Youth hunting all general deer seasons ???

heartshot

Very Active Member
My coworker's boy drew a Pine Valley, General Season, Any Legal Weapon Early hunt (Oct 13-17th)

PERTAINING TO YOUTH ONLY General Seasons
Based on pages 17 and 52 of the 2021 field regulations :

Very Clear - If you draw an archery tag you can only hunt the Archery Seasons

Very Clear - If you draw a muzzloader tag you can only hunt the muzzleloader season

Very Clear - If you draw the General Any Legal Weapon tag (23-31 Oct); you can hunt the Archery, Muzzleloader, Any Weapon Early (13-17 Oct), and The Regular Any Leagal Weapon (23-31 Oct)

NOT Very Clear - If you draw the General Any Legal Weapon Early tag (13-17 Oct) ??? Can you still hunt the Archery, Muzzleloader, and later Any Weapon (23-17 Oct.) ???

That’s a good question
You can only hunt the 13th - 17th the reason why they did that is for crowding purposes-but they can still hunt the archery and muzzleloader hunt they can not hunt the later hunt from 23-31unless something has changed.

Best way to find out is call the DWR and hear it from the horses mouth….

Page 17:
"Any legal weapon deer permits
If you are a youth and you obtain a
general-season any legal weapon deer permit,
you may hunt buck deer during the general
deer seasons
—in the unit listed on your
permit—until you either harvest an animal or
the season ends.
First, you may use archery tackle to archery
hunt the unit listed on your permit from Aug.
21–Sept. 17, 2021.
If you haven’t harvested a deer by the time
the archery season ends, you may hunt the
same unit during the general muzzleloader
and general any legal weapon deer seasons—
including the early-season hunt, if it’s
offered on your unit—using the appropriate
equipment. (See the box on page 52 for
details.)"

The early hunt is a "general-season' permit and it is "any legal weapon" permit.

Page 52 is a Scenario of hunting the early season, if offered in your unit, if you have "an any legal weapon buck deer permit."

Page 17 has specific paragraphs that archery tags and muzzleloader tags can only be used for their respective seasons. There is no specific paragraph for the early general season any legal weapon hunt. This makes me reason that since the early tag is a "general season" "any legal weapon deer permit" and that no paragraph exists (like archery and muzz) limiting you to only the early season; that you would be able to hunt all seasons including Oct 23rd rifle.

I told my bud to check with the DWR. Also curious what others thought and if somebody has already dealt with this issue.

Page 17:
"Any legal weapon deer permits
If you are a youth and you obtain a
general-season any legal weapon deer permit,
you may hunt buck deer during the general
deer seasons
—in the unit listed on your
permit—until you either harvest an animal or
the season ends.
First, you may use archery tackle to archery
hunt the unit listed on your permit from Aug.
21–Sept. 17, 2021.
If you haven’t harvested a deer by the time
the archery season ends, you may hunt the
same unit during the general muzzleloader
and general any legal weapon deer seasons—
including the early-season hunt, if it’s
offered on your unit—using the appropriate
equipment. (See the box on page 52 for
details.)"

The early hunt is a "general-season' permit and it is "any legal weapon" permit.

Page 52 is a Scenario of hunting the early season, if offered in your unit, if you have "an any legal weapon buck deer permit."

Page 17 has specific paragraphs that archery tags and muzzleloader tags can only be used for their respective seasons. There is no specific paragraph for the early general season any legal weapon hunt. This makes me reason that since the early tag is a "general season" "any legal weapon deer permit" and that no paragraph exists (like archery and muzz) limiting you to only the early season; that you would be able to hunt all seasons including Oct 23rd rifle.

I told my bud to check with the DWR. Also curious what others thought and if somebody has already dealt with this issue.
"until you either harvest an animal or
the season ends."

Right here is the line that would make me question if they can hunt the later hunt, it says "
until you either harvest an animal or
the season ends."
His season ends on the date listed on his tag. So the later hunt may not fall under the rule because his season has ended already.

But it does also say:
"you may hunt buck deer during the general
deer seasons"
This says "Seasons", so that would include the late hunt. Looks like you will just have to call and find out.

the season ends."

That exact thought also crossed my mind about that wording. Then I thought about the extended archery which would have dates beyond the early season dates.

I wish there was a publicized email address for asking the DWR questions. Get it in writing kind of thing. All the Contact Us online buttons only give addresses and phone numbers for questions.

Nevertheless, I called and asked the Cedar City office. There was zero hesitation telling me that a youth with an any legal weapon tag for the early season could hunt all the general seasons (archery, muzz, any legal weapon), including the later hunt that begins Oct 23rd. ( I was super specific about early October 13th vs Regular Oct 23rd.)

I also called the Ogden Office, exact same response without hesitation.

To youth with early season rifle tags: Enjoy the extra opportunity!

Last edited:
the season ends."

That exact thought also crossed my mind about that wording. Then I thought about the extended archery which would have dates beyond the early season dates.
FYI, a youth with a ALW (rifle) tag cannot hunt the extended archery hunts. Only youth with an archery tag can't hunt on the extended hunts. That's how it used to be anyway.

I wish there was a publicized email address for asking the DWR questions. Get it in writing kind of thing. All the Contact Us online buttons only give addresses and phone numbers for questions.

Nevertheless, I called and asked the Cedar City office. There was zero hesitation telling me that a youth with an any legal weapon tag for the early season could hunt all the general seasons (archery, muzz, any legal weapon), including the later hunt that begins Oct 23rd. ( I was super specific about early October 13th vs Regular Oct 23rd.)

I also called the Ogden Office, exact same response without hesitation.

To youth with early season rifle tags: Enjoy the extra opportunity!
FYI, a youth with a ALW (rifle) tag cannot hunt the extended archery hunts. Only youth with an archery tag can't hunt on the extended hunts. That's how it used to be anyway.
Never mind, disregard my last post, looks like they changed it at some point.

Any legal weapon permits If you obtain a general-season any legal weapon deer permit, you may use archery tackle to archery hunt the unit listed on your permit from Aug. 21–Sept. 17, 2021. If you haven’t harvested a deer by the time the archery season ends, you may hunt the same unit during the general muzzleloader and general any legal weapon deer seasons— including the early-season hunt, if it’s offered on your unit—using the appropriate equipment. (See the box to the right for details.) You also have the option of using archery tackle to hunt in the extended archery areas as soon as they are open to hunting. Just be sure to complete the archery ethics course available at wildlife.utah.gov/extendedarchery.

Makes me wish I lived in Cedar City... Id love to hunt Pine Valley with my daughter next year. (She will be 12). A few days every season would really get us excited.! I think we'll be going to Fish Lake or Boulder though... Just because I've hunted there before.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom