Youth Idaho Elk Hunt Unit 31 Brownlee Oct 1st-14th

clo90

My son drew a tag for this unit this year. It is his first year hunting, and he is super excited. I have been on google earth studying the area and plan to scout it this weekend. I noticed the PAYETTE NATL FOREST area. Does anyone have any advice or tips that could help us in the area? I greatly appreciate any input. Thank you.

youth hunt? those are the same dates as the 100 rifle tags in there. whats the "youth" aspect of the tag he drew? cow?

D6native is right. It was just better opportunity for youth to draw. I think they gave 100 tags for the general application, and 50 tags for the youth application. It is an either sex permit.

Any plan on getting boots on the ground before the season? I would highly recommend it, it's a big unit with lots of steep and deep if you're willing to plunge into it. Plenty of animals to chase on the national forest, and plenty of big deep pockets to get into and away from roads and trails. Should be a good time for a first hunt.

the elk get pushed around quite a bit during archery in there. lot of hunters and i suspect this year will be a zoo in September with what tag sales are doing and the proximity to Boise. i killed a bull in there last year but am going to a different unit this year for that very reason. ton of access, id suggest a side x side or quads to get around but not required. watch the private property. i know about the biggest land owner in the unit and they are diligent about keeping guys out during hunting season because of the crowds. a lot of those elk will be down on private by October but there is no reason not to expect filling that tag if you put in the work.

i suspect you'll end up on the Mann creek side. most guys do especially ones new to the unit.

It is a good tag. My buddy drew it this year. His family is the landowners I know so he’s looking for 370+ bulls. It just gets hammered during archery. There’s good bulls on public ground up there though. You put the work in where your looking up there in the hitts and you’ll have a good hunt. They’ll be bugleing still so if you know how to call your money up. If your going up this weekend and have a side x side go up to strurgle look out. Give you a good lay of the unit from there. Fun ride too

He sure did, I spent a day with him and showed him around, saw some elk, showed him what I would and wouldn't do, I think he's planning a second scouting trip soon and he's going to have a good time with his son.

The young man killed a fine 6 point bull opening day! They stopped by my house today to show it off and I'm super happy for the 12 year old hunter. Hopefully his dad will post a few pictures and a great story.

I love hunting with kids and seeing them be successful. Hopefully we as a group can get more youth involved and carry it on.

My son had a awesome hunt! Thanks to everyones help and especially D6native for taking the time to point us in the right direction. We planned on getting there a few days early but unfortunatly wasnt able to make it up untill the day before opening morning. We was able to glass the the main area d6native reccomended for about 1-1/2 hrs before sunset and spotted a couple of bulls. We got up early the next morning and went to the same area. His uncle spotted this bull about 2000 yards out. We put the sneak on him about 9 am with his other uncle still spotting the bull. The bull bedded down in an area so we decided to hold out. After hrs of waiting he poked his head out around 6 pm. We made a move to where his uncle said he was feeding to. The bull finaly showed himself out about 150 yards. When the time was right my son pulled the trigger and made the shot happen! I was a super proud father with an extremely excited son! We couldnt of made this happen if it wasnt for D6native, some scouting friends, and his uncles. Thanks for everyones imput on this hunt, helping my son get hooked on hunting and making some new friends! We appreciate all the help we got. Thanks again.

Resized_20201001_193427.jpg

Heck yeah that’s so awesome! Congratulations!

Seems like all I ever read anymore is negative. I loved reading this, and seeing people help each other out, especially for youth. Congratulations to the young man, and respect to D6. That's awesome!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom