Youth encouragement 16D

nmyotebuster

Good morning all,

We are headed down to 16D the weekend after Thanksgiving, and I was hoping someone could give us a general vicinity to look into.

I normally hunt 16A and 6A ( and sometimes 9 ), so I am more than willing to share what info I have to any youth hunters hitting those areas.

Happy Holidays to all here on MM, and good luck to all of the kids heading out later this month, and again after Christmas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

Nmyotebuster,

Must be nice going out on those YE hunts. Unfortunately, I can't do those anymore, last year was my last one forever. *sigh*.
Why not hit up 9 again? I'm sure its not super muddy like last year!

I don't have any info on 16D, but I have hunted 16C and the entire time we were out there we ran into elk. Although if I remember right, 16D is tough terrain, and steep country (or so I think? I might be thinking of 16E). I will try to find info for you and let you know!

Best of luck!

>everybody needs to quit killing all
>the cows in 9, there's
>hardly any elk left!!!

I can attest to that, we saw ZERO elk last year for the Youth encouragement Muzzleloader hunt.

Unfortunately due to his school schedule this was the nearest unit, and all the time we had.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>Nmyotebuster,
>
>Must be nice going out on
>those YE hunts. Unfortunately, I
>can't do those anymore, last
>year was my last one
>forever. *sigh*.
>Why not hit up 9 again?
>I'm sure its not super
>muddy like last year!
>
>I don't have any info on
>16D, but I have hunted
>16C and the entire time
>we were out there we
>ran into elk. Although if
>I remember right, 16D is
>tough terrain, and steep country
>(or so I think? I
>might be thinking of 16E).
>I will try to find
>info for you and let
>you know!
>
>Best of luck!

Thanks 505! Yeah, the 2 youths I am currently mentoring have 1 more year, and then I will have to just find more kids who want the opportunity to join the ranks of sportsmen/outdoorsmen/hunters, and take them too.

Remember they don't have to be "your" kids you take out. More youth in the field will help our passion continue into the future.

That is very true man, very true. I am trying to get my brother involved but he doesn't like the cold or the getting up early haha.

But at least they are getting out, that's all that matters.

As far as no elk in 9 goes, I agree to disagree. Yeah, G&F offers to many late tags for that unit, but the quantity over weighs quality. There are still a few monster bulls in there, but are few and far between. Majority are small 5x5's or 6x5's or lower. And cows, plenty of them, just need to know where to look. I have hunted there all my life, as well as my granddad, and every year in the summer and spring when we go scouting/camping we see hundreds of cows, and tons of bulls. But come time the hunt, they are gone. I think they have gotten smarter with all the tags NMG&F set's out for them and just vanish onto private property during those times.

The unit is definitely a fun one and a favorite, but they need to take a stand on the poor management - it really goes to show who is calling the shots over there when it comes to public/private land tags. Sad, sad.

Unit 9 is not even a 1/10 of what it used to be.

It is not even in "our" radar applying for. We used to live up there, and it was incredible.

It started with the MB-A tags in the late 90's, the landswap changed things, and then the 600 rifle cow tags.

The entire southern portion of unit 9 is private. G@F flies over and see all the elk, and lower the hammer with tag numbers. I would like, if they would do a 9a 9b type deal for the public and private. If it would help, the G&F surveys. But not sure, if it would really matter.

yotebuster...i will be down there for the same hunt with my 13 year old daughter...i will send you a pm when i get home...

My daughter has the 6a hunt next week. Have some spots scouted up high, but not sure what will happen if the snow comes in. Any ideas? PM is fine. More than happy to share any info I have.

ELKMAN,

I agree, 9 is not what it used to be. But there are still elk up there. We still apply there every year because we have our spots and know where to find them.

But the land swap and numerous amounts of tags definitely doesn't help. I think that separation of 9A 9B would be a good idea, maybe. It's hard to tell anymore haha.

PM sent AlleninNM

PM returned ixsolracxi.

Number of elk tags in unit 9 are taking a tremendous cut for next year, I believe it was the only unit to cut the number of tags,all other units remained the same or increased.NMYOTEBUSTER PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW YOU GUYS DO ON YOUR YOUTH HUNT.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom