You ever notice?

Sako300rum

You know I have reached out to fellow members in regards to hunting gear or opinions with draw information and statistical data, but when you try to single out someone who has asked for help in the past for help on hunting units, or past experiences where members have needed help, they go silent when you try to ask for information on their PAST experiences?

I would tell you that most that have been here awhile have been burned by someone or many someone's after they have shared information. I have seen a change over the years. There are guys that have been here for years, that exchange information between them and their peers, and are a lot less likely to give out information just to give it out. I will try to help folks as much as I can, but I have to be honest, I don't give out as much as I used to.

Rich

I'm not interested in giving out my opinions anymore if it is a spot I hunt regularly or ever plan on hunting again. If it is a high point hunt that one cannot hunt frequently, maybe...
I freely give opinions on gear and tactics but not hunt areas.
No one should be offended because someone else won't GIVE away intell/info they have gained through hard work and years of experience.
Do your own work and see if you feel like posting it all over for every internet geek to have!

I see that you are talking about people who have ASKED for help, or who have received advice... Seeking the payback from them in return. I see your point. I was talking about just not wanting to give up my experience - just cuz someone asked. Not the same thing. Sorry

I've helped a lot over the years on multiple forums and have received help as well. I'm the type that is always trying to pay it forward. I've even given people specific info on the exact places I hunt in OTC units and it's pretty rewarding to have them send you a picture of their kid with their first elk. I also feel like most of the places I hunt are so overrun with people they are already blown up and all you have to do is put in a little more effort than most to be successful.
I'm referring to elk mostly because I really am not much of a mule deer hunter as of yet, I've spent most of my life hunting elk and haven't really gotten the mule deer bug until recently.
I can see how a mule deer spot could get blown out pretty easily since older deer are so few and far between.

If it's a general season area that I consistently hunt then I'll be fairly vague with information. But like has already been said, if it's a limited entry area, then I will help out as much as I can. And I've helped out people on areas I'm trying to draw but haven't yet. That gives me a chance to do additional research/scouting and hopefully take something from their hunt while also providing them with (hopefully) useful information. I've given out (hopefully) useful information on this forum and I've also been the recipient of great information from people on here.

You're definitely right. Can't tell you how many threads I've seen where guys have asked for input on high point hunts, received some valuable public insight (and I imagine some very good info via PM) and then when guys follow up to ask how their hunts went, the threads sit idle forever.... I will hopefully be one of those asking for any input folks are willing to share this Fall if I'm successful in the draw, and rest assured will follow up on how the hunt went and pay it forward with what I learn. I also understand the sensitivity of "honey holes" and would never ask or expect anyone to share that info.

Last fall I drew a sheep tag, everyone I talked to gave a lot of info. One person that went guided gave me a detailed map of her entire hunt. In fact one guy drove 4 hours just to meet me and talk for a couple of hours than headed home. Now ask the same question about a big Mule Deer, Nada,nothing,they are all gone, lips are sealed

Deer honey holes are just that! More deer in the future will use those spots - bcause of food, water, cover.... whatever. It doesn't pay to give out that info. Public land means someone else may find it even if your lips are sealed! People are hunting deer year after year - not like sheep or once in a lifetime hunts.
Dont get burned waiting for Payback of info you have given - by not giving it out in the first place.
I was scared my nonresident brother would blab about spot I took him... Had to tell him exactly what to say in vague wording!

Lots of now days honey spots was honey spot for old timers.
It's funny that a guy was telling me last season about a great hunting spot, it was one I had almost 20 years ago it when dead now it a honey spot again. Never can tell if a old spot will come back to life.
I keep notebooks of area's that I know are good in several states
some pay off others are are in a down swing or was never a good honey spot.

It’s funny you bring up honey holes, I have a file cabinet full of 45 years of hunting information. I might just have to do a little digging

You’ll get burned in some way or another any time you give info to strangers, regarding an area you like to hunt or hunt often. Once you tell someone about an area, that’s now their area and can/will share that info with others.

just keep your mouth shut and don’t share info. Everyone is better off taking that route.

Regarding the OP's original question: When I give anyone any information on a particular spot, It's usually pretty vague. I have given out specific info twice. Once was a fellow whose father(NR) was mobility impaired. They killed a nice buck. The other time I gave a guy( NR) some specific info and he was able to take a cool trashy buck. I won't give specific info to residents unless it's a super hard tag to draw and I like them. Most NR won't ever draw those tags again for many years.

In EVERY instance that I give out info, I make it adamantly clear that they KEEP THEIR LIPS SEALED. This could be a big reason why some of these guys are reluctant to give out info. Staying true to their word!

My biggest rule when ever I help someone privately is they not share anything I shared. Especially since the areas are places I hunt all the time and they may hunt once or twice. Sorry but I will not share any information that I did not get through my own expierience.

sharing information some else shared in private is an poor move...

I keep thinking slightly sober will give me a tip in the cache unit where he finds those giant moose sheds

The harder the tag is to draw the more I am willing to help.

I always report back and expect the same.

The higher your message count is on MM the more likely I will try to help. The more you contribute to the site the more likely you will pay it forward. Asking for help with a message count of 2 is a red flag for me.

Since I'm not into trophy hunting that much, I really don't have a "honey hole" for either deer or elk and am willing to tell anybody where I hunt. But I always tell them that there may or may not be a big one there.

I'm a little more picky about my moose and antelope spots because those tags are harder to come by. But, even then I'm willing to help if I'm not hunting there that year. I've even given them maps and have set up blinds/bait for them. (But, no more bait now.) However, I do expect a report and usually get it. I've really met some nice people doing it that way.

I've reached out a few times for help and a couple guys have become dang good friends. I just went on a magical aoudad hunt with a MM member who helped out immensely on my Wyoming moose hunt.
I try to give back too but, like others, I'm pretty selective who I hand info too.
I also try to report back to the person who helped me and maybe even add some info or spots that they didn't know about.
Most guys WANT to help but are a bit reticent because they've been burned.

Zeke

You know, at one time this website was outstanding for hunters helping others. I would go on here to ask for help and get it. In return I would help others and still do. Now it seems to be just a bragger forum. For all those that had helped out over the years, thanks a ton. This past weekend, in Arizona, hunting turkeys I helped out 4 hunters from Phoenix on where to hunt. I'm not even from Arizona. Hunting is suppose to fun not stressful. All most people are asking for is a starting point. If there asking for anymore then that's not right. If you anything of a hunter that should be enough. Help when you can and not in a negative way but positively. Most people don't give a reply to info that they received since there hunt wasn't successful. If it was you can read about it on this forum. That should be enough of a reply. But when you responded to the individual did you say keep me updated? When I have asked this of them they did. My rant for the day, sorry. Going back to Arizona today to hunt turkeys again.

We helped a guy from the forums here with a hunt a few years back . He was successful . We asked him to keep specifics to himself. Next thing we know we are hearing from other successful hinters on here that they got their info from the guy we helped. Needless to say the area is now blown and filled with trucks by 4am opening morning. Live and learn!.
I always try to help others and give them the same respect with their advice as I would hope they did with mine.
I also have made a few really good friends on these forums.

I've been on both sides of that coin numerous times. Been burned more than once from it. It can be a tough call what info to give up. I used to be involved on this site a whole lot more but I took a little hiatus. I have recently came back and I've reached out not for areas but more for info and experience on particular hunts. I very much appreciate those who have PM'd or contacted me to talk. Its very helpful to know there's folks out there willing to do at least that.
Even though it doesn't make it onto this forum I have been contacted by different guys that asking for my past experiences in different areas. Mostly in units that are hard to draw. I help with what I can because why not, ill never see those tags again. Plus I love seeing people have good success. So there is a fine line I guess.
I get it nobody wants to give up what they have worked hard to figure out and I'm not trying to start a debate. Just offering my thoughts is all. Guess I just like to think that me helping someone else comes back around one day!

HD

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom