X5b

JFA

Spent the last three days up there checking out all our leads. We saw quite a few bucks even with the hot temps. Any one hunt it in the last couple of years that would like to share there experience? I'd like to see how you did and where you found deer.

Thanks

I wish you luck I will be just across 395!

It will be interesting to see how the hunt goes over there this year I think it still could be pretty good considering the reduced number of tags. Don't just drive past the burn areas there will be deer there too. How much info from past years will help is anybody's guess

The wife had X5b year before last. We hunted hard for 5 days and she was never able to connect. We had plenty of opportunity at small 2-3 point deer. We did see some nicer bucks and were unable to seal the deal. We never did see any truly monsterous deer. The best we saw was a 26-27" 3-point that was running with a handful of other mid 20's three and four points. We were hunting on the back side of Shinn Mt off of the Shinn Ranch Rd. All of the canyons heading up the mountain had deer each day. Best of luck, this is a tough hunt in my opinion. That being said, my wife should have had a nice heavy 3 for the wall but she just couldn't steady for the shot.-----SS

I recently moved from the area but spent the past 23 years hunting chukar in 5b. I have been told by a few of my partners that all but the "recognized" roads have been or are in the process of being closed by BLM. The last time they pulled that crap was during clinton's reign. Anyhow if that is the case I would guess Smoke Creek Road, Shinn Ranch Road and Skiddadle Ranch Road will be the only roads open.
I spent quite a bit of time out there after the 2012/13 chukar season this year calling dogs prior to their denning up. There are still deer out there.
Good luck!
Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

We hunted it last year. Deer everywhere on Shinn, Spanish Springs,and Observation. We hunted all over the unit and saw bucks everywhere we went except McDonalds peak. It didn't burn and looked the best but no deer.I was very disappointed at the genetics. It was very hard to find an even 4x4 or 3x3. Almost everything was 4x3, or 3x2. It was a fun hunt but last year we just didn't see any quality bucks. You never know, this year may be different.
Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-13 AT 06:30PM (MST)[p]Yes but not what we were looking for. My buddy killed a 25" 4x4 but it was kind of short. He killed it in the middle of the last week and was happy with it. My son killed an old 4x3 buck that was reverting back and had short stubby horns but was kind of neat looking. He killed his on the last Saturday and I think he was a little disappointed. I killed a 24" 4x3 on the last morning. I was definitely disappointed as I was hoping to see Mr big, but never did. It was a good buck for the last day though. But I hunted 14 days up there and probably had the most fun hunting I've ever had. It was pretty cool to be able to see up to 30+ bucks in a day.
I have no doubt that you will see lots of bucks but who knows what kind of size they will be. Have fun.

Dean.

One problem with that suggestion chasendeer, that would be in Nevada and the last time I checked they really frowned on people hunting Nevada with a California tag.

I was thinking the exact same thing! Hunted X5B four times in an eight year stretch but the last time was nine or ten years ago. Not sure how much help my info would be now.

Don't forget about the Cottonwood Mtns. A buddy of mine killed a 200 2/8" buck there about five years ago on his X5b tag. It was 32 1/2" wide and super heavy.

Also, while the Rush Fire burned nearly all of the Skedaddle and Cherry Creek Mtns, Shinn Mtn was spared more than I expected. There are deer (and a few elk!) up on Shinn this summer.

There is still a ton of country that the fire did not burn. I was all over that country, scouting for Nevada antelope, last weekend, and I was surprised at how much of X5B did not burn. You'll have plenty of places to hunt.

Somebody arrowed a HUGE buck in there last week.....check with your archery friends for a pic.....supposed to have scored 204 and change.

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"

JFA, yes he had a story in Muley Crazy about that buck. It was an incredibly heavy 3x5. Grossed 200 2/8", not sure what the net was, who cares? I was a fantastic buck.

Would love to see pics of that big buck someone just killed up there.

Here's a huge typical arrowed in X3A (PLM tag). Reportedly grosses over 200" will net in the low 190's.

1089x3a_buck.jpg

BOHNTR )))---------->

BOHNTR, I'm curious what ranch that buck was killed on. My step-father's brother has a huge ranch in that area, right at Adin, and he gets PLM tags, but to the best of my knowledge, he only lets his grandchildren use those tags. I know they kill some very big bucks, lucky grandkids. I'm wondering if this buck was taken off a neighboring ranch, or further away.

Please PM me with the location, if you don't mind.

I have no idea what ranch it was taken off of......it was reportedly taken on a ranch in Likely, CA.

BOHNTR )))---------->

That is the pic I saw but they said it was x5.....I have no idea, but that is a HOG no matter where it came from!

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-13 AT 08:52PM (MST)[p]My guess is Alturas Ranches if killed in Likely. I work all that country calling on ranchers for my job. There will be some toads killed in X3a and x3b this year. Dont think I don't talk about buck hunting every place I stop :)

>Here's a huge typical arrowed in
>X3A (PLM tag). Reportedly
>grosses over 200" will net
>in the low 190's.
>
>
1089x3a_buck.jpg

>
>BOHNTR )))---------->

nice alfalfa buck...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom