Yote hunting first time

chasemike

What a blast, we got them to answer on coyote call, they wouldn't come in. Don't know if we started correct, started with a rabbit in distress, but no go, then we use the coyote yelping, they answer. We can only get better at this, going again this weekend. Mike

Mike glad you had fun yote huntin is a blaat! Sorry and not trying to rain on your parade, but you were talking with educated yotes. If you play any type of distress and they bark in response and wont show themselves brother move on they know your bad news. The only trigger that will be pulled on educated dogs is from the air. I would try a new spot you might have better luck at having one run into you rather than a far off bark in the brush.
If you do get one to come stop him at 100 yards and take him just by barking like a pissed off dog with your mouth he'll stop look and you have about three seconds to close the deal. The biggest mistake i made was letting them break that 100 yard barrier their odds of survival go way up (there eyes and ears are super sharp and their nose is unremarkable at that point. Also watch that down wind. Good luck.

Thanks for the information. I know for a fact, they have not been hunted. I hunted private land. Do you use the distress call first? I have no clue. Not very many people hunt the yotes, around here. They didn't answer on the distrees call, it was on yote howling call, it was a elec call. I will learn over time, but I am a mission now. Thanks Mike

ok my mistake. If your hunting private land you have it made for sure. I wouldnt mess with the howl just yet just stay with distress if they are not there in 20 minutes move on. I like to use the howl at 4 a.m. Just to get a feel (multiple places) for where they are then sneak in at first light and give em a distress. Also dont just hunt morning and evening keep going all day you can get 13 to 15 sets in and noon has been a producer for me in the past. Good luck.

P.S.
If they are not responding to distress on your next set put out some invitation howls (just 2 or three) be silent for 5 to 7 minutes then go to distress and stay with it. That combo has worked for me in the past.

This time of year is pretty slow for coyote action. I've found the coyote howls and yips actually work better this time of year. They are pairing up and getting ready to breed so their mind is more on breeding instead of eating. They'll still come to distress sounds but they just seem to come to coyote vocalizations better this time of year.

Workman Predator Calls Field Staff
http://www.workmanpredatorcalls.com

IfAId I were you I would try the coyote pup distress. Usually works well when you are in a situation like this. Start the call off on a low volume after every minute or so keep rising the volume. If this is a FOXPRO that you are using then try put the lightning Jack. It's definatly a keeper sound. I try to stay away from the vocals they just never seem to make a good stand. I like to have the sun to my back and use shade as a cover. Also check put the FOXPRO Jack Attack decoy(100$). It is worth it. What kind of terrain are you in? Trees, brush, flatland etc? Is your call a FOXPRO?

Always keep alert those things literaly come from nowhere. You'll be looking like 200 yards away at a hill and all of a sudden you look down and there's yote looking strait at you 20 yards away. I'm very fortunate where I live that there is little to no wind. We only get wind like once or twice a month. And it usualy never exceeds 30mph.

Good luck

It is all open were we are hunting. We hiding in some rocks.
I am not sure what the call is, it belongs to my son, I am I never look, it is my truck, heading out Sun. morning. Wind blows here usually around 15 to 20 but it has been real nice last week. Not sure if you know where Lake Isabella is, it is known to blow. Thanks for all the tips. Mike

No way! My grandpa lives in kernville so I have called up there before. I would try any jack rabbit distress. If I were you I would buy some bobcat tags and go up to chimney mountain, if it's not to snowy up there. I went up to my grandpas over thanksgiving, them dang yotes seem to never come in up there they hat sit and howl. But if I were you I would definatly start low on a jack distress then after about 5 minutes pause for a minute or 2 then put the coyote pups distress for about 5-10 minutes if they dont come in after that swich stands.

Good luck tomorrow!

By the way do you know RL Melton? That's my grandpa.

No hunting today, raining hard. Califhunter, no I don't know your grandpa. I have lived in isabella since 73. Building contractor, built quite a few homes in Kernville. Chimmey peak rd has no snow. We hunting in hanning flat on the north side that is private by rabbit island. Did some damage on the chuckar popluation, on Sat. Lot of fun.

I'm not sure how long my grandpa has been living there exactly. But I know it's been a long time. He lives up Cyrus canyon. Good to here about the chukar. We shot a lot of quail up there. Keep on the yotes though. I'm going up to my g-pas' over spring break.

Yup right across the dirt road lol. Buckshot has so many deer horns. My grandpa and Buckshot are pretty good friends.

Haha crazy though that we both know him lol, what a small world. I think he hates me though. He dosent like me riding the quad on the road up there lol.

Go figure, he rides quads all the time, checking cows in the high country. Can't wait to see him, I will say something to him.

Haha alright yeah i always like drift around the corners and stuff. He ended up telling on me to my grandpa lol

Hey Mike, lots of coyotes out by houser canyon. I live in Ridgecrest and seen a crap load of them between chimney peak road and walker pass during deer season.I just got a call and I'm gonna try my luck soon. Weird, small world cause I know Buckshot too. I killed a big old 3x3 in Cyrus canyon years ago.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom