Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 Versus Leupold 4.5x14x40

excaliber

I'm looking at the Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 1" tube with the rapid Z 800 reticle and the Leupold VX3 4.5x14x40 Long Range 30 MM or 1" tube with a custom drop reticle.

I looked at the Zeiss site and saw some info on how to set up range with the Rapid Z.
Price vise the Zeiss is about a hundred bucks more. I've not been able to look at them side by side yet to compare.

It seems like a custom reticle with drops from Leupold would be easier to use.

How do these two compare optics wise? One of these are going on my new Rem 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag.

If anyone has either of these and seen the other some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Two friends of mine put the new VX-3 on their rifles this past late summer. Neither have custom turrets, but they probably will by next season. I doubt you'll see a difference in glass between the Zeiss and Leupold. I have heard some horror stories about the quality of the Conquest series, and apparently their service isn't the best either. As for the Rapid Z, personally I'd go with turrets over a reticle every time. mtmuley

I agree, turrets! If you want custom Kenton will do Ziess.

I have heard "horror stories" about Conquests as well, but way less than Leupold, so take stories for what they are worth.

Conquest scopes have been proven to be one of the most reliable return to zero/tracking turret scopes on the market, and are proven all the way up to the 50 BMG.

I have a couple of the Zeiss and several Leupolds. They are both good products, but I have to go with the Leupold every time when purchasing a NEW scope. The Zeiss scopes I got great bargains on and the Rapid reticles are nice, but when the chips are down, especially when it comes to customer service, the Leupold cannot be beat by anyone.

For instance, you can send your scope to Leupold for any type of modification you want, and they will suit your needs. I cannot even get Zeiss to talk about installing the Rapid series of reticles in my slightly used Zeiss that has a standard reticle.
Why? They would rather sell you a new scope, of course!

Which makes me wonder... If my Leupold breaks, I get a new one. No questions asked.
Will Zeiss actually do this? I don't know. Maybe someone out there has experience with this...

"Which makes me wonder... If my Leupold breaks, I get a new one. No questions asked."
"Will Zeiss actually do this? I don't know. Maybe someone out there has experience with this... "
I bought a Zeiss Conquest last year and after about 2 months the parallax adjustment knob broke internally. I needed it fixed before hunting season, so I returned it right away with a note explaining the urgency of getting it back quickly and they shipped out a brand new one that I got about a week after I shipped the broken one off. So I didn't like the idea that it broke, but I was happy that they replaced it right away. But I went ahead and stuck a $100 Sightron on to hunt with last year until I could shoot the Zeiss enough to gain confidence that it wouldn't break again. So after hunting season, I put the new Zeiss on and after about 6 weeks at the range, the parallax knob broke internally again. Sent it back and they replaced it with a new one again right away. So I spent the next few months trying to decide do I sell the new Zeiss and get a good Leupold, or do I give it another chance?? This may be a bad idea, but I put the Zeiss on last week and sighted it in for a Wyoming hunting trip in a week. The Zeiss scope has excellent optical quality and the turrets are perfectly repeatable. But I've never ever had to return a Leupold that I bought new. So I'm hoping 3rd time is a charm for the Zeiss. (I'm taking two spare rifles to Wyoming - both with Leupold scopes.) My vote is go with the Leupold if you want a good reliable scope (but Sightron is pretty good also, especially for the price).
-- Bob

As to the Conquest scopes, I own three 4.5-14x44 one 3-10x44, and one 6-20x50. I have never had a problem with any of them. The optical quality is great and the mechanical adjustments have been exact.

I have a few Leupold scopes, two VX-III 4.5-14x50 LR, Vari-X III 6-20x50 LR, and a Vari-X 8.5-25x40. I have had more problems with Leupold not tracking consistently than the Zeiss. Yes, their customer support is great but have needed it more than any other high $ scope.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom