X9A Help

Hardway

Very Active Member
Getting my butt handed to me so far, been over there twice now scouting around. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Since I’m not much of a trout fisherman I guess I’ll hope for weather....lol. Not really expecting to see much in July, just trying to learn the roads and where I want to focus. That whole June lake area looks like a madhouse with all the tourists and trout fisherman right now..... hopefully less people in September.

Stay out of June loop unless you like crowds,get up to upper Horse Meadow and walk in from there,also from upper Horse back towards 120 you might be surprised at what you see.If you want to see numbers of deer go to Owens River road and work your way back towards the Airport.I hope I didn't give away anyone's hot spots just trying to help him out.

Where to begin…
Get up on the top of Wheeler Ridge to the north of Rock Creek. Definitely bucks (and sheep) up there! Convict Knolls is Popular for a reason. Like mentioned previously, bucks can be spotted there from the campground.
Mc Gee Canyon up around the aspens will have bucks...Laurel Canyon west to the Sherwins has kicked out some monsters in the past..The sage flats all around Crowley Lake and Hot Creek out to the base of the Glass Mtns hold deer year around and are often overlooked. One of the biggest bucks I’ve ever seen in that zone hung out early in the year on the on Doe Ridge behind the airport, then moved out in the flats by the dump once the road hunter pressure began....something else to consider in the mammoth area would be a big hike out from Minaret Summit north along San Joaquin Ridge. Are used to grouse hunt there and always saw a deer up there...In the June lake area, Parker Bench is well known , but the area between 395 and Reverse Peak can be overlooked but usually has a few bucks hanging out there...MT Warren just outside the park could be a great hunt. Just don’t shoot one of the Bighorn rams that live up there!. I access the High Country of that region from several places. There is a dirt road that takes you up through an old Boy Scout camp and then an old mining operation (I remember correctly, it’s called log cabin mine Road) off 120 near the junction with 395. The road will lead you all the way to an overlook where you can look down on Lundy lake. Hiking up from that area to the west will get you into some great country. Could also come in from the other side by hiking up from the Saddlebag Lake Road...Probably the northernmost area to try would be Jordan Basin off the Virginia Creek Road. It always has deer in it....For a real challenge,try hunting on the east side of the Glass Mountains or the Cow Track Mtns out behind Mono Lake. Deer densities are low, but you could find a real monster out there. If there’s any weather later in the season, you can find deer in the flats on the south east end of Mono Lake near Simon Springs sometimes.

Hope I didn’t over load you there… Basically gave you a rundown of everything from south to north. Lots of GREAT country to explore. Put your time in and you’ll get a good buck. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Wow, Highsierra gave you a lot of places to look at. Surprised anyone would divulge that much info out. But you still have to find them but damn he gave you just about every spot there is that hold bucks... Yikes

Why would anyone put that much info on the damn internet!!! Yes be seen that units point creep for archery go from zero to now 5 points to draw.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom