X2 Archery

Rampage1

Thinking about burning my points on this hunt because there’s not much else to wait for in this state and I don’t have a hunt lined up for August.

Have friends that have done well here during the rifle hunt, but they seem to be hunting (or at least hoping for) bucks coming down from Oregon in the fall.

Enough decent local bucks around in the summer to make things interesting on the bow hunt?

X2 is great in any season, but especially so if you have access to private lands. There are good bucks on public lands, too, but you have to work a little harder. I have never hunted the unit but have found plenty of good deer at higher elevations during summer scouting trips. The country is relatively open to allow spot and stalk hunting as well (you probably knew this). In any event, good luck.

I’ve been through that area but never hunted it, I had looked into doing archery in x2 at one time but everyone says the big ones come down out of Oregon. The Oregon zone above x2 is over the counter for archery so is it worth burning points in x2 on archery when you can hunt on the other side of the border OTC? That was just my thoughts when I looked at it

I’ve been through that area but never hunted it, I had looked into doing archery in x2 at one time but everyone says the big ones come down out of Oregon. The Oregon zone above x2 is over the counter for archery so is it worth burning points in x2 on archery when you can hunt on the other side of the border OTC? That was just my thoughts when I looked at it

Yeah, I kinda end up at the same place when I think it through. The thing that keeps bringing back to it is that there are only 10 tags on the whole unit for archery. That’s a lot of country for 10 guys to spread out. If you do manage to find a good one there’s a good chance you’ll have him all to yourself...

I had the NE rifle elk tag a few years ago. I ran a ton of cameras throughout the Devil's Garden from top to bottom. I was expecting to see a lot more deer than my cameras picked up. Don't burn a lot of points on the hunt that's all I can say.

How many points do you have?

This is a very small snapshot of what the zone has to offer so take it for what it's worth. I scouted the Devils Garden portion of X2 a couple years back over Labor Day and was very surprised at the lack of deer that we saw.

All the x zones hold a few big resident bucks. Ive not been in X2 specifically, but live nearby..ive had several acquaintances hunt it and scout it and from what Ive heard of it, not worth the points it takes to draw (rifle tag anyway). I'm not sure about the archery hunt but seems like there are better places to hunt with the points it probably takes to draw the late archery tag. That's my .02 and again, I don't have boots on the ground experience with the unit..might be better off splitting your points with a family member or good hunting buddy for a rifle hunt or maybe X5a-b archery.

I've hunted A4 (X2 archery) several times, back when you could draw it every other year. As it has continued to creep with points, I haven't archery hunted in in 8 years or so. Its a great hunt if you're looking to get away from other hunters due to the low number of tags. However, there is a low number of deer during this hunt and it can be extremely grueling out in the sun all day chasing bucks. Most times I ended up sunburned, dusty, hot, frustrated and thirsty.

If you scout it well throughout the summer, you can pattern the bucks pretty well and they'll still be in the same routine by archery. (as long as no cats show up)

That being said, there is some big bucks out there, but they're few and far between and it takes a long time learning them and the areas they frequent. Hardest part is closing the distance into archery range in the wide open, dusty and dry conditions.

It's an up early, glass for hours, bed 'em and put on a stalk. If you're looking to road hunt, don't waste your points. Some guys will sit water, but there's more out there than you think! So if you're going to sit water, make sure you patterned the bucks to it consistently. Also, you cannot sit on guzzlers, and yes, the warden checks them.

I really enjoy this hunt, but you must be mentally prepared for it. Now that it takes 4-5 points, I'd rather hunt other archery X-zones you can draw more often. I feel like opportunity to hunt more frequently, and learn an area, is more important than the occasional chance in this zone. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck and shoot straight!
Ryan

are there deer? yes are the numbers even close to what used to be there ? no

>I scouted the Devils Garden portion of X2 a couple years back over Labor Day and was very surprised at the lack of deer that we saw. <

>Some guys will sit water, but there's more out there than you think! So if you're going to sit water, make sure you patterned the bucks to it consistently <
spot on about the amount of water when you actually start looking there is lots more than you would expect

that pretty much summed up our scouting last summer and fall before rifle. if your willing to eat a tag you certainly could scrounge up a nice buck. it is not worth the points that it takes to draw rifle IMO. The down from Oregon info might possibly be a little dated. pretty much all the hunters and all the animals that we found were in one area that gets talked about an awful lot. it took us 8 points to draw rifle its probably worth closer to 3 or 4 points. but it does seem like quite a few of the X zones are becoming that way point wise. good luck

Last edited:
To the OP , to be clear i understand that you are thinking archery. my info was just meant to help out a little in general even though we hunted rifle. its really neat country i would hunt it every year if i could.

Thanks for all the useful info. I think I’ve come full circle and have decided to hang onto my points this year. Still got a little more time to change my mind 5 more times though.

CF49A616-8DFC-47E3-9760-03A1C20CC040.jpeg
Ran into a couple fairly bold X2 buck eaters a few weeks ago. Not many deer, but quite a bit of old sign.

We camp there every memorial weekend (this year included). Its not a great time of year to see the deer IMO but we always see a few and some bucks.

This year we didnt see any bucks worth the points but every year for the last 6 or so leading up to last year we saw more and bigger bucks on the unit.

There are very few deer that live there year round IMO and the ones that do are concentrated in the area around the recent burns. But that word is out and there will be a lot of people there on the rifle and probably 9 of the 10 archery hunters.

I have hunted it a couple times in rifle (05 and 14) and the deer still move down from Oregon later in the season. There are places where you can see new deer daily with a bit of weather in the last few days of the hunt.

It takes too many points to draw the tag so we quit putting in for it. I hunt with my 80 year old dad and refuse to gamble with time. The tag is worth the points but only if you have them.

Horses are a growing problem on the unit. Last time we had tags you couldn't walk without bumping horses which resulted in a big question mark on if the deer left thus ruining many hunts.

I love that place and KNOW there is big bucks there. I also know they can be anywhere on the unit. And the entire rifle season can go by and not much for new deer move in.

This year we saw a lot of deer on the southern end of the burn while looking for a place to set up to call coyotes. All does and one spike. Probably 25 deer in one quick drive through in the a.m. they hadn't dropped fawns yet. We did some shed hunting and didnt jump any deer but paid no attention to wind.

20200525_100202.jpg

If you draw shoot me a PM.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom