X6B going up in flames

buckhorn

Very Active Member
It started north of Beckworth and has burned the Frenchman Lake, Dixi Mt., Adams Pk areas and is now threatening to cross Highway 395.

Its a shame... lots of good country going up, and the fawns recently dropped, might not stand any chance. Hate to have drawn the hunt, or M3 with this going, hear 395 closed from Hallelujah junction to Doyle. Pray for those in it's path.
Mike

This fire has destroyed much of the best ground and it will be decades before the bitterbrush returns. Repeated fires and constant traffic on 395 have pounded the final nail in one of my favorite units. I wonder how many tags will have to be cut. Very sad to see.

Most of the summer range higher country got torched also.
Will know more when the smoke clears but it’s not looking good from what I can see so far.

Really sad for sure, it is one of my favorite units but what is really the saddest part is that people lost their homes and buildings and burned up ranches and so on. We can all find places to hunt Deer, what they have to go through will last a lifetime. Very very sad

I strongly urge anyone with an M3 or X6B tag to come up here and take a look for yourself. That way you can form your own opinion.
That’s a lot of years of building points for a hunt that may not be what you had hoped for.

I strongly urge anyone with an M3 or X6B tag to come up here and take a look for yourself. That way you can form your own opinion.
That’s a lot of years of building points for a hunt that may not be what you had hoped for.
Jeff,

What do you think of this? Since most of the deer M3 hunters are after deer are coming out of the Dixie Mtn State Game Refuge and it appears that not much of the refuge has burned in this fire yet, is it possible this could be an incredible year to have the tag as the deer will be congregating in areas of suitable browse this year? IMO many of the migrating deer get hung up between the Refuge and the western border of M3, and this fire and lack of browse could push them directly into the M3 unit this year on an earlier timeframe. I had the tag in 2015 and if I had the tag this year I'd be watching how this fire progresses.

It's a bit of a gamble, but this could be the best year ever to have that tag. If 6x7 is around maybe he can chime in on his thoughts.

6x7 knows for sure I’m with Jeff as far as a tag holder is concerned but as for the animals a couple probably need to thin an already thinner herd. It sad if we get a decent winter it’s going to be like 92,93. My uncle has a ranch north of the unit where the summer range and mild winter range is. It burnt 100 yards from his place last year. Almost no winter feed from Doyle to pyramid lake from the last 4 years of fires. It’s hard times on animals that already struggle to get by.

I almost choose that unit this year glad I didn't now. Every year it seems to get worse. It seemed that for years when we got a fire it was a good thing as it thinned out the forest and made good feed for the animals a few years later. Like up in B-6 after that fire the area held deer for quite a few years before the bears and cougars took over that unit.
Now everything is burnt up and seems to get worse instead of better each year. And the smoke it is the worst, but I told my wife last year when she said the smoke was unbearable, I said that is not smoke it is peoples life's going up in smoke you smell. Sad

I'm sure there are a few deer who makes through the fire, I was pleasantly surprised to see the amount of local deer that made it through the camp fire in 2018. That zone like most in ca., has been going down hill, fires continue to burn up winter feed, and predator numbers not kept in check, make it tough for the deer. That winter of 92-93 killed a lot of deer and antelope in the N.E corner of the state, numbers never rebounded from that. I have a buddy who drew it last year, (M3) he hunted everyday but Thanksgiving day, his report was it's nothing like it use to be.
Having been through the camp fire, watching my home town burn, I can relate to what those are going through in its path, may god be with them, be safe.
Mike

I agree with this. Also, the state will close down a large area "around" the burn, and possibly last year's burns as well. Good luck!

My dad and I have tags this year and I guess we're lucky we can now turn tags back in and reinstate our points. I've been hunting it since I was 16 when you could get a tag almost every year. It's been five years now since the last tag and a number of places we've hunted and had planned on hunting looks to be burned now. 93k acres and 46% contained as of this morning. A big chunk has burned and they have a pretty big closed area as well.

1626190312080.png

I archery hunted X6b back when the forest service did some controlled flash burns in the spring on top and surrounding crocker Mt and the the area was crawling with bucks so I know it doesn't take long for the deer to go into the burn looking for the new growth!

Maybe not all crickets but there will be good because of it. If only there were more controlled burns these fires might not be like runaway freight trains when they start.
So hard to maintain that much forest when everyone is off fighting fires elsewhere.
The government should consider making forest service work a better option of employment with higher pay and maybe we will get more people to do forest mitigation.

Here In Northern Nevada the air quality is in the extremely hazardous range due to the smoke from California.
Californias negligent forest management practices are really f***ing us over here.
It’s actually worse than the Covid pandemic right now.

Here In Northern Nevada the air quality is in the extremely hazardous range due to the smoke from California.
Californias negligent forest management practices are really f***ing us over here.

Shits gonna burn weather you manage it or not. You get the right temps, dry weather and WIND and **** will burn. Its not like they are raking up the underbrush which is basically kindling.

Nevada desert burns every year. Maybe they should work on the sagebrush out there.

Refocusing the forest circus isn’t a viable solution. I’m pretty sure they worked from home here last year.

They ain’t your grandpa’s CCC any more. I pick up more trash in the forest than they do. :mad:

California doesn't have negligent forest management, but what they do have are several groups, like the Center For Biodiversity, et.al., that regularly sue to stop management.

Hope local gun/hunt clubs will get a group thing going and start some seeding before any rain shows up.
believe or not several 50 lb seed bags will go a long way in kick starting a patch of feed growing back. Area's close to water always helps.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom