Youth Antelope Success

ixsolracxi

Took the girls, daughter and g/f, on their speedgoat hunts this weekend. Already posted on my g/f's first kill and now it's my daughters turn.
Within 3/4 of a mile of leaving camp we see a goat and could use an old railroad "hill" as cover. We get up on top, open the bi-pod, but the buck spots us and takes off east where another pair of hunters take two shots and miss sending the buck back our way. Alex tells me she has the buck in the crosshairs so i tell her to go ahead and take the shot but aim a little high because it's 308 yards out. She shoots twice, misses short, and the buck takes off. We stay in the pasture as I glass a herd of goats south of us. The hunters from earlier were driving that way and the goats move east then north so they are now east of us. Two bucks move to a fenceline and go under so we decide to go after them as they go over a little rise. As we get to the fenceline i noticed two bucks have made their way toward the fenceline and they bed. We use the fenceline to conceal us and we cut the distance on the bucks. We get to 225 yards and are waiting for a buck to stand so she can take a shot. As we are waiting I notice one of the bucks that crossed the fence staring at us and after a few minutes beds down. It's a little over 300 yards and facing quartering away from us. I tell Alex and we decide to go after it. We made our way to the buck while hunching over finally getting to 123 yards. The bi-pod is opened and she gets into prone and finds the bucks horns in her scope. I ask her if she wants me to get the buck up and she replies "yes, but don't scare it to where it runs away daddy!" I whistle for a few minutes and nothing finally I had to make a high whooshing noise. The buck stands up and within a few seconds the shot is made and the buck drops. I tell Alex the buck is down and she got it to which she replies "DAD, I KILLED IT? I KILLED IT?" and i reply yes, baby girl, you got it. She is jumping with excitement and says let's go get it. She made a perfect lung shot. It was a so exciting to have this moment with my little girl,13, and watch her excitement. The buck is by no means a trophy in trophy terms but it is her wallhanger as it's already at the taxidermist. This moment is a trophy in itself which i hope is repeated more times during her youth. My apologies for the bad pictures I took.

8517imag1206.jpg

8083imag1208.jpg

2557imag1213.jpg

7036imag1225.jpg

The girls with their bucks.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom