X2 Archery =A4

mobertok

Hi all! does anyone know if this zone is very archery friendly?
Wondering if it is a good zone for stalking, glassing, tree stands and even if the bucks are hard to find in August?
Thanks for any input.
Mark

X2 is definitely a great zone, if you can get on a ridge or bluff it is good for glassing. But getting down on the deer is tough, with that being said if can find bucks that are using the same trail every day you can set up an ambush for them. Most of the trees in X2 are juniper so using a tree stand would be more difficult than say a pine tree. The best bet to finding bucks would to be glassing early in the mornings and late in the evenings.

I had a rifle tag in the Garden this year. There is a lot of different country there. I found that the deer were pretty easy to glass and stayed along tree lines and ridges in October. I found the deer in there pretty much stayed on the same areas throughout the summer into fall.
I spent most of my time up in the burns and has success making stalks on deer that I glassed up far away. Hope this helps.

heywouldya

X2 has great opportunity. I've hunted east side of X1 with success in both archery and rifle, and I goose hunt in X2 in Fall. Not conducive to stand hunting, but water is limiting, and pop-up blind near H20 can be the ticket. Personally I'd cover as many miles of the abundant forest rd network as possible in July (to access terrain to spot from) to get an idea of where the bachelor groups are located. Deer are spread out, but they are pretty visible in July/August when you find them. There are only ~10 tags for that area, so basically zero competition, and the deer let you see them/get closer without the wariness that happens in Oct. In my experience in X1, bucks I found in July, were fairly easy to find just prior to the archery hunt. Doesn't mean they were easy to harvest though.....

FYI. There is a good mexican grill on the north side of the hwy in Fall River, and a good breakfast place (Chatty Kathys) in Mcarthur, on the way to X2.

With the 4+ pts you must have to be considering this....there are a couple other hunts (where you could look over more deer), with that level of pts to be used on an archery hunt.....Check the stats that DFG posts...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom