Zen Rays ED2 10x43

I've seen a couple of posts from eye glass wearers who either returned or swapped for 8x43 because they needsed more eye relief. Best glass around for the money.

I have a pair. Pretty good glass. Compared them side-by-side with a Guide's Leicas and couldn't see a difference. In fact, I preferred the ZR's. My main criticism is the stiff focus knob. I like to be able to put the nocs up with one hand and adjust focus. Can't do it with mine because the focus know is too stiff. Might be a deal-breaker for me. They're up for sale.

I have been looking at upgrading my binos lately in the process I have read several reviews on the Zen Rays line of binos. The only complaints that I have come across is the eye relieve giving eye glass wears frustrations, I have read several reviews about the center hinge loosing up over time, and one or two reviews where the Zen Rays sweet spot is not as big as other top of the line binos. By far most of the reviews have been positive.

400bull

I have binos from leica and swarovski, and I think the Zen Rays stack right up there with them. I wouldn't hesitate to suggest them to a friend. You can't touch the value for the dollar.

What I would suggest, however, is buying the promaster version from Doug at cameraland. He is awesome to work with and will give you a good deal.

There are a few different flavors of this bino, probably from the same factory (zen ray, promaster, hawke). Promaster is an established company and will be around 30 years from now. Zen Ray might be, but they don't have that record behind them.

Don't let any of the guys who've mortgaged their houses to buy the latest, greatest super alpha euro glass tell you otherwise.....those Zen ED2's are fantastic. The one's that bash them either haven't looked through them, or have bought a $2000 bino that won't show them anything you won't see through those ED2's. I've personally compared them to a trinovid, slc, EL, Leupy GR HD, and a Bushnell Elite and they run right with those or are optically better.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-10 AT 08:03AM (MST)[p]

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I have the option to trade up my 10X42 Leupold Mojaves which I love for a pair of Zen Rays 10x43 ED's. Are they really that much better? The trade would be straight accross, should I do it? Just never looked through the Zen Rays, do they really give the euros a run for their money?

Adam Hiaring
Ridgeline Outdoors Hunt Staff.

>Gazelle how do they stack up
>against the big companies??

I dont even know anyone who could afford $2000 for binos, but I'll tell you what, these things are nice! If I get to cabelas in Reno I will compare them. And years down the road something goes wrong they will fix or replace for free. Cant lose the way I see it.

Got a steal on the Vortex Razors, was going to trade my leupold so I would also have the Zen Rays, but now Im just selling them and sticking with the new Razors.

Adam

IMO, the Zen-Ray blows the Razor away optically, but the Razor seems better built to me. Both have top notch warranties.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-10 AT 06:30PM (MST)[p]So I recently upgrade and got Vortex Razor binoculars and I thought all was good in my world. A friend at work wanted to compare them to his Zen- Rays 10X43 ED2 with HD and ED lenses.

Most of Monster Mulies people were talking about these being the 2nd coming with Euro Glass for 400 dollars. I am always skeptical so we did a side by side and all I could say was holy crap. The Zen ED'S were at least twice the glass of my Vortex with a life time warranty. To take if further, he also had a pair of leica and their was no Difference between them and the Zens.

I was so impressed I sent back my Razors and today just got a new Pair of the Zen Ray 10X43 ED2. Monster Mulies people were right...2K optical performance, Lifetime warranty, all for 424.00.

I am so impressed that I am willing to let anyone on here compare them at anytime, just let me know. I AM NOT SAYING THEY ARE BETTER THAN SWARO, BUT THEY AT LEAST TO MY EYE ON EQUIVILANT.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/146zena

Adam

>FWIW, your Razors have ED/HD/XD objective
>lenses as well, but I
>agree, the Zen-Ray offers a
>better view.

I don't get you Forman4x4. On this thread you're praising the virtues of the Zen Rays but on another thread (New Asian Binos/Optics Co's.) you're giving me/us sh*t and comparing the Zens to payless shoes and Kmart.

What the hell is the matter with you????

I notice you didn't give Idahotrophyhunter any crap for praising the quality of the Zens OR just as importantly saying we were RIGHT about them. As a matter of fact you appear to be taking the credit.

Believe me I'm not asking for any credit........but I would like to point out what a HYPOCRITE you are..... a**hole

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-10 AT 10:40AM (MST)[p]My point in the other thread(s), which you're too thick headed to understand is, you and a few others did the biggest disservice possible to Zen-Ray through your posting on every board possible that they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. Ever wonder why people question your ties to the company?

They're a nice $425.00 binocular, nothing more, nothing less.

Also, no one other than you really gives a #### that you were a "Navy Optical Man", blah, blah, blah...

Hey tony.aka gazelle, hehe i'll swing by some eve. and we can compare them with the leicas,..in a low light situation,sounds like they are tough to beat for the price!
mike

So I sure didn't mean to cause an all out riot with my post. I just think that the binos are optically up to anything I have looked through which tops out at Vortex Viper and Leica Triniveds. The swarovksi may be better and thats fine by me, but the difference is probably minimal, and I am glad that I can consider myself having top end 1000.00 + type glass that I was able to afford at $424.00. Can't wait to take them to Africa with me in September.

Adam

"Also, no one other than you really gives a #### that you were a "Navy Optical Man", blah, blah, blah... "

Wow Foreman, you just revealed your knowledge on optics. On these forums, nobody knows who sits behind the computer screen. There are very many keyboard experts on the internet whose knowledge is just regurgitated crap that came from another wannabe.

Vichris stated his background to let the readers know his experience on optics. There is nothing wrong with that. Based on his professional experience, I for one now hold his opinion on optics higher than most.

> Hey tony.aka gazelle, hehe i'll
>swing by some eve. and
>we can compare them with
>the leicas,..in a low light
>situation,sounds like they are tough
>to beat for the price!
>
>
> mike
>

Sounds good, Ill be here all day. Swing by!!

>So I sure didn't mean to
>cause an all out riot
>with my post. I just
>think that the binos are
>optically up to anything I
>have looked through which tops
>out at Vortex Viper and
>Leica Triniveds. The swarovksi may
>be better and thats fine
>by me, but the difference
>is probably minimal, and I
>am glad that I can
>consider myself having top end
>1000.00 + type glass that
>I was able to afford
>at $424.00. Can't wait to
>take them to Africa with
>me in September.
>
>
>
>Adam
>Ridgeline Outdoors Hunt Staff.

Sorry Idahotrophyhunter,

It wasn't my intention to get you mixed up in our disagreement.
You are intitled to your opinion just as much as anyone else. You've discovered what a lot of us did when ZR started marketing the original ZR ED. One helluva bino for the money.

Enjoy them.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-10 AT 08:29PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-10
>AT 10:40?AM (MST)

>
>My point in the other thread(s),
>which you're too thick headed
>to understand is, you and
>a few others did the
>biggest disservice possible to Zen-Ray
>through your posting on every
>board possible that they're the
>greatest thing since sliced bread.
>Ever wonder why people question
>your ties to the company?
>
>
>They're a nice $425.00 binocular, nothing
>more, nothing less.
>
>Also, no one other than you
>really gives a #### that
>you were a "Navy Optical
>Man", blah, blah, blah...

This whole reply is laughable. Thickheaded huh.....talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

And you call me thickheaded because I/we did Zen Ray a disservice. HA HA HA HA HA. You are a joke. I'll bet Charles @ Zen Ray wishes everyone would do them that kind of "disservice".

The only reason I've posted and argued as much as I did is because I KNEW just how good they were/are. And the reason I knew how good they are is because I have a little more experience than most. Just to reiterate I HAVE NO TIES TO ZEN RAY (or any other company) AND NEVER RECIEVED ANY PAYMENT, DISCOUNT, OR ANY OTHER GIFT for telling EVERYONE,.... just how good they are. I guess I should add that what set them and some others apart is the incredible price.

Frankly Foreman4x4 I don't give a sh*t if you believe me or not. You are too thickheaded to believe the truth anyway.

Oh and your childish comment about no one caring about my optics experience. I could care less what you think but my mail box on this forum,(and others) is loaded with optics questions from some who do care.

Now doesn't that just piss you off......you FOOL.

I have a question to those of you that have used Zen Ray. I can purchase the 10x43 ED's for 300 bucks or the 10x43 ED2s for 400 bucks. Are the ED2s worth the extra 100 bucks? If so why? Is the dielectic (sp?) coating all that is different? IF so is that worth the extra Benjamin?

The ED 2, in addition to the dielectric coating have a faster focus rate and a noticeably stiffer wheel. The ED 2 has water and substance repellent coatings (which work by the way) and the ED does not.

IF you have the two side by side, you will be able to see the ED 2 does have a little brighter image, but that is partly due to the ED 2 having a more neutral color bias too. The colors are a bit better, as is the contrast. again IF you have one of each and a multi colored resolution chart the differences will eventually make themselves known. Without the two side by side, the differences are pretty negligible I think.

good lord people save your money!!!!!!! I just got rid of a pair of 10x43 and I will never own another pair nor will I ever recommend a pair of these to anyone-I own a pair of older leupold olympics and I thought I was gonna upgrade but holy smokes was I wrong...

Agreed, these are junk!!!!! compared to Minox HG's and it was okay until you expose them to sunlight. The Zen's had horrible glare issues at the bottom 30% of the bins and the focus sucks. I returned them and order Minox....

Its kinda funny how the Vortex's were just as good as the Swaro's, then the Zen Ray's came out and they were better than the Vortex's and as good as the Swaro's, then the ED 2's came out and now they are better than the Vortex's, the ED's and as good as Swaro's. I've had a friend tell me that his $100.00 Bushnells were every bit of as good as my Swaro's and when I looked through them in the middle of the day the Bushnells didn't look bad at all. But on a deer hunt in overcast weather at 300 yards that friend couldn't see the antlers on a 26" wide buck. Then he could see the antlers through his Leupold rifle scope but couldn't tell how good he was while the buck was looking right at us. He shot that buck on my word that he was a shooter and after the buck turned he could tell that he was a good buck. That friend now ownes Swarovski EL's and a 80mm HD spotter. The point is that everyone compares thier bino's to Swaro and I've heard people say that they can't tell a difference between everything from Tasco to any brand you can think of. Its true that Vortex and Zen Ray have narrowed the gap and I'm glad that they have. Not everyone can afford the big three in optics and these new brands are definitely a great choice and are worth the money and it is very hard to see a difference in quality in certain given situations and to the untrained eye. And even the trained eye cannot see it all the time. I think these guys that are excited about Vortex and Zen Ray have a good reason to be. The quality has gotten better in the low price range optics and that makes ME excited. I owne the vortex impact spotter and my friend ownes the Skyline spotter which was supposed to be as good as the Swaro when it came out, but its not, but it IS a quality scope and worth the money that they are asking for it. I also just ordered the Zen Ray ED 2 in 10x43. I've looked through my friends pair and I was impressed with the quality for $400.00. But I do not expect them to be up to swaro standards. But I do expect a great piece of equipment for $400.00. My big point is, don't be too disappointed when all of these new miracle optics don't perform the way the traditional expensive ones do. But be happy that you do have a good pair of optics and paid a small price.
As Foreman 4x4 has stated in the past "good optics they are, Swaro's they ain't." fatrooster.

>I agree with everything you say
>except for the fact that
>they are not worth $400
>

Wow 11 posts and he's already an expert

so you saying youre the expert cause you have 150 posts on a website? whatever buddy just tried and true out in the field is what im trying to say-Im usually hunting while your obviously sitting on the computer all the time

P.S

this is why I dont post on these forums much cause of people like you

The fact that he has only 11 posts probably indicates he spends more time out hunting and gaining experience than typing on a board. That was the most ridiculous statement ever.

>so you saying youre the expert
>cause you have 150 posts
>on a website? whatever buddy
>just tried and true out
>in the field is what
>im trying to say-Im usually
>hunting while your obviously sitting
>on the computer all the
>time
>
>P.S
>
>this is why I dont post
>on these forums much cause
>of people like you

Oh, he's an expert alright, just ask him....

Just received my Zen Ray ED2 8X43, WOW! can't imagine more bang for your buck.

sorry to beat a dead horse but you must sell them or something. They are JUNK look in daylight by the sun and see the glare you get....not worth 450 IMO.

Foothills12 you're high in the night dude...ZERO glare with all 3 Zen binos I've looked through!! You're high...IMO!!

GO KOBE GO!!

~Z~

I actually got a hold of zen ray about the problem I had and they pretty much told me to pound sand cause i had the binos for more than 30 days-it was like 45 days. Im with ya foothills the glare was horrible!!!!!!My huntin buddy had the same pair and sitting side by side his didnt have as much glare as mine-go figure?

The pair i had were awesome. Great in every way. I sold them to my cousin who was in need of a new bino, and he loves them.

I got mine in a few weeks ago and would have to say that they are clearer than my Nikon Monarchs. Not a huge difference, but just a little sharper overall especially toward dusk.

I've never looked through Swaros or Leicias so I can't compare there.

I haven't notice any glare or focus issues with mine.

Hate to say it, but it doesn't take much to be clearer than the Nikon Monarchs. Most overrated glass ever made, IMO.

This thread perfectly illustrates a HUGE problem with the whole optics forum. Guys all over the place coming in and out arguing for Zen-Ray,Vortex,yada yada yada saying they are the best optics on earth or they are total crap.

At any given time half the threads are simply put there for shilling,mostly for Vortex or Zen Ray.I see more on those brands here than in all other virtual and print media combined-you can't tell me that's a coincidence.This whole forum is so shot through with stealth shillers either pitching their stuff or dissing someone else's you can't get any useful info really. I know,I know, some of you are legit but it sure is hard to tell the difference.

Wish there were a way to put a stop to this crap.

I can't agree more it is def people trying to promote them. I ordered them myself and tried them. Needles to say after a comparison with Minox and Nikon I sent the Zen's packing. They are absolute junk!!!!!!!!!

I know that this is going to look like I am promoting the Zens and I am not but I did recently buy a pair for my wife and kids to glass with while I use my Swarovski 10x42 ;).

IMO the Zens don't give up much to the Swaros in optics but in build and fit they come up a little short. The glare that people speak of has apparently been rectified (this is what I read and I cannot get mine to reveal any of the glare "HALO" that people speak of) in the newer models but there are still some of the old ones out there I think.

It is hard to put a number on these in comparison to my Swaros (you know the one where a guy says something like %95 of the Swaros for $990 less)because there are so many variable to compare. Let me just say they are perfect for what I wanted because of price and quality of image so my wife or son or daughter can pick up what I am trying to point out or glass and find something on their own.

Having said that I would buy another Swaro tomorrow if mine were lost or stolen NOT and I REPEAT NOT REPLACE THEM WITH THE ZENS!!I feel if you are on a budget or need a pair of backups or a pair for a kid that you are not sure can take good care of a $1300+ Binocular.

As for Nikon I have not seen a pair yet I would put in the same class as these optically PERIOD. Minox I don't have experience with. Leupold Gold Ring are made better and optically are as good or maybe better. That is all I have compared them to.

Bill

>This thread perfectly illustrates a HUGE
>problem with the whole optics
>forum. Guys all over the
>place coming in and out
>arguing for Zen-Ray,Vortex,yada yada yada
>saying they are the best
>optics on earth or they
>are total crap.
>
>At any given time half the
>threads are simply put there
>for shilling,mostly for Vortex or
>Zen Ray.I see more on
>those brands here than in
>all other virtual and print
>media combined-you can't tell me
>that's a coincidence.This whole forum
>is so shot through with
>stealth shillers either pitching their
>stuff or dissing someone else's
>you can't get any useful
>info really. I know,I know,
>some of you are legit
>but it sure is hard
>to tell the difference.
>
>Wish there were a way to
>put a stop to this
>crap.
Bottom line is, The Zen rays are the most that I could afford and the best binos Ive ever owned. I apprciate all the opinions that came out on this thread and looked forward to reading them everyday. Tony

Some time ago I bought a pair of Zen Ray 10x42 binoculars for my wife. I found that these bino's were very nice and definitely worth the $400.00 that they sell them for. The other day I had them out with my Swarovski EL's and they are by no means in the same class in my opinion. I am not an optics professional nor am I rich enough to buy every bino that comes out on the market just to compare them to what I already have. I'm just a redneck that loves to hunt and loves optics and do not have the optical background that others do in this thread. But to me it was easy to see the difference in the middle of the day in full sunlight with no cloud cover. Like I said, this bino is a great low cost bino which I would definitely recommend to someone on a low budget but it does not equal up to or come close to the quality of the Swarovski EL's. Thats just my opinion. fatrooster.

I should mention the Swaro I have is an older SLC and I am sure the Zen does not come close to the better EL or even the newer SLC for that matter.

Fotrooster is the Zen you have the newer ED2 just curious.

Bill

huntindad4, yes they are the ED2's. I too should also add that in certain lighting conditions they looked pretty good next to the swaro's. But I can say that about many other bino's of varying quality. So if a comparison is made between any two pairs of bino's there are times and conditions when you will not see much of a difference, other times the conditions will show a big difference. fatrooster.

I agree with the lighting conditions and will say that my Zen is clearer than my SLC under all lighting but especially looking toward the sun into shadows I was shocked to say the least but there are many other things to consider with optics besides clarity.

The Zen is hard to center your eyes behind making it harder to glass with and kind of uncomfortable to hold in comparison to my SLC and if my SLC was lost tomorrow I will tell you that I will replace it with another SLC the next day or if I could convince my wife the EL.

I have not looked through the EL other than in the stores so I don't have any experience with them so that is the main reason I was asking about your Zen and your comparison as it gives me a point of reference, so thank you.

It should also be said that my SLC is a little older but in great shape with the swarobright coating and just returned from swaro where they cleaned and replaced the only lens that was scratched (objective) so the Zen probably compares in clarity to 10 year old high end optics but comes up a little short of current offerings.

Huge question marks with the Zens are build quality and how it will hold up and warranty work and if the company will be there in 10 years if needed. but they offer a quality view for an outstanding price IMO.

Bill

huntindad, many more good years to you and your Swaro's and also your Zen Rays. Both worthy glass. fatrooster.

Here we go again. It's been an intersting read. There are some very astute readers and others...well...not so much. It is interesting that more "fringe" brands like Zen Ray and Vortex get the amount of coverage on forums that they do. Brilliant marketing strategy...and it works. Zens are great for their price and better than Nikon Monarchs (also $100 more than Nikon). They're not as good as the top line products and never could be, due to costs involved in manufacturing, materials, quality control, etc. And that's ok. That being said, every hunter should be proud of what they own and can afford. If you can afford the best, then please go and buy it and if you can't then who cares. But you should always spend as much as you can optics, because you get what you pay for. It's a simple equation (much more so in optics than in any other gear). If you can spend $400 buy Zens (if you choose), if $2,000 then go with Leica, Zeiss, or Swarovski.

WYGriz I agree with you on all counts especially the part about the not so astute.

There is no arguing the superiority of Alpha Glass as the best option if you can afford it but only the least astute on this site would assume it is the only option and everyone should give up the farm to buy a pair. I don't market for any brand and have said I own both and would not give up my Swaro for any other glass I have looked through but I am not gonna put a Swaro in the hands of a 13 year old when Zen will do the job if he does his and I don't have to worry about losing $1300. That would be the definition off not so astute IMO.

Buy the best you can afford and listen to good advise from those willing to give it and take advantage of any try before you buy opportunity and don't listen to the "The not so astute" who only know how to bash a person's choice in equipment based solely on it just can't be close at that price.

The thread was about Zen Ray ED2 and I answered with my experience with the product I didn't intend to hurt someones little feelings about their brand I only cited my view.

If your interested in the Zens there are many who sell them some will let you try before you buy so seek them out and get as many options as you can and look through them in actual hunting conditions and make a choice that makes YOU happy, or just pick a brand that someone on a website says is best if money is no object and buy it if it is a Swaro or a Leica or a Zeiss you will be very happy with it either way.

Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom