You shootin' this buck in the best unit in Wyoming?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
It's opening day of the archery hunt, and you're in the best unit in Wyoming for big bucks. You've seen two better bucks scouting, but this one feeds out at 58 yards. You've got 6 more days to hunt. You've got 20 seconds to send an arrow before he's gone forever. You shooting? Can you get a shot off? How big is he?

How big are the other two bucks? Has there been any signs of any pressure or others hunting the other two bucks?

If the other bucks are not a lot bigger, better be shooting!

If the other bucks are being hunted, better be shooting!

That looking away view is always deceiving but I would say he is pushing 180, maybe not quite there.
That is a pretty darn good angle for an archery shot and does look doable.
However in the best big buck unit in Wyoming and two known bigger ones in the area I think I would keep hunting.

It would be over he would probably be running scared but there would definitely be a arrow in flight

I would be very happy with a buck like (180"+) that but could see myself holding out. If either of the other two bucks was an absolute giant (net over 190" typical or 220"+ NT) I would be ok with eating my tag before shooting another buck. If the other two bucks were only slightly bigger or I thought I didn't have a good chance of finding them again, I wouldn't hesitate on this buck.

I don't care what the other 2 bucks look like opportunities like that dont come around bow hunting very often. A guy would be a fool to let that opportunity slip away

Ide pass. I’m more willing to eat an LE tag shooting for the stars than to pass a buck like this one on an easier to draw tag.
Plus, since it’s G, if I struck out in archery ide come back with my rifle and kill one of the top 2 bucks on the rifle opener :p

If he hits my predetermined standard, I'd shoot. 58 yards might be too long for me. I'd likely pass because of the yardage, not the buck.

And I live in Wyoming and am still unsure what the best area here is. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Unless I had plenty more bucks the same size or bigger on my fireplace, I would pass. I don't so I would most certainly shoot. 58 yards is a bit far but I am not from Utah. :)

I would shoot him. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, especially archery. That is a fine deer. I think sometimes with all the magazine/media pics etc. I get a little jaded. I know many of the guys on here are better hunters than me. But, for a normal dude its a pretty good archery buck.

58 yards is outside of my comfortable shooting range otherwise I would be shooting him. A velvet buck is still high on my bucket list!!! I'm guessing he is 181-182.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom