Yamaha 550 Grizzly issue.

BeanMan

Long Time Member
The Wife and I were out exploring the Uncompahgre the last couple of days. Her grizzly 550 efi will just die, like it has run out of fuel. It could be electrical. I’ve been trying ti figure this issue out since this is not the first time it’s happened. It most commonly happens when it is hot out and we have ridden 30+ miles. If it sits for a short time it will run for a short time. Let it sit for half an hour and it will run fine, until it happens again. The gas cap and tank are venting fine. I’m wondering if it is a balky fuel pump but that seems like it should happen all the time rather than when hot.

thoughts please?

Same thing happened to both my Grizzly 700's.
Changed the fuel pumps in both and haven't had an issue since.
4 years ago for the 2016 and 6 months ago on the 2019.
I didn't use factory pumps, I found some after market pumps quite a bit cheaper, all's well so far.

Here is a great source of info for Grizzly's.

Another thing is that I pulled the fuel line and turned the key on and it seemed to pump just fine so I ruled out the fuel pump at first, but it still turned out to be the problem.

You Check to see if it Has a Fuel Filter?

Vapor Locking Maybe?

Fuel Pump Maybe?

I Know On some of the Older Yamaha's They Were Having Vapor Locking issues!

I'd Damn Sure Check The Air Box & Make Sure The F'N Mice Ain't Moved in!

Sure sounds like a fuel tank/pump issue. If it’s not vapor locking I’d change the pump. You may not have to buy a full assembly from the manufacturer. There usually crazy expensive. Most of the assemblies use generic style fuel pumps that will fit in the assembly. I bought the right model Bosch pump for my can am and it snapped right in. 40 bucks instead of 300 from BRP

I will try to dig up the info on where I got my pumps, thinking I paid about $175
Good luck!

I have had similar problems with same model and year. If I run the more expensive gas with no ethanol, it's better. If I add Lucas fuel conditioner consistently, there's little to no problem.

One More reason to Keep My 2012 Polaris with a CARB!

Got One of the Last of the Mahicans!

We Run What We Call the BLUE FUEL As Well!

PISS On that Obama Approved Ethanol BS!

Here's another Question:

If Both Yamaha & Honda & I'm sure many others are Built in F'N China?

Is There a Difference between Buying it online/Aftermarket Versus OEM?

Other Than the Price?

YAMAHA Used to be Known For Quality/Reliability!

Not So Much anymore!

I Often Wonder How Much of it is Related to MADE IN F'N CHINA?

YAMAHA Used to be Known For Quality/Reliability!

Not So Much anymore!

I Often Wonder How Much of it is Related to MADE IN F'N CHINA?
Bess, AJay has put 8500 trouble free miles on this machine up until this problem. I’ve got 5000 miles on mine which is a few years newer. My Father In Law’s two Honda’s have had more problems.

I Hear You Bean!

My Son Has an 05 GRIZZLY with 18,000 Miles of Hell on It!

I'd Asked Him For The Last 5 Years if He Had Put a New Belt on it Yet?

Last Deer Season It Finally Ate the Original Belt!:D

Bess, AJay has put 8500 trouble free miles on this machine up until this problem. I’ve got 5000 miles on mine which is a few years newer. My Father In Law’s two Honda’s have had more problems.

Got a 2005 carbureted kodiak in 2006. Just keeps on running. I’ve put brakes on it and ball joints just because rubbers were cracked. Also put new cv boots on all axle shafts because rubbers split. Fires up every year. Never left me stranded….thankfully, because I have driven a loooong ways to remote areas by myself. Woulda been a loooong walk out.

Got a 2005 carbureted kodiak in 2006. Just keeps on running. I’ve put brakes on it and ball joints just because rubbers were cracked. Also put new cv boots on all axle shafts because rubbers split. Fires up every year. Never left me stranded….thankfully, because I have driven a loooong ways to remote areas by myself. Woulda been a loooong walk out.

I've got 2 of the same machines... Like you said, they just keep running and running. They've been bulletproof machines.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom