You Shootin'?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Let's say you're in one of Colorado's better units on an early rifle hunt. You did some scouting, but didn't find anything all that great. However, you've heard talk that there are 200 inchers running around.....probably just "talk", but maybe not.
It's opening day and this buck feeds across an open slope at 420 yards. You've got just 20 seconds to take a crack before he's gone for good and you'll likely never see him again because there are others hunters running around.
You shootin'???

420 is a little out of my comfort zone, but with a solid rest I would let lead fly. No way I could pass on a Buck of that size.

After dropping 15-20 points on a Colorado high end unit. There's no way I'd pull the trigger on opening day. That's a borderline Utah general season buck. I most likely would shoot it later in the season if nothing better had been seen.

Last edited:
Not a gimme shot but anybody who has spent the time behind the trigger on their rifle shouldn’t be concerned one bit at that distance. He’s definitely a great buck, likely 185-190 gross but I don’t think he tripps my trigger even given the scenario.

Not me. Just because I am not set up to shoot past 300 yards. Never have shot that far. If it was 300 or less, I would shoot.

7mm Dakota dial spun to 3.6MOA on the ground prone leveled up controlled breathing I would have tried to send it at that 14-16 second mark in your clip

Since your scouting didn't find anything bigger, I think most would be shooting...including me.

Great buck. Can’t imagine too many places I’m passing on a buck of that caliber. 420 is too far though. I’d need to be get closer.

Well worded question, Founder. Given what you said, I'd try to take him. I generally shoot 180 deer because there are fewer every year around here. If I really knew there was a stud there, I would hold off.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom