Youtube Hunting Etiquette??

DBLung

In leu of what's happening on another thread, I thought this might be a great time to discuss the goods and bads of Youtube hunting videos.

I for one love watching them. Especially hunts that are in the mountains around where I live, and the game I love to hunt.

However, Some video's are just plain stupid!! What makes a good hunting video? INHO Lots of animal footage, lots of scenery footage, happy hunters, and trophies that are in relative to the situation. A kid shooting his first doe is just as cool as someone hunting a grizzly and not being successful.

What's not cool about YouTube hunting videos? Showing 20 minutes of a person talk into the camera about what they're doing. Talking into the camera while driving and playin luke bryan in the background. NAsTY! No Kill Shots! After watching 20 minutes of you talking into the camera, the next scene starts with "Well we just shot our bull" I know we're not expert cameramen but come-on man. Lastly, acting all big and bad like you never graduated from high school and still obsess about your wrestling days. Nothing better than a humble grateful hunter.

What Are your thoughts???

I have nothing to add to the other other topic even though I do have an opinion about it. But one thing’s for sure, you’ll never see a video or picture from me posted on YouTube, Facebook or Instagram because whether done perfectly or ending bad, someone will find (or make up) fault. A lot of good people no longer share their success because of this.

I think hunting videos need to be taken off of YouTube. Not because I disagree with them, it’s because everyone is so easily outraged and the few that are loud enough get the attention. It might be okay if they posted hunting videos and removed the kill shot. Maybe it would water down the outrage a little.

I don’t watch hunting videos anyway. I do watch a lot of gun and reloading videos and they are almost as negative as the hunting videos. Kind of sad really. Guns to me are marvels in engineering and history relics, not killing machines.

Too many people are trying to become hunting superstars that it's further ruining a traditional heritage. Flat brim hats are quickly being replaced by ZZ Top beards...

Have you ever asked a person being filmed or the camera man what just happened?

They can't. Most of the time they want to immediately refer to the "tape". If they do give you an answer it is usually very inaccurate from the real event. Memory inaccuracies are very normal during exciting moments, but they seem greater when a camera is on scene. Something about filming makes people loose perspective and they don't actually make real memories of what was going on in the kill box.

I need my memories more than I need internet buddies.

As the original post of “the other thread” I wouldn’t mind weighing in…..

I have no social media. I have been a member of MM for a minute as well as other forums.

I believe not only in hunting, but other aspects of life, that’s social media is the degradation of societal norms.

They set a precedent that has not been seen before, and they advocate for un-normal “norms”.

As much as it pains me to admit. I wish that hunting videos were not allowed on such platforms. But the problem is, that another platform would just pop up. And regardless of the platform, it would give fodder to the antis. Especially considering they can openly see and use the fodder of our own quibbling internally.

As the original post of “the other thread” I wouldn’t mind weighing in…..

I have no social media. I have been a member of MM for a minute as well as other forums.

I believe not only in hunting, but other aspects of life, that’s social media is the degradation of societal norms.

They set a precedent that has not been seen before, and they advocate for un-normal “norms”.

As much as it pains me to admit. I wish that hunting videos were not allowed on such platforms. But the problem is, that another platform would just pop up. And regardless of the platform, it would give fodder to the antis. Especially considering they can openly see and use the fodder of our own quibbling internally.
I hear you and agree with you 100%, but also should point out that MM is also social media, and while not the cesspool that Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and others are, it has similar impact. The whole “got to get it done for the Gram or MM” is at play here just as much as it is those other mediums.

I do believe hunting was much better when none of this crap existed and we did it for the love of the outdoors and sharing it with only those we were closest to??

To be honest, I wish all these hunting videos would go away. Cracks me up these hunting “experts” sitting in blinds on stilts wearing camo and makeup, shooting off a tripod at a QDM deer.

The antis use these against us, and there are more anti groups than pro hunting groups. They are getting into our game commissions and using those positions to reshape and eventually eliminate this privilege. Having some idiot out there yelling “smoked him” or ”dead right there” or some other lame-ass whooping and hollering isn’t helping our cause, only helping the manufacturers hawking their wares.

Haven't watched hunting shows in years and that includes Youtube. However, I'm sure most of you guys here are against cancel culture.

YouTube hunting is how I get my fix for the outdoors when I'm working in an office 2080 hours a year... a couple vids at lunch always help. I have my preferred guys who do a good job of showing all that is hunting. There are plenty you can just tell are Posers.

I have posted some vids to YT. Its the best way to share with my family and friends. I have no interest in subscribers or anything. I'm not rich enough, don't have enough time, and wouldn't want my favorite hobby to become a livelihood.

To be honest, I wish all these hunting videos would go away. Cracks me up these hunting “experts” sitting in blinds on stilts wearing camo and makeup, shooting off a tripod at a QDM deer.

The antis use these against us, and there are more anti groups than pro hunting groups. They are getting into our game commissions and using those positions to reshape and eventually eliminate this privilege. Having some idiot out there yelling “smoked him” or ”dead right there” or some other lame-ass whooping and hollering isn’t helping our cause, only helping the manufacturers hawking their wares.

The video in the thread that started this thread has some of that sophomoric verbiage in it about smoking it or something along that line.

Normally see this kind of behavior from inexperienced and adolescent hunters/guides/outfitters...

I miss the days when people spent time editing their videos. It was a lot more creative, the camera work better, music built up the suspense, and there wasn’t click bait titles to watch boring vlog style hunts that have way too much talking. Also their is too much information given on teaching people how to apply, how to scout, etc. I miss when you had to read books or forums to find out info on hunting. I really don’t like the influencer scene in hunting. I believe it’s done more damage than good.

It will be interesting to see a few years from now where it is. Some, like Gritty and Newberg are heading down a subscription based road. I watch a hunting video so sproratically I don't see myself desiring a monthly charge and a big annual payment. I cant see the cord cutter generation paying a dime for content, so I can't imagine that model flourishing.

The real issue is the monetizing. More dudes thinking they are BORN AND RAISED or HUSH, mean more dudes thinking they can be "professionals" BRO first year doing the 50 days(can't remember the actual number) was kinda novel, and because they are ACTUALLY good at hunting elk, it worked. But, been there done that now, and the other 300 plus days, I can only see so much steelhead fishing or gear review.

Most, are like HUSH. Trying to live of of YouTube but not really possessing skills or knowledge that sperate themselves from any other guy you see at Cabela's, so they desperately try to jump on any and all trends to try to remain, only further exposing themselves as hucksters

The thing that I hate about YT videos is when they have drone footage. Knowing how loud and annoying they are makes me turn off a show immediately and feel bad for any other sportsmen in the area who had to deal with that.
If you want some real hunters with great footage check out Stuck in the Rut. Hands down the best hunting family on any social media.

The thing that I hate about YT videos is when they have drone footage. Knowing how loud and annoying they are makes me turn off a show immediately and feel bad for any other sportsmen in the area who had to deal with that.
If you want some real hunters with great footage check out Stuck in the Rut. Hands down the best hunting family on any social media.
Stuck in the rut? Hbahahahababanahaba

Interestingly enough, I have never heard of “Stuck in the Rut.” I searched - the first video I pulled up had drone footage about 30 seconds in… ?

I like to watch hardcore hunting. The posers and goofballs don’t do it for me.

Just like everything else, there is good and bad on youtube. If you think these videos should not be on TV it is likely because you do not like the way they do things. I agree that I do not like everything I see but who are we to tell them how to hunt or what to do with their time. Have we not already lost enough liberties over the last year or so?

I watched a video last night from the hunting public. I think the title was "I almost got ran over" It had some incredible footage of 3 bulls chasing cows and each other all around the hunter. That part of the show was fantastic. Later that afternoon he shoots a bull "a little too far back" and decides to give it over night. 12 hours later they find the bull 75 yards from where he shot it. It looked like Arizona or New Mexico, I am sure that bull was not all that tasty.

I do not think they should be yanked from youtube because they did things differently than I would have. I enjoyed the footage and hope to learn from their mistakes.

I read somewhere that YT will be purging and limiting hunting videos. Its already on its way, as some get flagged and blocked.

IMO there are two types of hunting videos on YT, you have guys who are just sharing their experience and there are guys trying to make content. The fact that people think they are "professional" or better than any other hunter is funny as chit. Hunting isn't that hard, once you figure it out, you figure it out. We're all at some point in the scale of understanding. Its like a 4yo learning to tie their shoes, once they get it they get it.

My favorite videos are of guys with airplanes and giant animals, but try to buffalo you into thinking that they know what their doing, by excluding the fact that they spent days scouting. Yet will say things like, I only had 2-3 days to hunt but pulled it off... With a B&C animal, time after time. Yeah, it totally adds up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom