Your Opinion??

Phantom Hunter

Very Active Member
Just wondered what folks think of the NMGF moving elk muzzy and rifle seasons to a later date? Seems like less bugling, more bull holed up to recover from rutting activities. Is this intended to reduce success on mature bulls? What are your thoughts.

It's what it was for years if I recall,I'm old.....
I think the elk rut has been late the last few yrs personally.Peak in Oct.,1st week. So it's carried into Nov. it seems. At least in my neck of the woods.
I don't mind . Can't draw a rifle in rut to save my life,let alone MZ lately anyway.
My most memorable bull hunts have been late post rut solo bulls....unsuccessful of late.But a blast sneaking in or trying to.
Elk need a break sometime....IMHO,all game.

I do believe that is the reason behind it. Being an archery guy that doesn't bother me on bit haha. Here of late the rut in most places have been late but in the units I was in it was right on time in 2014. The rain fall fired em up, bulls were screaming on the last weekend in August, mid September was out of hand!!!!! I got to be involved in all 5 hunts this year in the unit. The bulls were a little active in the first rifle hunt but completely silent by the second, nothing compared to September.

They have the calves about the same time every year. I had on Oct 9th hunt last year, and they were bugling but not fired up at all.

I think most muz and rifle hunts are starting on the 17th is a bit late, but I would gladly take one without complaining.

A lot of cow hunts moved from the third weekend in Nov to early Dec. There might be a little more frost on the pumpkins.

I recall the elk rifle/muzzy hunts being this late about 4 or 5 years ago. We drew the first hunt in a Gila unit and the bulls were going crazy with intense rutting activity (Bulls were fighting and running cows.) The following year we drew the second hunt in same unit and I clearly remember bulls still bugling routinely in the morning and evening. I don't think its that big of an issue. I also think allowing more time from archery to the rifle season will help.

I am a high school football coach and every 4 or 5 years they have to move the start date back a week, then it slowly creeps back forward then 4 or 5 years later they move it back again. I think this is the same thing that happens with these hunts. If they don't move it back every 4 years or so then it will make its way into September slowly (that would be interesting with a rifle). I know everyone only notices it on the elk because of the rut, but if you look most deer ones seem to have moved back a week also. That is my thoughts on why.

Any tag is a great one. A twist to the post what are your thoughts on having Q/HD youth hunts. I agree the youth should have there own pool to draw but I'm on the fence that they should have there own Elk hunts.

Pnuts,
I took both of my kids (12 and 8) on my daughter's cow hunt in December this year. She tipped one over mid-morning on the second day. IMO, kids that are learning what hunting is all about do not need the added pressure/competition of a few hundred other hunters. It was nice to be out teaching the kids and enjoying the experience with them. Other than staying at the hotel, we only ran into one other hunter while out in the field. Yes, on their own season.

Congrats to your daughters on their recent success.. If you read my post I said I was on the fence on Q/HD hunts not cow hunts. Actually I don't agree on the youth having a youth hunt only on a Q/HD hunt. I think all hunts should have a youth pool. They are the future of hunting.

This will be the last year my kids can benefit from the youth hunts.
No matter how much time goes by, I will support everything NMGF is doing for youth hunters.

Q/HD, Cow hunts, youth encouragement I am 100% behind all of it. They are the future of hunting, and huntings future needs all the support it can get.

NM PAUL,

I so agree! There are so many options for kids.

I am on the fence of giving them primo hunts, during the rut.

NM gives them many options.

The few Q/HD bull hunts for youth are awesome - I fully support them. My buddies son drew one of the best hunts last year - and shot the first 5x5 that came screaming in. Could have held out for a giant - but he just wanted a bull. That kid will remember that hunt for life - and that is priceless my friend.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-15 AT 08:26AM (MST)[p]I helped on 3 youth hunts so far....I am 120% for Q-HD hunts for our youth. The Elk hunt I helped last year was amazing,my nephew had a horrible case of "bull fever " and missed two different 300 class bulls on opening day.One at 80 yards,another at 150.I would like to see more deer youth opportunities before the regular season hunts take place.

every 7 or about 7 years due to calander creep the g and f have to kick the rifle hunts back one week. Happened in 2008/2009 and now 2015. Will happen again in 2022. every year we move forward one day. no scientific reason behind it.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom