Youth Elk Unit 16C

Andouiller

My son drew the 16C youth tag that runs October 10-14 and I have begun to do some e-scouting and looking over maps. I plan to call the biologist to ask questions but was curious if anyone on here could give their thoughts on the unit and this hunt. We live about a 12 hour drive from the unit so it will be difficult to scout much on the ground. (hoping to do one 3-4 day scouting trip.) my son is 10 so he will be excited with any bull and i will be excited to just get him out on his first big game hunt, but I am curious what type of bulls to expect to hunt on this unit, if they will still be rutting a little etc. Thanks in advance to any thoughts.

Yes you should have some rut activity. Definitely call the biologists for that area as he knows it well. He helped us a bunch in the past, his info is good.

Yes you should have some rut activity. Definitely call the biologists for that area as he knows it well. He helped us a bunch in the past, his info is good.
Thank you, I left a message with him yesterday. My kid will be excited to know they should still be rutting a little.

You’ll hear some bugling but likely as they are going from feeding to bed and a response if you get close enough to piss one off. Not likely you’ll call in a good bull but you never know. I’ve hunted C twice can be tuff but there are some spots where the elk are. Get there a day or so early. I was able to find bulls off the road but mostly rags. We did see some good 6x6 so anything is possible.

We enjoyed what was one of the most rewarding and fun weeks of hunting I have ever been involved in. My son came home with his tag in his pocket but as a father it was a blast to watch him learn and ask questions all week. He hiked on average 6-7 miles a day and glassed for hours a day and He never complained once. We saw a few good bulls, most bulls were broken up fairly bad. Opening night we had a good Bull at 25 yards but needed him to take a couple more steps for a shot in a clear path and he wouldn’t comply. After opening day it was tough, hot, no rutting activity and it seemed the bulls had headed to the timber to rest up from the rut. I wish the dates had been the normal week earlier but it is hard to complain when a 10 year old has a bull elk tag in his pocket. It was an experience that we will cherish for a long time and we are already researching more opportunities for next year. Thanks to everyone that sent PM’s and offered help and encouragement.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom