X7A fire

X7ahunter

Pretty good fire burning X7A out of Loyalton. 2300 acres and 5 percent containment last I heard. That sucks, burning some great deer country.

From my house I can see the the fire. I can also see the Stead air base where the borate bombers are loaded and fly out from. I saw when the fire started on Friday afternoon and have not yet seen any planes fighting that fire.
A couple of drops from bombers would have easily put that fire out Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. But instead they let it get away and is now burning on both sides of Highway 395.
How could they let this happen? Politics?

I’m thinking Pelosi told her nephew to not allow any bombers to stop this fire. She will probably somehow try to blame Trump for it.
The wife and I were in Quincy yesterday and trying to get home to Reno. Had to detour all the way south to Truckee.
Highway 70 and 395 were both closed.
As of this afternoon Sunday the fire has gotten larger and more mandatory evacuations even on the Nevada side.

The fire appears to be burning itself out on the north end and now it’s headed south towards Verdi.
B606E6D2-2EC4-4E63-81F7-706B4619A128.jpeg

I watched the lightning strike that started this fire as I was scouting pronghorn in 021. There was a good smoke column within 15 minutes, but little or no aerial assault before evening. By the next morning there was a steady stream of air tankers dropping along the ridge. In my years of fighting fire I never saw a conveyor belt of retardant like that one. Still, too little, too late. Nothing can replace helattack, jumpers, and shot crews once night falls, and that first evening is critical. Air tankers are effective, but we have become over-reliant on these at the expense of boots on the ground.

I've been watching the fire with a front row view since it started. Saw the strike that started it. Have some phone skope video of one of the fire tornado's. They had tanker planes going non stop during the day time and at least 6 helicopters bombing the fire non stop. They also were setting back fires and running at least 7 dozers on the North side. Not sure why you guys couldn't see the effort they were putting into trying to get it under control. If you would have seen the intensity of the fire you would understand. We watched them save a house and the effort was incredible. The smoke really screwed up my archery hunt. Hope to get it done this weekend though. Did see some real nice bucks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom