Your best wind story from WY…

SS!

Long Time Member
We all know Wyoming is a windy state. What’s your best wind story? Collapsed tent? Drifted in so bad the walk of shame? Here’s mine:

It was blowing so hard last fall when we were hunting antelope near the Colorado border I could hear the cries of CO residents about antler restrictions and region G should be a draw. Worst wind I’ve ever encountered…

So let’s hear your best wind story…

Here's mine. Antelope hunting in 73, weather was great. One afternoon a super cell thunderstorm hit our camp when we were out hunting. This is what we came back to.

FB_IMG_1625201133148.jpg

FB_IMG_1625201143698.jpg

FB_IMG_1625201151562.jpg

FB_IMG_1625201162874.jpg

What does a Utah hunter who travels to Colorado say to Marilyn Manson when they get ready to sit down at the campfire?

Can I push in your stool?:love::love::love::love:
I’ll take that as a you don’t know either. Besides being the only one in the world who takes a bar stool camping, I can’t help but notice that you have an unhealthy obsession with sex with men.

I’ll take that as a you don’t know either. Besides being the only one in the world who takes a bar stool camping, I can’t help but notice that you have an unhealthy obsession with sex with men.
Your Ignorance reminds me of the Colorado hunter who went to Wyoming and snuck into the Wilderness area to go hunting.

A Colorado hunter goes into the Wyoming Wilderness area to hunt a bear. He carries his trusty 22- rifle with him. After a while, he spots a very large bear, takes aim, and fires. When the smoke clears, the bear is gone. A moment later, the bear taps the hunter on the shoulder and says, “No one shoots at me and gets away with it. You have two choices: I can rip your throat out and eat you, or you can drop your trousers, bend over, and I’ll have my way with you.The hunter decides that anything is better than death, so he drops his trousers and bends over; and the bear does what he said he would do. After the bear has left, the hunter pulls up his trousers and staggers back into town. He’s pretty mad. He buys a much larger gun and returns to the Wyoming Wilderness area. He sees the same bear, aims, and fires. When the smoke clears, the bear is gone. A moment later the bear taps the hunter on the shoulder and says, “You know what to do.” Afterward, the hunter pulls up his trousers, crawls back into town, and buys a bazooka. Now he’s really mad. He returns to the forest, sees the bear, aims, and fires. The force of the bazooka blast knocks him flat on his back. When the smoke clears, the bear is standing over him and says, “You’re not doing this for the hunting, are you?”
:love::love::love::love::love::love:

Your Ignorance reminds me of the Colorado hunter who went to Wyoming and snuck into the Wilderness area to go hunting.

A Colorado hunter goes into the Wyoming Wilderness area to hunt a bear. He carries his trusty 22- rifle with him. After a while, he spots a very large bear, takes aim, and fires. When the smoke clears, the bear is gone. A moment later, the bear taps the hunter on the shoulder and says, “No one shoots at me and gets away with it. You have two choices: I can rip your throat out and eat you, or you can drop your trousers, bend over, and I’ll have my way with you.The hunter decides that anything is better than death, so he drops his trousers and bends over; and the bear does what he said he would do. After the bear has left, the hunter pulls up his trousers and staggers back into town. He’s pretty mad. He buys a much larger gun and returns to the Wyoming Wilderness area. He sees the same bear, aims, and fires. When the smoke clears, the bear is gone. A moment later the bear taps the hunter on the shoulder and says, “You know what to do.” Afterward, the hunter pulls up his trousers, crawls back into town, and buys a bazooka. Now he’s really mad. He returns to the forest, sees the bear, aims, and fires. The force of the bazooka blast knocks him flat on his back. When the smoke clears, the bear is standing over him and says, “You’re not doing this for the hunting, are you?”
:love::love::love::love::love::love:
Anal rape fantasies with talking animals? I remember back when they used to hang people like you from fences up there.

Still waiting on that marilyn manson answer.

Still waiting on that marilyn manson answer.
You obviously are infatuated with Marilyn Manson, always asking about it. I am sure you and Marilyn would love pumping each other up around the campfire on Brokeback mountain.

If you lay awake at night with urges most men don't have towards Marilyn Manson you might just come out of the closet and get on with it. He/she/it enjoys her little Colorado twinks, you would fit in well

Maybe you already have.……..:love::love::love::love::love::love:

Please explain to me why I’m an idiot. I think I know the answer, but just want to do a metaphorical “nut check”. :rolleyes:

Last year I was hunting North East of Medicine Bow. It was the middle of October and the winds were sustained at 40mph with gusts to 70+mph, At least that's what the radio station said. I pulled my truck up on a hill to glass and needed to get out and get rid of a Coke I drank earlier. As I opened the door, a gust hit and ripped the door handle out of my hand and bent it flat against the front fender. After some cussing, I was able to get the door pulled back around and closed. It shut and latched, but it didn't seal too well. I ended up using gorilla tape folded 2/3 over along the top of the door to seal it up which actually worked pretty good.
When I got home I replaced the hinges with new ones and it's good as new.
Tip: when it's windy like that point your truck into the wind before you open the door.

Last edited:
We were hunting in the Shirley Basin for antelope and had a big wall tent set up and a smaller dome tent that we kept supplies in like water, extra food, backpacks. The tent was pretty full and had several cases of water in it. A dust devil showed up, we watched it coming and the path led it to the dome tent. It picked the dome tent up and put it in a tree about 20 feet off the ground. It stayed in a tree until the dust devil past and then it slammed to the ground. Pretty impressive.

Rich

I was cruising down 25 heading to Wheatland last October with 60+ gusts. Well one of those 60+ gusts caught my tonneau cover and off she came. I drove about a quarter mile looking like Super Man with my cover flapping and pounding my tailgate.

Not WY, but another time in Alberta Canada near Waterton, we got back from hunting and heard a roaring sound coming from the mountains. Asked Bernie (our guide) what that was and he said you don't want to know. He lived there his whole life and only witnessed it a few times. Some freak wind storm that starts in the mountains. For 2 days it blew 80 + MPH. I watched stacks of hay bales 30' high get blown around like they were cardboard boxes. I actually saw a few calfs get blown over. Couldn't even glass from the truck it shook so bad. And it warmed everything up to about 60 degrees so the hunting sucked afterwards.

Last edited:
I was traveling through southern Wyoming many years ago, trying to get home for Christmas. A snow storm closed the freeway over Elk Mountain but with no motels available in Laramie I was told the road around the mountain was still open, so off I went.
It took an hour to get to Medicine Bow and I stopped at the motel and was just paying for their only available room, when a small family came in. So I gave the room to them and kept going. By that time I was in the worst ground blizzard I've seen. The wind was blowing the snow totally horizontal and visibility was maybe 20 feet. I fortunately got behind a big Semi following his lights and took another 2 hours to go the 20 miles to Hanna where I was happy to find a trailer house hotel to stay in.

Oh and many years later I missed a Book Antelope at 400 yds because I didn't factor enough Wyoming wind. That one really pizzed me off!

I was driving home on I-80 on a snow packed road in the ole aluminum ford. The wind was blowing hard and the rear end of the truck would just start going sideways. After seeing several semi's on there side, they shut down the freeway. I have been stranded in Rock Springs and Rawlins on two different trips.

Last year I was hunting North East of Medicine Bow. It was the middle of October and the winds were sustained at 40mph with gusts to 70+mph, At least that's what the radio station said. I pulled my truck up on a hill to glass and needed to get out and get rid of a Coke I drank earlier. As I opened the door, a gust hit and ripped the door handle out of my hand and bent it flat against the front fender. After some cussing, I was able to get the door pulled back around and closed. It shut and latched, but it didn't seal too well. I ended up using gorilla tape folded 2/3 over along the top of the door to seal it up which actually worked pretty good.
When I got home I replaced the hinges with new ones and it's good as new.
Tip: when it's windy like that point your truck into the wind before you open the door.
Not as bad, but had this happen twice over the years. One I did repairs myself- other required auto body work! :eek:

In 2005 there was a large fire burning in SW WY. The forest service and BLM had a command center setup on a bluff. There was about 75 tents setup and a half dozen blue rooms. Windstorm came up while everyone was out on the fire line and blew all the tents and blue rooms off the bluff. Just a big ball of tents at the bottom.

Last fall driving SW from Denver my wife and kids were able to see a semi actually tip over from the wind. Middle of the day and blew skies…

I don't really have any outlandish story but the fact that there is a thread dedicated to wind in Wyoming makes me feel good. We were there last year and oh my god I've never hunted in wind like that before, but apparently my experience was par for the course. Since this is a hunting focused forum, I gotta ask. Is there any hope of making a harvest in such conditions? My experience was we didn't see didly squat and I figured it was because everything was bedded up in all that damn wind!

I don't really have any outlandish story but the fact that there is a thread dedicated to wind in Wyoming makes me feel good. We were there last year and oh my god I've never hunted in wind like that before, but apparently my experience was par for the course. Since this is a hunting focused forum, I gotta ask. Is there any hope of making a harvest in such conditions? My experience was we didn't see didly squat and I figured it was because everything was bedded up in all that damn wind!
Yeah the wind does help to sneak around and get downwind. I haven't seen the wind affect animal movement too much. They would starve to death waiting for the wind to stop sometimes :D

Don't know if wind itself is a huge factor for game movements, but wind chill surely is. When I was a kid we were hunting whitetails in the Bear Lodge mountains near Sundance. The still air temp was -20, and the wind was gusting as high as 40. CRAZY. We would park the vehicle, leave it running, and do "short" circles through timber and then back to vehicle. On one of those circles, we literally walked right up on a doe that simply refused to acknowledge we were there. Last circle dad shot a small buck- same thing, like we weren't there. We gutted it, laid it over a log to drain, headed back to the 'ole Blazer. Drove back to that buck. Went to pick it up to toss it in back, but it had already frozen solid. I have a pic somewhere of that deer leaned up against a tree in camp. It rode back strapped to the tailgate, lots of trucker's honks all the way home.

Opening morning goat hunt I put a blind on a water hole. About 45 min later a truck rolls up and asks me what the hell i was doing. I explained I was trying to hunt antelope. He claimed that 2 days earlier he put up his blind right about where mine was and figured I had taken his down and put mine up. We argued for 30 min or so and ended up finding his corner stakes with his strings attached and broken. He still did not believe me that the wind could be strong enough to break his strings and blow his blind away. Must of been a non res.

Somewhere between Cody and redlodge, I had all four of my rain guards over the windows peel off. Only one I noticed was the drivers window, the rest were just gone when I stopped.

So many stories, so little time. I've had hunters "spring" my pickup door. I've literally been blown over. I have seen people get blown over backwards when they are too relaxed peeking over a ridge. Many days in the Laramie Range, especially near Chugwater or up Highway 34. you can't look through your spotting scope because of the wind. But the area between Elk Mountain and the south end of the Shirleys near Medicine Bow is even worse.

Every year, I have multiple hunters who say "I can shoot 800 or 1,000 yards." (Or whatever range.) And every year they show up and say "How can you even shoot at all in this wind?" As JM says, we hunt walking into the wind, peeking into those areas where the wind is either still or less of a factor. People complain almost constantly and say "Can't we just walk with the wind at our back for a while?"

I have lost a few hats peeking over rims. I saw one go about 75-100 yards and and it went out of sight before it hit the ground.

I've had several times when I stop to pee that I pee and the wind is so strong (those 60-70 mph gusts) that the urine vaporizes and never even hits the ground. Only evidence I actually peed is the small specs of mist that blow up and get on my sunglasses. UGH... My urinary velocity is sure not what it once was, but my pee should still make it to the ground.

I could go on and on about hunters and shots and windage. Most hunters refuse to believe that a bullet will move close to 2 feet at 300 yards under any conditions. I have to pull up my ballistic program on my phone and show them that in a 50 mph full crosswind, even a 300 magnum will drift over 22 inches at 300 yards. We almost never shoot in a full crosswind, but it sometimes happens. Makes for good discussion anyway.

The best stories involve bodily functions and people who must not understand wind or have very little common sense. I have some great stories about hunters and bodily functions but it's not appropriate to fully share them here. Suffice it to say that you need to be sure to hang on to your toilet paper and also make sure that you have your back to the wind while peeing (guys) and your face to the wind while you are pooping. Being aimed the wrong direction can lead to some serious messes and I have personally seen and been involved in the clean-up process. Not fun and certainly embarrassing for the culprits.

I forgot I have lost multiple tents with broken corded poles and quite a few ground blinds with broken poles or just blown away. I stake those ground blinds with long rebar poles and they still get shredded and blow to Nebraska.

The wind even bent the thick 1" conduit frame in a wall tent year before last.

One time I was calling coyotes in Wyoming and there was no wind for one whole day. That is more rare than all of these wind stories lol

HAHA, been about 100 degrees with no wind at all for several days this summer! It really blows...

For work, I used to drive to the Kemmerer and Evanston area twice a week. I’ve seen it snow all day and there would be no snow on the ground but there’d be 12inches on the side of the telephone poles... ?

I got one for SS. Never thought I would of been wearing long johns as i had to last weekend looking for sheep. The snow made it chilly

I got one for SS. Never thought I would of been wearing long johns as i had to last weekend looking for sheep. The snow made it chilly
Two words. PUFFY PANTS.

I just put my pajamas in my pack. I thought of you at 4 am. In a non sexual way.

Fishing in Sybille Canyon on a pretty breezy day when the winds really picked up. I could hear it coming down the canyon so I adjusted my footing in the creek and leaned it.
It blew me over.

My wife and I were ice fishing on a smallish reservoir a few years ago and it was calm so I did not stake down the corners of the Eskimo pop up ice house.

My wife heard a roar and a couple seconds later the wind hit us and blew the ice house off of us. We had a difficult time walking into the wind the 100 yards back to the vehicle.

I remember watching the ice house tumble end over end the quarter mile to the dam, up over the dam and out of site. When we finally got to the vehicle and loaded up, we drove on the highway that is on the backside of the dam. There was our ice house stuck in the barbed wire fence.

The damage to the ice house was minimal. No broken poles or large tears.

A scary experience for my wife; now she does not like to ice fish if there is any wind at all.

ClearCreek

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom