X2, X6A, X6B

DeerHunter53

Long Time Member
Hey guys I need a little help, my son and I have decided to burn our points this year as we are one point behind max therefore we will never draw the G-39 or any of those kinds of hunts. With the point creep we are out of luck

So if you were going to hunt any of the three zones I have listed which one would you choose.

I am leaning on X-2 as there are more 4 points shot there and they are Mule deer. In X6a or X6b there are a mix of Blacktails and Mule deer.

So if anyone can help or would like to PM me thanks in advance just looking for a little confirmation as to my choice

MM

I've hunted X2 and X6A. Completely 2 different units, terrain-wise. Are you looking for filling a tag or getting a big buck?

I've hunted X2 and X6A. Completely 2 different units, terrain-wise. Are you looking for filling a tag or getting a big buck?
big bucks if possible we will have my grandkids with us so we just want a chance at a decent buck. I think X6a has blacktails in it so we are just interested in mule deer

X2 is your zone. I had M3 and my nephew had X6b last year, mother nature was not nice to us last year. Had buddy's hunt X2 last year and they saw way more deer than I did, both got nice, not huge 4x4's

You will find mostly mule deer in X6A. And I think you'd have a hard time finding any black tail in X6B. There may be some mule/blacktail crosses but all the deer I see in the X6 zones are mule deer. I don't go to the western side though.

Can't speak for the other zones but the stats are out and, because of the private timber land closure, X2 did exactly what many Folks thought. Last year was the first year ever that Collins Timber closed all of their land to access of any kind. In X2....this is a large portion of the north eastern part of the zone. Since the Barry Point fire, this is also area in which most of the deer were taken every year. Stats show that the success rate dropped to 49% last year....not horrible, but down from the high 70% range just a couple years ago. If you do decide to try X2....just be aware that most of the northeast corner, commonly referred to as..."the burn" is off limits.

I don't hunt x2, but have observed that a lot of bid deer are taken there. I could not advise you where to go. I do hunt x6 units and know them pretty well. Knowledge of the unit is critical, and although there are good deer taken every year, I would wager these are killed almost entirely by locals. Most folks quickly settle for a forkie if they get anything at all. Point is, hunt the unit you can learn or you will have wasted a lot of points either way.

6a had timber closures as well (besides fire), wonder if SPI/Collins will keep closing at the hint of fire? With this drought/year long fire season—-who knows ?

Wonder how much NF will be closed this year due to “hazardous conditions” (decent amount was closed last year one year after previous fire)

If you do decide to try X2....just be aware that most of the northeast corner, commonly referred to as..."the burn" is off limits.

after hunting it a couple of years ago ,,, the above statement makes it an entirely new ballgame. going into the hunt all i heard was "the burn" so naturally i wanted to avoid it. as it turns out that's exactly where we saw the deer. pretty low to dismal numbers of critters is what we saw scouting and actually hunting in the rest of the zone.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom