X ZONES

I have six prefrence points for deer. I am trying to decide between three different X zones, X5b, X7a, and X7b. Does anybody have any experience in these zones?

I've hunted X 7b 4 or 5 times. My boys have drawn it and My Buddies Daughter has drawn it twice as junior hunters. My Bro in Law drew it last year and my buddy the year before. I have been putting in for the last 6 years with no luck that's how I got all of my points.

Anyway, it is a decent area but ONLY if it gets some weather during the season. If it is still warm up there the dirt bike riders and campers will run you off of the hill. If you get weather, I have an area that you just set up on and the deer funnel through like it was a freeway heading down to Nevada.

-John Wayne

Take a look at x12. Takes 4 points to draw, good genetics and if you get weather then you should have a great hunt.

Chris
Monobasinoutfitters.com

If had a choice between the two and I wanted to kill a forked horn I would take 7a its the forked horn king of units some where near 50% of the deer killed,Not saying there are not big deer there but those are the numbers.If i wanted to hunt a older mature and more than likley pure rocky moutain mule deer I would take 7b,and hunt as close to the nevada border as I could near I-80 north or south side.

Chances are: X5a, No...X3a, Maybe....X3b, yes!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

manzanamangler no matter what unit folks tell you what they think is the best,its all going to be up to you to scout the area and find a good spot.Then hope the buck or bucks are there come opening day.To many people just want to go to the best area because it a easy hunt any of the 7s you can shoot a buck from the road if you spend some time behind the wheel, may not be big but you will get a shot.
If i were you I would pic the area you want to go to and spend a year scouting the place before you put in for it,If you dont like what you see wait another year and scout another unit because when you draw your points are gone and its gona be 6 more years before you can hunt there again or more.
where are you located?Is scouting the northern units a option for you.

Yeah, these northern X zones are not that easy to draw and even when a guy gets enough points to draw, the hunt is not likely to be a easy one. Last year i drew X3-a and spent over a week scouting, gathered up several places of private property to hunt, hunted it every day of the season, and still didn't see a shooter buck. I know of 3 honest 30"+ bucks that were taken and a good handful of other dandy buck that were shot by others but the bigger bucks eluded me.

5a can be a ##### to hunt as well. I've hunted it 3 times in the last 20 some years and the best buck i seen during the season was a plain Jane 24" 4X4 that i passed up looking for a dandy. I've seen them scouting, i've seen huge bucks there after the season, i love hunting that kind of country but just because it takes a lot of points to draw, don't mean the bigger bucks are going to make themselves available.

As 6x7 said, if you can possibly make several trips to scout out an area, do so. If you can obtain permission to hunt on private that hold deer, do that too. Make sure that when you finally do have the tag and ready to hunt, that you have a rabbits foot in your pocket because several of the bigger bucks i spoke of being shot by others, were shot by guys who didn't have a clue and pure lucked into their trophy.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-12 AT 02:27PM (MST)[p]Unless you can scout(alot), and know what your doing, you'll be disappointed. Unless your looking for any legal buck......

I've been in X3-B enough times to know that would not be an X-zone that I'd not want to burn many points for. Very few deer in the unit right now, but hopefully it'll cycle back up in the next 10 or so years.

Last year it took 8 to draw so he close on X5B

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Last year there were probably 500 people that applied for that hunt with more points than him that did not get drawn! That does not count those with more points than him that will jump in this year or have simply been buying points waiting for the right time to apply.

HE can draw x5b via random but he will have to wait about 5 years or more to drawa via points!

X-12.....hunt the Bodie Hills.
Big Mule Deer are in the sage and rockie crags.
Paul
"Nice Rack" Taxidermy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom