Yamaha TW 200

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
Anyone on here using a Tdub for hunting. I hear some guys are even using front and rear racks on this bike to pack out game.

I only know of one person that has one. They have taken it on hunting trips before, but never actually used it. I had an 86 or 87 Yamaha BW 200 that I used for hunting and exploring. It was a pos. The best ones I’ve heard to use are the electric start 350s. I don’t travel with any ATV anymore. I found they just get in the way. The new Rokons seem like they’re light and more capable than any motorcycle but I’ve never driven one.

I used a bw 200 once. Not a very capable bike, but it saved 5 mile hike each way to get to where I hunted. I will likely go to a lowered 250 for better suspension if i need a bike again

I have a tw200, with front and rear rack, and even a trailer. I love mine.

TW4.jpg

TW5.jpg

TW2.jpg

I have a tw200, with front and rear rack, and even a trailer. I love mine.

View attachment 9186

View attachment 9187

View attachment 9188
How did you mount your gun boot. I already have a side by side because I am never alone. Have four wheelers as well. I have always ridden bigger bikes a Kx 500 just got rid of my Crx 450 Honda. But I do run my dog by the river. I was thinking these fat tires may do better in the sand and snow ? Also on single track where legal. But not legal around the Fish lake area where I stay a lot. Probably better then a Honda Ruckus to explore with ? But not something to go riding with my brother in law that rides a Husqvarna 350 two stroke. He hits single track trails all over the state. Still thinking. Going threw Richfield today. If the salesman pushes me to far. I may come home with one. :) Hopefully they have none in stock.

I've had them all, BWs, TWs, Honda fatcat. That 350 BW wasn't the ticktet, it sat taller and was too heavy. The TW is a good hunting set up or a Honda 230.

I had a nice TW but didn’t like the idea of riding it in rough weather loaded down. Also, I broke my toes riding the thing when I hit a rock hidden in tall grass. I even had MX boots on! That cost me a Book Cliffs deer hunt.

Sold it and got a quad. I feel better about taking a kid on the back of my quad than that bike....even though theoretically we’re not supposed to ride 2-up.

I also have a 250F setup for motocross and have no desire to trail ride with it.

with all that said if the area I hunted had lots of bike only trails, I’d with it.

Y
Gutless wonders. Get a 250X or something similar.
Ya I was wondering about that. My last bike was a Honda Crf 450 built not stock . But then again a putt putt that you don't have to put race gas in ? They seem to be out of stock everywhere I have looked. Which is good otherwise I would be riding a putt putt right now . :)

I bought one last year for hauling bait for my bear hunt on the Nebo unit. It took on every obstacle that I pointed it at and sipped minimal fuel while doing it. To the tune of 75-mpg.
It was nice to ride it right from home and back, legally.
I bought it just for the bear hunt and don't presently have a use for it now. It has about 1,600 miles on it, absolutely no scratches, dings, tears or dents on it at all. I'd like to sell it if anyone is interested, PM me.
It's a 2019 model like the pictured in a post above.

Had one for about 10 years and used it to hunt when I lived in CA. Sold it after I moved back east since I didn't need it. Was great when I used it.

I'm using my TW right now to get back and forth to work, while I figure out what to do next since my truck was recently totaled. I take backstreets where the max speed limit is 35.

2013 with 2100 miles. No racks added, but I do like the look of the american_jackal's gun boot and other add-ons.

I added a kickstart a few years ago just in case something goes wrong with the electric starter when I am 5 miles from a pushstart capable area.

Just about 75 mpg - just topped off after 59 miles with .8 gal...only using pure gas.

Had two, one for the wife and one for me. Had 2 friends who also had them, we all sold them. Used mine a TON to get back into the high country. I loved it but hated it more!!! Great for mid mountain and desert outings, but they are severely under powered and sit to low. I wanted to love it so bad but just couldn’t ...... I changed out both front and rear gearing to find a spot that worked, but at about 9000’ it would bog out. I can’t count how many times I had to help it up the trail because it would start to stall. I also had to swap out foot pegs, and both shift and brake levers multiple times because they were always getting bent and this is after a ricochet skid plate was added.

I went with a WR250F and love it!!! One of the guys that had a TW went with a XT250 to get the fuel injection, but after a year sold it and went with a WR as well.

I bought one last year for hauling bait for my bear hunt on the Nebo unit. It took on every obstacle that I pointed it at and sipped minimal fuel while doing it. To the tune of 75-mpg.
It was nice to ride it right from home and back, legally.
I bought it just for the bear hunt and don't presently have a use for it now. It has about 1,600 miles on it, absolutely no scratches, dings, tears or dents on it at all. I'd like to sell it if anyone is interested, PM me.
It's a 2019 model like the pictured in a post above.
Post up a picture of your ride.

Several Years Ago I Called KOLPIN!

Wanted the Best Gun Boot/Carriers We could Buy!

No,We Didn't Buy the CHEAP Model!

We've got a Pile Of Scrap Plastic!

CRACKIN!

BREAKIN!

CHEAP!

TRASH!

So I Called KOLPIN again with the News!

Did You Know the Bess Boys are the Only ones He'd ever heard of having any Issues with them?

You Wanna Dump your Favorite Gun in the Rocks?

A little more info.
I bought it from the Yamaha shop in Provo last year in May. I installed a set of Rok [handlebar] risers 2-1/2” and Magura 1-1/8” bars on it to increase the cockpit area. I only run Clear 88 fuel in all of my machines so she hasn’t had a corn flake in her. I am an industrial engineer for a living so she’s been maintained properly. I have the factory bars for it that’ll go with it. But you won’t want them back on, I’m sure of it.
275BC785-B3C7-459F-8C3F-53CAE7B3092D.jpeg
6633438F-4EB3-406B-AE0C-1D1746F54063.jpeg
05A1961D-BF31-46F9-BED7-6120CC6B59A5.jpeg
29220B1A-22EB-4867-83E2-B265B5778DA9.jpeg
05A1961D-BF31-46F9-BED7-6120CC6B59A5.jpeg

It has around 1,600 miles on it and always stored in the basement. It needs Nothing. Ready to go right now!
I’m in the South Utah county area.

A little more info.
I bought it from the Yamaha shop in Provo last year in May. I installed a set of Rok [handlebar] risers 2-1/2” and Magura 1-1/8” bars on it to increase the cockpit area. I only run Clear 88 fuel in all of my machines so she hasn’t had a corn flake in her. I am an industrial engineer for a living so she’s been maintained properly. I have the factory bars for it that’ll go with it. But you won’t want them back on, I’m sure of it.View attachment 9785View attachment 9786View attachment 9787View attachment 9788View attachment 9785View attachment 9786View attachment 9787View attachment 9788View attachment 9785View attachment 9786View attachment 9788View attachment 9786View attachment 9788
It has around 1,600 miles on it and always stored in the basement. It needs Nothing. Ready to go right now!
I’m in the South Utah county area.
Looks Great ! Don't tempt me with a price . :)

I’ve tried the T-Dub three different times. There is a cult following and I thought I would like it. It’s a fat heavy toad with crappy suspension. Every tome I went for a ride I asked myself “what’s the catch”!!??

55mph is all they can do. If you gear them down it’s worse. The XT225 or XT250 is much more fun and capable.

Motorcycles for hauling gear/hunting just don’t make sense. Maybe a 2x2 rokon? Get a real bike and don’t look back. This beta weighs much less, has over twice the suspension and is happy going slow or hauling tail. These enduro 2strokes with the wide ratio trannies and a rekluse clutch are soooo much more fun to ride. You’ll never see Gram Jarvis on a Tdub. Haha.

C32536D0-FE2F-47EE-B8CF-8DD63AB54C00.jpeg
F4649FE5-5104-4614-820F-1A90B6718AA0.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve tried the T-Dub three different times. There is a cult following and I thought I would like it. It’s a fat heavy toad with crappy suspension. Every tome I went for a ride I asked myself “what’s the catch”!!??

55mph is all they can do. If you gear them down it’s worse. The XT225 or XT250 is much more fun and capable.

Motorcycles for hauling gear/hunting just don’t make sense. Maybe a 2x2 rokon? Get a real bike and don’t look back. This beta weighs much less, has over twice the suspension and is happy going slow or hauling tail. These enduro 2strokes with the wide ratio trannies and a rekluse clutch are soooo much more fun to ride. You’ll never see Gram Jarvis on a Tdub. Haha.

View attachment 9823View attachment 9824
So your Saying get the Husqvarna TE 300i ?

I blew my knew out crossing the Salmon River on my TW 200. Mine was all rigged out with racks and I hauled a lot of gear. Maybe I’m am a horrible rider but everytime I would see game I would take my eyes off the trail and end up wrecking. I am to use to looking around . I sold it.

So?

BLACK RIMS MATTER?
Not sure what that means? Do Kawasaki’s have black rims ? Stu my brother in law has as Husky 300 I had to pick it up for him. I rode it before he did. So he would love to have me pick one up. He keeps a KTM for a buddy bike. A TW is cheap a Husqvarna is a advisement!

Not sure what that means? Do Kawasaki’s have black rims ? Stu my brother in law has as Husky 300 I had to pick it up for him. I rode it before he did. So he would love to have me pick one up. He keeps a KTM for a buddy bike. A TW is cheap a Husqvarna is a advisement!

I’ve riden the TW, XT, KLX, super Sherpa, ttr230, crf230, Dr200, and the drz400. I would not want haul gear on a 2-wheeled machine but if you want a cozy ride to hit the single tracks for scouting and stuff then the Sherco, husky, beta, Ktm wide ratio 2stroke enduro is the way to go!!!!

Okay, full disclosure here from my perspective. I sold my TW to the first guy that seen it. Yes, they have a great reputation! He was elated to have it but at the same time I could tell that it was probably the first bike he has owned. But that's okay, he'll be thrilled with it. It's a great bike, for him.

Me on the other hand, I was extremely disappointed with it. But, I'm hard to impress. I've been on a bike since I was 7. I've raced motocross and desert for decades. I've owned the smallest performer to the most potent on the dirt, sand and street available, for the last 45 seasons.

I bought the bike new because I couldn't find a good used bike. In fact, I bought the last available 2019 in the state.
I broke it in with the utmost care, with the mindset of keeping it well into the point that my kids would have had taken the keys of all my other, obvious forms of transportation. But it never developed the horsepower potential to take on much, let alone Everything!

Now, single track on Nebo isn't for the average enduro, but the TW should have had the reputable power to at least put down an honest effort!

It'd be great for everything around town, camp, or even most BLM/USFS roads, but it's Not going to pack you Or your equipment into those "behind the boundary horses or single track only" areas that you might have your eyes on.

I hate to bash it, and the concept has tons of potential but, Yamaha has dropped the ball on a machine that could corner the market and dominate, profitably.

Yak.

Have you guys geared your tw's down to make it a good back country trail bike?
I'm in the process of going to a 55 tooth on the rear. The research and hard core tw guys I've talked to have no problems going anywhere with them! I didn't buy it to haul a$$ and sound like a race machine all over the mnt! The little time I've spent on my machine has been great and is exactly what i need for my style of hunting! It is slow quite and great on gas should be even better gearing it down.

Hey hornkiller!

If Your Bike Ain't Straight Piped!

Turbo-ed!

200-300 Horsepower!

30K+!

You're Not Keeping Up!:D

I'm in the process of going to a 55 tooth on the rear. The research and hard core tw guys I've talked to have no problems going anywhere with them! I didn't buy it to haul a$$ and sound like a race machine all over the mnt! The little time I've spent on my machine has been great and is exactly what i need for my style of hunting! It is slow quite and great on gas should be even better gearing it down.

I got a little worried when on YouTube I saw a guy on a TW trying to climb a hill . It was just a rutted out fire road. But he had to hit it three times on the Tdub before he could make it up. It made me think a little under powered ?

I got a little worried when on YouTube I saw a guy on a TW trying to climb a hill . It was just a rutted out fire road. But he had to hit it three times on the Tdub before he could make it up. It made me think a little under powered ?

It’s a heavy slow turtle. Cool but what’s it really for? People see the fat tire and they think it’s an ATV. It’s not. I can’t imagine riding in washboard roads, let alone some of the crap I did just last night. I’m a crappy rider but bottoming our on every little bump gets old. The XT225/xt250 is a much funner bike.

I'm short and can't get the ride height low enough with my WR250F. I even have a lowering kit which completely ruined the rear suspension on it and it's still too tall for someone with a 30" or less inseam to be safe packing an animal out on it. I packed my San Juan bull out on mine in 2010 and haven't wanted to do it again. The second pic is getting out of Aspen Flat up to the mtn road and the top of indian creek on the Abajo's. Wouldn't recommend trying it unless you are a damn good rider and know you can handle weight on your back in super technical stuff.

The TW's are way lower and with super low gearing are capable of being walked up nearly anything. You have to be able to flat foot both sides of the bike, even on a steep sidehill or you risk having an 80 lbs hind quarter pounding your face into the rocks on a high side.

Bikes are awesome for running two tracks, but completely suck for technical steep rocky stuff with a load. Wheelers and side by sides crawl right up the stuff you have to hit with momentum on two wheelers or you get to go at it again.

Raced the hare and hound series here in Utah for years and know a little about how to make one go, but hunting deep in the backcountry is super tough with a two wheeler.

Just my $0.02

Cheers, Pete

12.jpg

12a.jpg

Yep, I tried gearing both the front and the back and tried a few different ratios in between. Hell we even did the double rear sprocket so that you can make a quick change on the trail. There just isn’t enough power when you start getting higher in elevation, even with a sprocket change.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom