and look at deer and possible harvest an average buck, I wasn't looking for a 190 buck. I didn't want the pressure of what I've known as general tags but I guess Wyoming isn't as bad as utah in that aspect. Sorry if I came off as a douche in my comment I was just thinking if Wyoming was anything like utah the limited quota areas gave you a much better hunt with more deer and less people.
Can I go to the Utah forums and ask can I draw a Paunsagaunt type tag with 6 points as a NR? I get what you are asking for but a more REALISTIC way of asking is what is a good unit with 6 points in Wyoming, PERIOD...... I’ll help you out with that one, many GENERAL areas in Wyoming don’t get near the pounding Utah units receive as there are far less hunters than Utah, some of them contain Wilderness and The Limited Quota units you can draw in Wyoming with 6 points will produce far less decent bucks as many of those units are extremely Dry and difficult to hunt with a far less renewable resource. Right now the Wyoming deer herd as most Western deer herds are way off where they were from even a decade ago but really haven’t recovered since the bad winter of 92. This is due to many reasons but drought, bad winters, an ever increasing elk population and decreasing winter range due to massive oil and gas extraction are just some of the reasons. Having said that there are still some good hunting to be had if you do some pre season scouting and put in some effort.

Can I go to the Utah forums and ask can I draw a Paunsagaunt type tag with 6 points as a NR? I get what you are asking for but a more REALISTIC way of asking is what is a good unit with 6 points in Wyoming, PERIOD...... I’ll help you out with that one, many GENERAL areas in Wyoming don’t get near the pounding Utah units receive as there are far less hunters than Utah, some of them contain Wilderness and The Limited Quota units you can draw in Wyoming with 6 points will produce far less decent bucks as many of those units are extremely Dry and difficult to hunt with a far less renewable resource. Right now the Wyoming deer herd as most Western deer herds are way off where they were from even a decade ago but really haven’t recovered since the bad winter of 92. This is due to many reasons but drought, bad winters, an ever increasing elk population and decreasing winter range due to massive oil and gas extraction are just some of the reasons. Having said that there are still some good hunting to be had if you do some pre season scouting and put in some effort.
Altitude sickness?

Ok let me rephrase everything then, WHAT IS A GOOD UNIT WITH 6 POINTS IN WYOMING? Will you help me out with that haha?

Yes you can go to Utah forums and ask if ya can draw the pauns with 6 points and the answer is yes you can there is a chance ?

Yes you can go to Utah forums and ask if ya can draw the pauns with 6 points and the answer is yes you can there is a chance ?
. One can always dream of Pie in the Sky though very few will ever win the Mega Millions Lottery. Keep hoping though, meanwhile I will go hunt those Realistic units which I draw regularly and consistently and many of the biggest bucks are taken.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom