X7B guys.................

Elk_Nuts

So, I just got done watching Project X. I say we all plan an event like this for opening weekend. LOL Epic.

-John Wayne

What's project X?
I got drawn for X7B and I am looking for info, as I have never hunted that area before.

Stop Global Whining

>What's project X?
>I got drawn for X7B and
>I am looking for info,
>as I have never hunted
>that area before.
>
>
>
>
>Stop Global Whining

-John Wayne

I have never hunted it but if I did I would hunt between verdi peak and the nevada state line,if the construction ever gets done you can park along 80 and hike up in.

Sweet we'll be there...which campground? Seriously did they up the quota this year for the zone? DFG mess up online posting? Seems like there are a bunch of MMer's who have drawn. My wife and I drew with 4 points , my longest friend drew with his dad and father-in-law with 5. We were at about 8 year intervals over the last 20 years. Hunted the area 1975 to 1992 then 2000 and 2007. No complaints but seems too good to be true. The zone has changed a bunch over the last 35 years. Burns that were great hunting are now forests, many roads are closed and wow the season starts about 3 weeks later. Good luck to all and see you on the hill in October! nugentfan

>I have never hunted it but
>if I did I would
>hunt between verdi peak and
>the nevada state line,if the
>construction ever gets done you
>can park along 80 and
>hike up in.

That's a BIG up hill hike! LoL. You can go in at Bocca and get up top also. I've hunted it with my Son when he was a Junior hunter and my buddies Daughter when she was a junior hunter. I took my Bro in Law up last year when he drew it. This will be my first time with my own tag but I've helped people take some good bucks up there over the last 5 or 6 years.

-John Wayne

Nugentfan,

Not sure on a camp ground. Usually stay in Truckee at a hotel. I'll be staying up to 2 weeks this year though so I may camp. I have friends and relitives up there too that always want me to stay at their places but I hate imposing. Maybe all of the MM's can meet for dinner in Truckee one night during season. I know of some good eats in town.

-John Wayne

I had a buddy show me a photo of five bucks he took in this hunt zone about 4 weeks ago. The smallest was a 4X4 that would go 22-24 inches. The largest buck in front was a 4X5 that looked to be a solid 30-31 inch spread.

Don't ask where, it is private property and gated and patrolled by my buddy that showed me the photo. Tresspassers are not tolerated by the ranch owner.

Many years ago my Uncle lived in Truckee and took a few big deer in that zone.

RELH

One of the big ones got hit by a truck last night according to my kids buddy that lives up there. Sad.

-John Wayne

Three of us will be up there this fall as well...we will be camped out at Stampede. Good grief it seems like everyone drew this tag this year!

Only one more week to go. Can't wait.

Got both of my knees drained to day and shot up with cortisone. Should be good to go.

-John Wayne

Elk_Nuts, that might get you through the deer hunt, but probably not the project X party. lol Good luck!:)

Eel

>Elk_Nuts, that might get you through
>the deer hunt, but probably
>not the project X party.
>lol Good luck!:)
>
>Eel

Ha Ha, for sure. Thank's I'll need it.

-John Wayne

Just got home from scouting. Dry and dusty to say the least. Access isn't what it once was either. Even the county roads have awful sections. Went up from Verdi(had to go to Cabela's!) and 10 mph was too fast on Henness pass road. Two fire trucks were parked where the pavement ended no wonder doubt they would want to go up that mess. Also just checked the regs 140 tags this year! Thought it had been at 75 or so for years. It'll be a little more crowded for sure. Good luck guys!!

>Just got home from scouting. Dry
>and dusty to say the
>least. Access isn't what it
>once was either. Even the
>county roads have awful sections.
>Went up from Verdi(had to
>go to Cabela's!) and 10
>mph was too fast on
>Henness pass road. Two fire
>trucks were parked where the
>pavement ended no wonder
>doubt they would want to
>go up that mess.
> Also just checked the
>regs 140 tags this year!
>Thought it had been at
>75 or so for years.
>It'll be a little more
>crowded for sure. Good
>luck guys!!

Thank goodness for the Rhino!!!!!!

Good luck to you too. See anything worth a darn? I'm trying to drag George up there for a few days next week.

-John Wayne

>>Just got home from scouting. Dry
>>and dusty to say the
>>least. Access isn't what it
>>once was either. Even the
>>county roads have awful sections.
>>Went up from Verdi(had to
>>go to Cabela's!) and 10
>>mph was too fast on
>>Henness pass road. Two fire
>>trucks were parked where the
>>pavement ended no wonder
>>doubt they would want to
>>go up that mess.
>> Also just checked the
>>regs 140 tags this year!
>>Thought it had been at
>>75 or so for years.
>>It'll be a little more
>>crowded for sure. Good
>>luck guys!!
>
>Thank goodness for the Rhino!!!!!!
>
>Good luck to you too. See
>anything worth a darn? I'm
>trying to drag George up
>there for a few days
>next week.
>
>
>
>_____________________________________
>"Life's tough. It's even tougher if
>you're stupid."
>
>-John Wayne

Unfortunately a Tahoe only for me. The Rhino will help you get where I can't without a long long walk. George is supposed to be with his dad a bit north of us this weekend...you can never tell where he'll show up though! I saw too many deer which tells me I was in all the wrong places. The bucks were barely legal with tiny bodies, 1/2 a shelf in the freezer maybe? 140 tags bums me out, but maybe it gets the big boys moving? Let me know about next week I plan to go back up if I don't fill the tag. nugentfan

elk_nuts and nugentfan, hey good luck to you guys on your hunts. Loved that area for a long time and know several others who hunted there for years but never have hunted it myself. I'm hoping that you guys can get into the kind of bucks that the area can and does produce!!!

Shoot straight! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Thanks Joey! We are going to do our best...

>elk_nuts and nugentfan, hey good luck
>to you guys on your
>hunts. Loved that area for
>a long time and know
>several others who hunted there
>for years but never have
>hunted it myself. I'm hoping
>that you guys can get
>into the kind of bucks
>that the area can and
>does produce!!!
>
>Shoot straight! :)
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Thanks Joey,

Nuge, Yea I'll let you know. I'll have an empty seat in that Rhino during the week. My two boys have to come home for School.

-John Wayne

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-12 AT 04:44PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-12 AT 04:01?PM (MST)

Thank you Elk Nuts but not needed for me now as you know. Sure like to borrow it to help my better half fill her tag next week though! My Tahoe took a beating. Congrats to your boys success, let you post on that. Good luck this week!
My deer 23" 3x4. Not the best pic couldn't find my camera and had to use the phone...
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/1039mms_picture(28).jpg
maybe yet another picture fail for me on MM?

Nugentfan, send it and i'll get em up for you if you want?

[email protected]

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-12 AT 08:23PM (MST)[p]Joey sent it too you. Thx again gonna try it here too...
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/2463mms_picture(28).jpg
nope not up again.

It's not your day! I got no mail from you :)

Joey

Nugentfan's buck...
1431nf_buck.jpg

Nice one, Congrats!!

Joey

easymoney, Can you post up a pic or two of that bad boy?

Congrats, sounds like a great Kali buck!!

Joey

Easymony, Was that you that showed me the buck in the camper shell on your way out? I had the white F-250 and the Rhino.

-John Wayne

Well, One of my Sons took a nice 3x3, My buddy took a nice 3x3, His Bro In law took a little Forky. I passed on I don't know how many small bucks. Ended up with tag soup. It's ok though.

My youngest Son who is 18 was with me on his very first deer hunting trip. He has been playing football for the past 9 years and has missed out on deer season until now. He took this year off and will be playing again next year.

He missed 2 nice bucks. One was a very nice 4x4 at about 100 yards and the second was also a very nice buck 3x3 at about 50 Yards. As much as I tried, I just couldn't get him to control his breathing. I think the FEVER got him. He was hyperventilating bad before he shot.

I could of easily shot both of those bucks but I REALLY wanted him to get his first buck so I let him have at it. I was sick when he missed that second one.

Oh well, I guess there is next year. Or next weekend. I have a hot tip for D5 LOL

-John Wayne

Sage,
I have tried to post up photos but with no luck. Something aboutopening another account to do so.
If you know a way let me know...

Stop Global Whining

Well at least your son saw some bucks. My buddies son never saw a legal buck, and I spent several days helping him after I got my buck...

Stop Global Whining

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-12
>AT 08:26?PM (MST)

>
>sage,
>I hope the photo comes out
>this time...
>
>
4162johns_deer2__2012.jpg

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Stop Global Whining

Yea, I remember that buck. Once again, Nice buck and good job. Nice to meet you up there. Looks like this storm hit one week too late. Would like to be up there right now looking around.

-John Wayne

Nice job easymoney! We hunted the same hill. Saw your truck up on the "hill". My wife couldn't seal the deal on your buck opening Monday due to fog issues. Wish she could have hammered mine Sunday cause I could make him out there at the fog line. She is still very bummed about it plus wanted to get him mounted over our TV. We chased him for almost a mile, EL's I could see fine but she just couldn't find him in the scope. She is really bummed seeing him on the ground but offers a big +1 to you. Passed a fewer freezer fillers after and ended up with tag soup. Congrats again on a nice buck,biggest buck I've heard of this time around. Crab claw fronts like mine... Nugentfan

>>LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-12
>>AT 08:26?PM (MST)

>>
>>sage,
>>I hope the photo comes out
>>this time...
>>
>>
4162johns_deer2__2012.jpg

>>
>>
>>No joke B! Will be shooting H2O fowl with that George guy instead. U gonna make a trip or more with us? Heard it was wings down Saturday....nugentfan
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>Stop Global Whining
>
>Yea, I remember that buck. Once
>again, Nice buck and good
>job. Nice to meet you
>up there. Looks like this
>storm hit one week too
>late. Would like to be
>up there right now looking
>around.
>
>
>
>you're stupid."
>
>-John Wayne

Nuge,

Myself, My buddy who killed that 3x3 right next to where you killed yours, and my Cousin all have a 4 man blind at the same club. If George's blind is full you can come sit in ours.

I'm still sick, that Buck my kid missed the day you were up the hill with my buddy Todd was a TOAD 4x4. Never saw him before or after. Not sure where he came from. He was in that draw that goat trail went through that looked real good. I'm sure you went through it. About a 1/2 mile or so before the ponds.

The one he missed last Sat was just passed where you and Todd killed but on the right as you went uphill. A nice 3x3.

-John Wayne

B I sit next to George with an open seat between his pop's( the 4x5 beast killer)spot and me. Really I take care of dad he is an awesome dude. A best friend and a great guy. I take care of him every chance I get, like another dad or better. Plus hell his dog likes me best and I don't have to feed his big butt or pick up his poops! Go getum Bo!!! Welcome to the open hole whenever or mine when open. I have some days that I just can't make it. My dad needs me to :>(. Should be a great shooter. nugentfan

Sorry your boy didn't connect. My wife damn think it's the same buck easy but not. She has had chances both times guarantee next time it happens. Determination is high. She already had the easymoney buck on the tv wall....have to shoot it first though.
May put in a bit north next time or hunt Iowa/Texas with family.

Thanks to everyone.
I saw lots of bucks, even a 28" 4x4 with 6" tines ( no crab claws), when I was up scouting a mnth before the opener. Never saw the big again once hunting started.
IMHO, once DFG doubled the tags to 140 the big buck success rate plunged. I spoke to a local rancher who gave us info on a brute, but he was untouchable on private property. He also said really big bucks were the norm until about 5 years ago.

It was a pleasure meeting you guys, and talking bucks.

Stop Global Whining

Easymoney, That is a really Nice Kali Muley, Congrats and thanks for postin him up!!

My thanks to all involved in this Thread. One of the best Threads in the Kali Forum this hunting season. Way to go guys!!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-12 AT 06:04PM (MST)[p]>Thanks to everyone.
>I saw lots of bucks, even
>a 28" 4x4 with 6"
>tines ( no crab claws),
>when I was up scouting
>a mnth before the opener.
>Never saw the big again
>once hunting started.
>IMHO, once DFG doubled the tags
>to 140 the big buck
>success rate plunged. I spoke
>to a local rancher who
>gave us info on a
>brute, but he was untouchable
>on private property. He also
>said really big bucks were
>the norm until about 5
>years ago.

>
>It was a pleasure meeting you
>guys, and talking bucks.
>
>
>Stop Global Whining

Easymoney I hope you didn't take the crab claw comment as a slam..he is a very good buck. Believe me my wife wanted it bad!
He would have been a dandy first for her. I was shocked when she said it would have gone over the tv!

I've hunted the area since 1974(though not very often in the last 20 years due to drawing) and this is the first time I remember seeing the crab claw. My buddies 4x4, yours, mine and heard some of the others too. Very common where we hunted in Colorado. Seemed like short tines for most that we saw. Wonder if the rain issue or ? caused it?

I was able to find the data and the tag quota was higher than I thought. 140 for the last couple years then the 120's for a while, down to the low 100's. The 75# I had must be from the late 90's early 2000's. When you only get a tag about every 5 years or more some details get lost.

Congrats on filling the tag many did not...
Good luck on your future hunts,
next time I see your truck up there
I will introduce myself.
nugentfan

"Easymoney I hope you didn't take the crab claw comment as a slam.."
Not in the slightest nugfan.
In fact most of the 4x4s were crab fronts. I saw only the one big one with deep fronts and backs. There were lots of deep 3x3s and forks as well.
I had heard that the herd was in stable to declining and that big bucks were taken every year. But that was back in the early 80s through the 90s according to the rancher we spoke to and a hunter who bow hunts this zone a lot. I heard a story about a 5x5 over 28" and 4x4 about 26" running together by the lake during bow season. Never saw them but the big 4x4 I saw while scouting was big but over 300 yards away when I spotted him.
I also heard that when the tag numbers were only 75 the bucks taken were bigger on average, according to the DFG biologist.
I'm sorry your wife didn't score, but then neither did my buddies, in fact I talked to a bunch of guys who didn't see any legal bucks opening weekend.

Stop Global Whining

Jeez easymoney mine even had a pincher back on the 3 side to boot. I didn't see much for long tines, most of the forkies were dinky. The rancher has a much better insight to the area because he is there but that certainly runs against what I saw where we hunted. I started in 1974 and hunted every year archery and rifle, until the archery/rifle tags split, up to 1992. Since then only 2000, 2007 and of course 2012. We rarely saw a good buck like yours in the 70's and 80's. Wrong spots? Maybe but introduced by a man who's gpa hunted there since I think the 1930's. Old habits are hard to break you know. This is actually the first season I never went to the watch tower. Up to the 60's I heard there were very good bucks. My last 3 bucks are all respectable but not wall hangers, 2007 buck was close though. Much bigger than any from my early years for sure. Also there would be 100's and 100's of hunters, a literal city when rifle season opened. Look on the other side of the hill...those house can't be good for winter range. My $.02. The wife started this later in life and just doesn't have the experience...I saw horns past the ears and knew he needed to have a tag on him. She just needed more time and they were leaving. The fog deal was real tough she had 4 setups over a mile plus and never right... I tried my best but was a bit excited. Would have been a super nice first buck for her. Oh well another 5 to 8 years if we are still living in California. Once again congrats and hope to cross paths some day.
nugentfan

>Nuge,
>
>Myself, My buddy who killed that
>3x3 right next to where
>you killed yours, and my
>Cousin all have a 4
>man blind at the same
>club. If George's blind is
>full you can come sit
>in ours.
>
>I'm still sick, that Buck my
>kid missed the day you
>were up the hill with
>my buddy Todd was a
>TOAD 4x4. Never saw him
>before or after. Not sure
>where he came from. He
>was in that draw that
>goat trail went through that
>looked real good. I'm sure
>you went through it. About
>a 1/2 mile or so
>before the ponds.
>
>The one he missed last Sat
>was just passed where you
>and Todd killed but on
>the right as you went
>uphill. A nice 3x3.
>
>you're stupid."
>
>-John Wayne

Ok now I feel dumb elknuts you have a blind on the same club duh reading for comprehension isn't what it used to be for me.
Offer still stands that is if you can stand to be near G's calling. I hear ours should be pretty good if history repeats. Giving it a shot(literally I hope plus a few more) in the morning specks are like flies on, well you know, up there right now.
nugentfan

This was my first hunt in X7B and I was a little surprised that I did not see more big bucks. I did my homework with DFG and the local biologist, but after seeing your post and talking to that rancher makes me wonder... I heard some interesting stories about the "big ones" hiding on the golf course after rifle season opened, in fact driving into Truckee for Monday night football we saw a group of 10 bucks (mostly big ones)4x4s and 3x3s standing right on the road, in fact we had to wait for a few minutes for them to mosey off the road. Too dark to take photos...
Personally I would have liked to hunt the many Xzones back in the 70s, but I limited myself to Azone blacktails because that is where I lived and the area I knew best.
I thought it interesting that alot of the bigger bucks I saw were crab claws, genes? We did see some big 3x3s with nice forks but my buddy just couldn't put it all together.

Everyone I met or talked to was very knowledgable and personable, the only folks we ran into that were rude and noisy in camp were some "russians" who had a bunch of dinks and sporks hanging and partied all night long. All the guys I met from this site and another were great people and we shared info...
Hope to cross paths too someday...

Stop Global Whining

Here is the little 3x3 my older Son killed. He has taken Elk but this was his first Buck.

327C508D-24CB-4E18-B25F-820CAFBB97DB-6082-00000717D388DF0D.jpg

-John Wayne

Nice table buck, and very respectable with nice forks
My buddy and his son went home with tag soup to show for 8 days hunting...

Stop Global Whining

Congrats to your son elknuts. Far better than my first. Mine is a good eater, had steaks tonight, sure his is equal and even better! Hunted today, did ok, we all shot bad so could have had quite a few more.....that island blind slayed em.

>This was my first hunt in
>X7B and I was a
>little surprised that I did
>not see more big bucks.
>I did my homework with
>DFG and the local biologist,
>but after seeing your post
>and talking to that rancher
>makes me wonder... I heard
>some interesting stories about the
>"big ones" hiding on the
>golf course after rifle season
>opened, in fact driving into
>Truckee for Monday night football
>we saw a group of
>10 bucks (mostly big ones)4x4s
>and 3x3s standing right on
>the road, in fact we
>had to wait for a
>few minutes for them to
>mosey off the road. Too
>dark to take photos...
>Personally I would have liked to
>hunt the many Xzones back
>in the 70s, but I
>limited myself to Azone blacktails
>because that is where I
>lived and the area I
>knew best.
>I thought it interesting that alot
>of the bigger bucks I
>saw were crab claws, genes?
>We did see some big
>3x3s with nice forks but
>my buddy just couldn't put
>it all together.
>
>Everyone I met or talked to
>was very knowledgable and personable,
>the only folks we ran
>into that were rude and
>noisy in camp were some
>"russians" who had a bunch
>of dinks and sporks hanging
>and partied all night long.
>All the guys I met
>from this site and another
>were great people and we
>shared info...
>Hope to cross paths too someday...
>
>
>Stop Global Whining

Those lawn chair hunting guys were something else...ran into the one guy opening morning didn't even know what zone he was in or it's boundaries. Unreal. Wanted to know the eastern boundary, I was like really? Nevada........Went on to ask all the other sides too. Get a map or check regs before you drive up.

All the guys from here are good people with passion for hunting. Sage is really helpful and seems to rescue my pics every time. Thanks again!

You did your home work and something I have never done but said I would for years, call the biologist. That is a big zone and unfortunately I only know a small portion of it, habit habit habit. Learning up north and staying off that damn peak so I'm doing better. Good looking country to the south but the map confuses me as to how much is public and stayed away again. Ran into some locals at the store and should have got a bit better info from them, they always get good deer per them. My buddy got a tip from the warden opening morning and I will try to figure that out next summer. Maybe that is where the big ones are before they feed on the gold course?
nugentfan

Here is the 3x3 that my buddy took while we were up there. Right by yours Nuge.

09AC4B75-9B21-45E7-940B-993A85D2F064-7270-00000880FEEA5AD6.jpg

-John Wayne

Hey G, you going to the club in the morning? If so, see you there.

-John Wayne

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-12 AT 09:40PM (MST)[p]>
>Here is the little 3x3 my
>older Son killed. He has
>taken Elk but this was
>his first Buck.
>
>
327C508D-24CB-4E18-B25F-820CAFBB97DB-6082-00000717D388DF0D.jpg

>you're stupid."
>
>-John Wayne

Pretty sure I saw and passed that buck on my Archery hunt there...Saw one other and know of two that got killed out of the group of bucks I was chasing...Nice shot by the way!

Way to many rifle tags! ;-/

2010 Bowtech Destroyer 340...

George, That was the exit wound. He hit him good on the other side. I did give him some grief about that exit wound being too far back though. Ha Ha.

-John Wayne

Thanks for the pic Elk nuts. Another good looking deer from up there. Wondered what it looked like, his phone pic was too small for my old eyes! They sure were fat on top of the mountain. He sure killed a dandy in Utah when forwarded that I thought that was his Cali deer. And you are correct by RIGHT where mine was, that was a deer highway for a few days LOL!
>Here is the 3x3 that my
>buddy took while we were
>up there. Right by yours
>Nuge.
>
>
>
09AC4B75-9B21-45E7-940B-993A85D2F064-7270-00000880FEEA5AD6.jpg

>you're stupid."
>
>-John Wayne

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom