xd 40

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
i was reading a article in an older AZOD magazine about a springfield xd 40 pistol. the article states that the guy put 2,000 rounds through it in 3 hours and the groups got tighter. does any one have any experience with this pistol? looks ALOT like a glock 22 and it is in .40 S&W. comments????
casey

i've put a few hundred rounds through one. you could say i'm neutral towards it. groups should get a little better once it's broken in. i think it's a great value and a good choice if a glock isn't your cup of tea, but a glock it ain't.

well im looking at either one of these guns or a glock 22 in the same caliaber. they are around the same price, would the better buy be the golck? i know that the name cant be beat but who knows....
casey

i'm a glock fanatic, so other than the fact that they're ugly as sin, i've got nothing bad to say about them. if it's comfortable and you shoot it well, go with the glock. they've proven their worth a million times over and will continue to do so. there's gotta be a good reason almost every person whose job requires them to carry a gun carries a glock.

i just got word from a AZGFD officer that the hand guns that they carry are sig sauer p226's how does this gun vary and stand up to the 2 others mentoined. i am also looking for this gun to be a side arm and help in the protection of my family if need be.(if the 357 and the 38 dont cut it)
casey

i've got a sig 226 9mm. i've personally never had any problems with it. i've noticed accuracy is better with the sig. the 2 complaints i've heard the most is that since the tolerances are so tight, a single piece of dirt in the wrong spot can make the gun inoperable. and the second is that you have to deal with 2 different trigger pulls. they're a little taller than a glock so they can seem a little top heavy.

i was at a local gun shop here in town today, looked at the xd40 and the glock 22, i like the glock a lot but the xd40 just felt better in my hand, i liked how it weighed a lil more. i could feel it there and like that feeling. i am defiently going to go with the xd40, that is of course i come across a screamin deal on a glock. really like how it handeled, and for the same price as the glock, i like the fact that it has ambdixterous clip release and 2 safties instead of the only the double trigger like the glock
casey

i don't know what the gun prices in arizona are, but here in oklahoma the xd is about $80 less than a glock. maybe if you checked some gun shows or the internet you could find one out there for less.

the gun store i used to work at had standard glock 22 for $475, and base xd40 for $385

Firstcoueswas80inches;
I am hoping that you will hurry up and buy your new pistol, during the past month you have made inquires on numerous guns and various calibers. You might think about subscribing to Gun Test Magazine. They test and review about everything in the line of firearms and other related gear. They do not accept any advertising or endorsements from manufactors and report the findings, pro or con, as their tests reveal. I used to get their subscription when I was gunsmithing and wanted to keep up with the latest firearm infro.
RELH

RELH, sorry that my inquiry of trying to get the best gun for my needs or what ever has upset you, sorry that i am doing research to see what ther people have to say about it. sorry that i am asking other hunters/shooters if the caliber/rifle/pistol is a good buy or not. sorry that utilize free resources instead of spending money to get reviews that are more than likely biast.
casey

Fisrtcoueswas80inches;

That was the reason I referred you to gun test mag, they will give you a honest opinion on numerous firearms that will answer most of your questions. It is hard for us to try and give you a good answer due to you not defining what the gun is going to be used for, and any caliber limitations you might be looking at. You have not given us any information on the size of your hands so that we can advise you what guns to stay away from due to grip size. You seem to have "shotgun" your inquires and it is very hard to determine what you are looking for in a handgun.
I was not upset until this last post, and I feel that you will have to make up your mind what you "need" in a pistol before anyone can really help you make a viable decision on a choice of a handgun. A last note, on several of your inquires, I and others took the time to try and answer your questions, and you did not have the common couresty to say "Thank You".
We do not mind being used for free advice, but we do mind being abused.
RELH

LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-04 AT 09:29PM (MST)[p]if you read wither my 1 or 3rd reply to this topic, you will see that it says it will be used for home defense, and i also say how it felt in my hand. im not asking for suggestions based on how it fits me, i am asking for suggestions based on personel experiences. as far as saying thank you, you are right there i have been lackadayzacakle on doing that and i do aplogie
casey
ps, i actually do say that this gun will be used as a side arm for the AZGFD and for home protection if need be

Casey;
Apology accepted, and it does appear that I misread what the gun was going to be used for. For some reason I was under the impression you may also use it as a huntin sidearm also and self defense gun.
You mentioned that you will be using it as a duty firearm while working with AZGFD, and that game dept. does issue the Sig 226 as their duty sidearm.
If the dept. only allowes the Sig, then your choice has been made for you. If they allow other duty firearms, as my dept. did, then you have some leeway for your gun.
I am not that familar with the XD-40 and can not give you any honest opinion about that pistol. I am very familiar with the Glocks and Sigs though my past duties as a firearms instructor, dept. armour, and gunsmithing. My oldest Son is the dept. armour for his police dept. and completed the Glock armour school due to the Glock being their issued pistol. He loves the glock.
You could go wrong with either the Sig or Glock. Both are very reliable. If I remember correctly, The Sig was barely beat out by the Berretta during the military trials for a new pistol to replace the 45ACP.
My experience has shown the Sig has a slight advantage over the Glock for accuracy, but the Glock is accurate enought for combat type use. I feel that the Glock has a better trigger then the Sig due to my personal feelings of not liking a double-single action trigger that the Sig, Berretta has. I am a old Colt 45 ACP single action trigger fan.
The Sig has shown to be very reliabe, but the Glock has a history of going 35000-40000 rounds without any parts breaking.
Both of these guns are a very good choice for duty and home defense work. I would advise you to find a place, maybe a indoor shooting range, where you can try both guns out, and maybe others, then go with the gun that you feel most comfortable with.
As for price, it should not enter the picture when it comes to a firearm that you will be betting your life, or family member's life, on. Get the gun you want and can shoot the best with. If you have too, try to make payments or take out a loan if the gun you want is beyond your present means. I did just that when I purchased my first duty gun in 1974.
You mention having a 357 mag. That caliber loaded with hot 125 grain HP,1300-1350 FPS, is the number 1 manstopper in hundreds of recorded police shootings. Sig has come out with a 357 auto round that duplicates the revolver performance. Now I have given another pistol-caliber option for you to decide on, I wish you good luck in your quest.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-04 AT 08:55PM (MST)[p]RELH, i appericiate the maturaity that i think we have both shown, thank you for accepting the apology. allthough the AZGFD does issue the sig p226, i am not a fan of the trigger pull such as yourself, if i do get the job in a few years when i graduate from college, i will run it by them for me to carry my personal xd40 but if not then what choice do i have? as far as not being in my price range, i estimate i will be making over 7,000 in 3 months this summer. this doesnt sound like a lot but for a 18-19 y/o this is. so price isnt a HUGE deal. i live in a fairly decent neighbor hood, as far as a hunting side arm, my dad and i both carry rifles that are highly dependable, mine is a remington 700 only 4 years old and his is a remington 700 less than 2 years old. i will be carrying this gun while on quad rides in the white mountains and on black river trips in case any black bears get a lil wild on me. i imagine that this pistol will be kept within in arms reach of my bed while i am staying at home, cause believe me, if any one tried to hurt my brother,mom,dad or lol our new choclate lab while im home they are gonna wish they hadnt. as far as the suggestion of the sig .357, i realy like the looks of the .40, and this is what i believe all law enforecers in az carry is.although i have never shot ne, i have shot a colt commander in .45 acp and i loved this round. plus my dad encourages me to get thi pistol.
casey

Casey;
The 40 S&W is a very good defensive round. My dept. and most other departments in CA. have switched to the 40 cal.
I am a big 45ACP fan, but my son was given my Colt National Match when I retired last Oct. I carry a Browning High Power in 40 cal. Browning only made the High Power in 40 cal. for about 2 years and I snapped one of them up. Cor-bon puts out a high velocity round for the 40 cal. that is a very darn good defensive round for self protection.
Good luck on the future job and keep cracking the books.
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom