X3B hunt

H

hntreric

Well 6 of us left on Thursday before the opener for X3b. We had high hopes like anyone else would. On opening day we woke up to heavy rain and wind. Weather was looking good but no deer to be found. The second day one of the young guys with us got a very nice 3x2. The deer weighed in at 172lbs field dress and yes we did bring a commercail scale to weigh them. We also missed a very nice buck and yes i was one of the three who missed. Feeling like I may have blown a good chance I wasn't in the best of moods, oh well with one buck down things though were looking promising. The weather turned warm the next two day and hardly a deer was seen.Then on Wedneday the tempature turn cold again and we ended up getting our second buck of the group. Things were looking better again even though the week was about half over and missing my oppurtunity was still in the back of my mind.Wednesday night my brother said lets go try a spot I spotted earlier when he was up scouting, we all agreed. Thursday morning we woke to the coldest morning so far. It was 26 degrees out and we were excited about our planned hunt. We drove to the area we planned out and it stated to snow. Things were looking promising.When we started out on our adventure walking slowly through the timber we actually saw the most sign of deer then we saw all week. I finally made it to a clearing so I stopped to watch for awhile. Then I spotted a brown movement through the trees heading right for me. Right behind it was another movement, sure enough two bucks trotting right to me. I just waited until the first one came in to me about 40 yards away and turned broadside. Bang and down he went, unfortunately the second one ran to my brother and he missed. It wasn't the size you dream about when you draw a premium tag, but it did weigh in at 153Lbs. I was definatly expecting to see some monster mulies whether I had a chance to get one or not it would have nice to see some. We had a great trip and we ended up with 3 bucks out of 6 guys.

Sounds like a great hunt....My daughter took a nice 3x2 there a couple weeks ago on a Saturday. Huge body!! Her first buck. Shot him with her trusty .243. pc

Paul,
You mail that package to me yet? Nothing in mail today, maybe tomorrow?? I am leaving here next WED. so hope it gets here before I leave or you will have to wait till next month for me to post the pics.

Brian

hntreric, congrats on your hunt!!

Sounds like you got to hunt some nice country and you guys probably did better than most. I look forward to seeing the pic's and we'll both just have to get that real big ol boy, next year!!

Joey

>WHAT WERE THE RACKS ON LAST
>TWO BUCKS?
>RM

The last two bucks were just forked horns. Like I said it would have been nice to see those monsters that you read about, but I am still satisfied with a freezer full of meet. Next year going back to C-1 though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom