Youth tag 241

ReelGame

My daughter and I got lucky and drew some desert big horn ewe sheep permits this year. If that wasn't enough she got even more lucky and drew a youth deer permit for the Clovr/Delmare mountains. This will be her first year hunting big game and I'm trying to not say things that would make her think she should be a trophy hunter her first year (if at all), but I understand this area has some nice bucks. Should I prepare her now to let the small bucks walk till a nice one comes along or just let the bullet fly at the first buck that presents itself with an ethical shot? We live fairly close to both units so we'll be able to spend a few days in them, unfortunately the sheep and deer hunt seasons overlap quite a bit. Trying to decide where to focus our time and efforts is turning out to be somewhat difficult...decisions, decisions. Ya I know 1st world problems. We're both rookies in Nevada, so I was glad to see that she drew something. She's already getting her journal ready for this new adventure.

ReelGame,

I drew the area 24 tag last year and was able to track down a very nice buck. I say let your daughter decide what she wants, being her first big game hunt. I would let her know that this is a "trophy" area and what that means, but if she takes a liking to a 130 class buck, I wouldn't discourage her from taking a shot....same goes for a 180+ buck (though I think the excitement in your voice will notify her that she may want to take that one). I think time able to spend will have a lot to do with it. If you have lots of time, you can be picky. If not, not so much. No words of wisdom for which species to focus on...though a big mule deer buck has more meat that a bighorn ewe. ;)

Good Luck

I haven't eaten mutton before so it will be a new one, but I'm a little more excited about the deer hunt. We probably will have 3 or 4 days to spend on the deer hunt throughout the season. Just wondering if we should focus on the delmars or the clovers? I've hunted the Utah side by the clovers but this will be a new adventure on the Nevada side.

When she sees a buck she likes she will know. Everyone does. U your self know the potential on that unit but she does not. She will more than likely be happy with taking any buck with her dad by her side. As far as the ram hunt goes I would hunt hard and try and fill that tag. As hard as it is to get I would make sure that thing was coming home taped to an animal. Good luck to both of you!

desert sheep meat IS NOT mutton.....waaaaaay better table fare than any mule deer.

323421626570513685990098870652286725493870346854n.jpg

Well, she is nearly dialed in with the 243. It's getting closer, but still haven't decided where or even what species we'll be hunting opening weekend. Leaning towards the sheep though. What type of taxidermy have you seen done the ewes? European? Tanned hydes?

Me personally ewe or not I would get a shoulder mount. That's such a hard tag to get even for the ewe i would want to remember it

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-17 AT 11:09AM (MST)[p]>Well, she is nearly dialed in
>with the 243. It's getting
>closer, but still haven't decided
>where or even what species
>we'll be hunting opening weekend.
>Leaning towards the sheep though.
> What type of taxidermy
>have you seen done the
>ewes? European? Tanned hydes?

I got mine done as a shoulder tabletop pedestal mount and my wife did a euro. Next one(if it ever happens), I'm doing a hide and euro.

I'm anticipating getting a ram to put next to my euro sometime in my lifetime :)

Meat is fantastic! Deer doesn't even come close and we preferred sheep over alot of different game and exotic animals.

Good luck!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom