Youth 2B

HUNTINFORLIFE

My son drew his first deer tag this year in 2B Oct. 21-25. Just wondering if anyone can give me insite on road conditions that time of year. How is it if it gets wet, what kind of road access with a truck or do i need to plan on taking a 4 wheeler.
Thanks in advance.

Truck is fine, if it is an open road a truck can drive it, dry. If it rains the roads there get slick very fast especially in the northern part of unit. A SxS would help if it rains of course. That will be a tough hunt. There will be almost no migratory deer there yet maybe if storms come early but you will be hunting mainly resident deer.

Truck is fine, if it is an open road a truck can drive it, dry. If it rains the roads there get slick very fast especially in the northern part of unit. A SxS would help if it rains of course. That will be a tough hunt. There will be almost no migratory deer there yet maybe if storms come early but you will be hunting mainly resident deer.
Thanks for the info. How is the resident deer population we arent afraid to put on some miles to find deer. This is his first deer hunt at 10 years old I think any 3 point or better that we see will be in trouble.

Thanks for the info. How is the resident deer population we arent afraid to put on some miles to find deer. This is his first deer hunt at 10 years old I think any 3 point or better that we see will be in trouble.

Might want to lower that size "restriction" and just be happy taking any legal buck, especially for a very pre-teen on his first ever deer hunt.

Just being realistic and honest is all...

Retrieval should be very easy. Roads are everywhere in that unit, so no matter where you get one, a road is very close.

There are some big resident bucks in this unit. Still a tough hunt but the potential is there. It’s not all doom and gloom like everyone makes it out to be!

Except that unless you're very familiar with the unit, you can spend the entire hunt and not find a "big 'un"...

Retrieval should be very easy. Roads are everywhere in that unit, so no matter where you get one, a road is very close.

Can't drive on anything past a locked gate, which most of these roads that are everywhere are behind, both USFS and BLM.

There are some big resident bucks in this unit. Still a tough hunt but the potential is there. It’s not all doom and gloom like everyone makes it out to be!
E1C6F0A3-1D3D-47B1-B5AC-C44D0066DE86.jpeg

Except that unless you're very familiar with the unit, you can spend the entire hunt and not find a "big 'un"...

Can't drive on anything past a locked gate, which most of these roads that are everywhere are behind, both USFS and BLM.
Good point. It would be to his advantage to have a systems key to get past but it’s better if you have your own.

My son drew his first deer tag this year in 2B Oct. 21-25. Just wondering if anyone can give me insite on road conditions that time of year. How is it if it gets wet, what kind of road access with a truck or do i need to plan on taking a 4 wheeler.
Thanks in advance.
My cousin drew 2b last year in October. The roads were fine. But I have never seen so many road hunters in my life! Guys were shooting left and right from the road. We were driving down the road and this dumbass coming from the opposite direction seen a deer run across the road, jumped out of his truck shot right towards us.Be careful out there! I have some pings I would be willing to share if you want to pm me.

If you get any substantial rain, the roads turn ugly and you can have a hell of a time getting around. Bring chains and a shovel.
At the very least, you'll burn up valuable hunting time just trying to get around from spot to spot while trying to get through the clay.
If your hunting area is not limited by hwys, then a sxs will get you around in an instant and is a great thing to have but their engine sound travels very far.

I've seen as many whopper resident buck as I have migratory so I've never distract myself with the timing of the migration.

The unit is huge and some areas just hold more deer than others. In my opinion, that's the biggest challenge faced by those who do not know the unit.

Hunt the waterholes on the east side of the unit close to the res.
Mtn bikes come in handy for those loaded gates.
Talk to those oil field guys and ask them what they been seeing some of them will try and help kids find bucks.

It was a grind but we made it happen. We are supper excited with this buck considering we were only seeing a few deer a day for the first 4 days. Also when we called in the harvest last week the guy told us this was the biggest buck that had been reported in for that hunt so far. Thanks to all that gave me input on this unit.

IMG_2009 (1).jpg

It was a grind but we made it happen. We are supper excited with this buck considering we were only seeing a few deer a day for the first 4 days. Also when we called in the harvest last week the guy told us this was the biggest buck that had been reported in for that hunt so far. Thanks to all that gave me input on this unit.

View attachment 126323
Congratulations my son has the hunt starting Saturday any information you can share would be greatly appreciated

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom