X Zones

3x2

How was everyone's X-Zones hunts this year? Hot, dry, full moon, locked public access, and a mid-season Covid scare made for an interesting one for me. Thanks again to everyone I reached out to for information on my hunt.
IMG_0001.JPG

A buddy had X4, a friend's wife had X6A, and Dad had X6B. Dad seen a spike, buddy's wife killed a forky, and the guy with the X4 tag missed a buck about 25 and tried hunting him the rest of the season until he found him lion killed the day before the end. Couldn't find a buck after that.

X zone was tough. Went 3 / 6 with fork and 3x's being the norm or nothing at all in most camps. Rained day before I left but first time I've hunted with no snow in my X-zone.

That said, I have seen pictures of some freakin' whoppers killed in Cali this year in the northern X's, but that's the exception and not the rule. Congrats on your buck.

Oh, had several lion encounters and the most cat tracks I've ever seen too.

Broke my leg night before opener..
2020...need I sayvm more got my points back..plus a point.
I surrendered tag 5 days ago with surgery note.
Jester

Worst year of hunting California that I can remember and everyone else I have spoke with agrees as well. Can’t believe how bad it was.

Very slow year in X6A for us. Had 4 tags, and was letting my daughters fill their tags first. Saw 4 legal bucks in 6-7 days of hunting. One daughter tagged out on a 3 point, my other daughter missed a couple chances at 2 average bucks.

hwy

Curious as to how many Folks showed up in X2 only to find out the majority of the northeastern corner, owned by Collins Timber, was gated-posted and patrolled? Compared to years past, when it sounded like a dove opener up there, we heard a total of 4 shots the entire season from that area. It's no secret that, by far, that majority of the bucks taken in the entire zone have come from that area. Drove into the campground at Janes Reservoir and saw a couple bucks hanging that may have had their first antlers ever. I do know of a few dandy's taken though...but VERY few! The 38 incher posted above was one of them. With that much of the zone closed, it's going to be interesting to see if there will be any changes to the tag quota next year.

Deerdon, you've had quite a bit of success over the years yourself in X2--did you hunt there or help folks out this year?

One of these years, I'll get a whopper in the X's. Killed good ones, but no whoppers. 38"er would make Mr. Snoopster quite the happy person.

For sure, but I need one to jump in front of MY bullet when I'm there! You think I'm asking for the impossible. :LOL:

Just let me let loose a 150 grain pill (copper of course) on a chunky-ass muley in my home state, like the kind I get out of state. Is 30+ inches asking for too much?????

Deerdon, you've had quite a bit of success over the years yourself in X2--did you hunt there or help folks out this year?
My Nephew had the tag this year and we spent the entire season up there. The areas I hunt have a much lower deer density that most...but we are usually able to turn up something pretty good. In 13 days of hunting HARD, I saw a total of 11 bucks. most were just average, but 3 were pretty good...and one of those was a real STUD! I'll bet we saw no ore than 30ish deer the entire time were there. Went several days without seeing so much as a doe, but did turn up our target buck on three separate occasions. My nephew had a solid 180 buck broadside at one point and elected to let him go. That's what happens when you see a true monster early. Long story short, he let two very nice bucks go and never could put it together on the one we were after. Ended up taking a young 4x4 on our last evening. They were rounding up horses while we were there and, although MUCH better than before, those horses can throw a real wrench in the gears on a stalk. The horse situation is still very bad, and they have a long ways to go, but they're definitely putting a tiny dent in it.
Spoke with many hunters that were desperate after learning of the land closure in "the burn." On the national forest property, along the edge of the burn, it was a very crowded. It was obvious people had showed up banking on hunting the area that was closed.
On another note, I did find a massive set of 7 by 7 elk sheds. When I say massive, what I mean is you put your index fingers and thumbs together on both hands to make a circle....and that circle just barley fits around the bases of these dang things.
Lastly...some of you may have been aware of the rumored GIANT "East Road" buck that some say the last couple of governors tag holders were after. Unfortunately that buck was taken last year. I was shown photos and he was clearly past his prime....still a dandy, but nothing like he was a couple years ago.

Not saying any names but rumor has it a very wealthy man had a chopper up just “flying” around , and ALAKAZAMMM !!!!! 38 in monster down !!! Not the first time this man has takin a giant in this unit !
All of you guys really need to get the facts straight before you guys start making accusations on here.... also hes 36" wide 6x6, amazing buck none the less

No different then any other state you ought to try Utah general seasons it’s forked horn central
I’m sure there are problems in many states, but a 3-10 year wait for some of these X zones is crazy. My dad drew devils garden after a 18 year wait and it was terrible last year. I think many other states will soon find out that “general“ tags are hard on the deer quality. Maybe it’s possible that when people have no vested wait to get drawn there is somewhat less expectation and may result in more young bucks being shot. Who knows, I sure don’t. Hopefully we can get some normal weather throughout the west to help the herds.

I think there's more big bucks in this state people realize but I don't think MOST people take the time to find em and then blast the first forky they see. Im as guilty as the next guy.

sounds like it struck your nerve. Were you in the helicopter?
Never have looked for deer from a helicopter, not an ethical practice to me... No didn't strike a nerve with me, just get tired of reading the B.S. these guys put on here when they dont even know the true story or facts is all. Then again it is the internet and a forum so take it for what its worth i guess.

Never have looked for deer from a helicopter, not an ethical practice to me... No didn't strike a nerve with me, just get tired of reading the B.S. these guys put on here when they dont even know the true story or facts is all. Then again it is the internet and a forum so take it for what its worth i guess.
Yes. Could have been flying around getting a pony count. Who knows, but rumors spread fast.
The fighter jets are fun to watch in the mid day lulls though. ****. That guy must be loaded, probably has the Air Force spotting for him too. Lol.

Don’t mind me, just stirrin’ the pot....

Here ya go. What's crazy about this is the fact that it really wasn't all that long ago that someone even claiming to be seeing elk or bears up there would have been labeled crazy. To my knowledge, there have been a few bulls in the 400ish range taken up there.
View attachment 16650
They killed that Bull in the south end of the warners. just an fyi. there are some big bulls in the garden as well though.

How was everyone's X-Zones hunts this year? Hot, dry, full moon, locked public access, and a mid-season Covid scare made for an interesting one for me. Thanks again to everyone I reached out to for information on my hunt.View attachment 15587
How was everyone's X-Zones hunts this year? Hot, dry, full moon, locked public access, and a mid-season Covid scare made for an interesting one for me. Thanks again to everyone I reached out to for information on my hunt.View attachment 15587
This year was tough for sure been looking around last few years and had no problem turning up some nice ones but this years conditions were brutal. Took the best buck I saw and didn’t turn up near the numbers I expected, maybe that’s good for future years!

056EC0BF-0814-4A20-B2AD-FFAE610099FA.jpeg

Not saying any names but rumor has it a very wealthy man had a chopper up just “flying” around , and ALAKAZAMMM !!!!! 38 in monster down !!! Not the first time this man has takin a giant in this unit !
Every time a big buck hits the dirt, someone (usually very jealous people) will try to throw some shade on it. Then other Folks seem to feel the need to pass it on because they think it's juicy news.
The hunter that took that buck is a well know hunter from a well know family in Tule Lake. The buck had been on the radar of several hunters....and he claimed the golden ticket. To the hunter - "Great job, Awesome buck and Congratulations."
For the record...I'm jealous and this is how I have chosen to handle it.

This year was tough for sure been looking around last few years and had no problem turning up some nice ones but this years conditions were brutal. Took the best buck I saw and didn’t turn up near the numbers I expected, maybe that’s good for future years!

View attachment 16712
Nice buck, buckmstr28. Looks like a zone that is just north east of me!
well done

Should be drawing A-27 this year and was wondering if you had any advice?
As I have mentioned before, a large northeastern portion of the unit is now closed (Collins Timber private property) . This is virtually all of the Barry Point fire burn scar. I keep hearing Folks say..."ya need weather to get the deer to move in from Oregon." This used to be true...but no longer matters much. For many years now, the Oregon herd has been hunted under the "visible horns" criteria. That and the herd numbers themselves make it so the migration is not all that much of a factor any more. I'm not saying that some good bucks don't indeed move down...I'm just saying the migration is but a fraction of what it used to be. What you DO want is enough weather to help move the bucks out of that private Timber lands and then out into the A27 boundary areas. With that large section closed, the age class up there is going to improve for sure....but they will stay up there until the weather moves them. Last year, they just barely started to move my the very end of the season. One of the largest bucks in the sate came from the other side of the unit last year...so they truly could be anywhere. In short...The buck of your dreams is most likely already living in the unit...and weather would sure help in getting him out and about! GOOD LUCK!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom