Youth Antelope and deer

shootakill

I have 2 boys 8-9 that are begging to hunt New Mexico. I feel like deer and antelope would give them the best chance of success for now. Does anyone have a good direction to send me? I don't need any thing special or trophy just something where we could see a good herd of animals and hopefully be successful. thanks in advance.

Agreed: I'm not sure where you're coming from but NM isn't a state I'd be traveling to for hunting deer.

Antelope tags are low-odds draw, you might look into WY for antelope.

The problem with elk is all cow hunts are for residents only, so drawing bull tags as a NR is also difficult.

Carl

I am making an assumption that you are a non res. Unless you have some good intel on a easy to draw NM unit. Drawing a youth tag in NM for any species as a non res is nothing to bank on.
That being said, by all means apply for them and keep in mind you get 3 choices so use them wisely. Swing for the fences on the first choices and put a hunt you would be willing to drive here for as 3rd choice.
Elk is best hunts in NM, but, Antelope would be good too. Might as well apply for deer in some of the better units.

First of all, they both have to have completed a hunter's safety course, your home state is fine.

Second, do as suggested and apply for home run hunts (for elk), and they will have to be bull unless you can find a landowner tag for cow.

Third, study the draw stats from the past 3 years to identify what may be your best options to draw. As mentioned, choose wisely but also be willing to put some time in and learn about the hunts they do draw.

yeah sorry i didnt put in much info they have hunters safety done and we would be traveling from utah. I will be letting them apply in other states once they are old enough. I was just thinking antelope and deer for the opportunity to hunt and kill an animal elk are a little tougher but i if its a good unit that would be a different story. thanks

Shootakill said: "Elk are a little tougher"
Reuben says: "Maybe in UT or Iowa, not in NM, even in mediocre units."

I'd love to take my kid squirrel hunting in Wisconsin "for the opportunity", but in NM it's elk "for the opportunity."

>yeah sorry i didnt put in
>much info they have hunters
>safety done and we would
>be traveling from utah. I
>will be letting them apply
>in other states once they
>are old enough. I was
>just thinking antelope and deer
>for the opportunity to hunt
>and kill an animal elk
>are a little tougher but
>i if its a good
>unit that would be a
>different story. thanks

You'd be better to focus on antelope in NM if elk and just any opportunity is not a preference.

I have 2 boys 8-9 that are begging to hunt New Mexico. I feel like deer and antelope would give them the best chance of success for now. Does anyone have a good direction to send me? I don't need any thing special or trophy just something where we could see a good herd of animals and hopefully be successful. thanks in advance.
NM does have some good youth opportunities. The non resident pool can be tough in some units but there are some units and species that have really good draw odds for youth hunters, especially in the outfitter pool. Some of those deer hunts can be tough though. If you are interested in talking more feel free to look us up online and give me a call. Antlermountainoutfitters.com

I put my son in for youth elk hunts for 7 years never drew one bull elk tag but if you do it will be the best hunt you go on.i believe and this is my opinion N.M. has the best youth bull elk hunts.

Dont just look into the youth hunts for your youth.
Think that's the biggest mistake and #1 reason youth dont draw. Vast majority of youth hunts are tough draws. But there definitely are some sleeper opportunities in NM for youth hunters. Being a NR it gets expensive but theres no better investment than your kids and time spent with them. I put my two sons hunts well ahead of my own desire, and it's way more rewarding.

for antelope try unit 52 youth hunt. for deer I would say unit 17 youth deer and I would not over look a youth elk hunt. 17 13 15 all youth muzzy hunts and very good hunts.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom