X3B

June90

Hello everyone I’m new here to this great site. I just recently applied for my first mule deer tag at X3B and won! Now I’m doing some research on where to go find the buck. From what I’ve read the top place to go is the southern wilderness in the Warner mountains. Any different suggestions? Of trailheads to follow up there? Or areas? Thank you

Hello everyone I’m new here to this great site. I just recently applied for my first mule deer tag at X3B and won! Now I’m doing some research on where to go find the buck. From what I’ve read the top place to go is the southern wilderness in the Warner mountains. Any different suggestions? Of trailheads to follow up there? Or areas? Thank you
. Alfalfa fields

Don’t want to give you bad news, but X3B is a tough hunt. Some people luck out and kill a decent buck, and a huge buck or two gets killed every once in a while, but the herd up there is a fraction of what it used to be or what it should be. The herd took some big hits back in the late 80’s and early 90’s and now the lions won’t let them come back. The Warner Mtns. are gorgeous so it can be a fun hunt if your expectations aren’t to high. If you want to access the South Warner Wilderness, head to the East Creek trailhead or the trailhead out of Paterson campground. Hope your one of the lucky ones to find a dandy.

Don’t want to give you bad news, but X3B is a tough hunt. Some people luck out and kill a decent buck, and a huge buck or two gets killed every once in a while, but the herd up there is a fraction of what it used to be or what it should be. The herd took some big hits back in the late 80’s and early 90’s and now the lions won’t let them come back. The Warner Mtns. are gorgeous so it can be a fun hunt if your expectations aren’t to high. If you want to access the South Warner Wilderness, head to the East Creek trailhead or the trailhead out of Paterson campground. Hope your one of the lucky ones to find a dandy.

thanks for the advice! I just need a starting point and I’ll take it from there. I hope I’m one of the lucky ones.

If you can't get access to an alfalfa field, try to find an area that has burned as recently as possible. There have been a couple fires...but not many! I swear, the Warners are made out of asbestos!

oh man ok will do! Thanks for the tip! I’ve been hunting in the Sierra’s for years I’m excited to try something different.

Beautiful country. I’ve been hunting there for years. Last few years I debate putting in for another zone. Numbers have decreased quite a bit. You can glass areas, remote places with everything deer need and not spot a single deer. Walk the area and zero sign. A canyon like that in Wyoming or Nevada you’d be looking for a shooter not just a buck. Having said that there’s still deer in pockets. Just gotta find them. It’s big enough country with isolated areas where some monsters still roam. Good luck

Beautiful country. I’ve been hunting there for years. Last few years I debate putting in for another zone. Numbers have decreased quite a bit. You can glass areas, remote places with everything deer need and not spot a single deer. Walk the area and zero sign. A canyon like that in Wyoming or Nevada you’d be looking for a shooter not just a buck. Having said that there’s still deer in pockets. Just gotta find them. It’s big enough country with isolated areas where some monsters still roam. Good luck

thanks for the tips and reply I’m planning on heading up there next month for some scouting.

oh man ok will do! Thanks for the tip! I’ve been hunting in the Sierra’s for years I’m excited to try something different.
Hunt the public ground that borders the hay, you might catch a decent buck coming off the hay. Other than that Fandango pass and Dismal Swamp are popular areas. Might check over in the east side or North end of the Unit too.

Hunt the public ground that borders the hay, you might catch a decent buck coming off the hay. Other than that Fandango pass and Dismal Swamp are popular areas. Might check over in the east side or North end of the Unit too.

Thank you I’ll add those areas on my notes for places to check out! Appreciate it! How’s the hunting in X7A ? I’ve never been there, I’ve been hunting in D7 my entire hunting life and always had good luck I’ve never changed zones. Wondering what else is out there

Thank you I’ll add those areas on my notes for places to check out! Appreciate it! How’s the hunting in X7A ? I’ve never been there, I’ve been hunting in D7 my entire hunting life and always had good luck I’ve never changed zones. Wondering what else is out there
It's been 4 years since I've had the tag but I spend a lot of time in the unit looking for bucks. Some really good bucks get killed out of the zone if you put your time in and get off the roads. Way too many people drive through and shoot the first forked horn or little 3 point that jumps up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom