Zion Early Season Rifle (Oct 7-11)

kswenso2

Hey everyone! New to the forum. I drew for the early season rifle hunt in the Zion unit this fall. After doing some quick research, I realized how difficult this unit will be to hunt and even scout before the season.

The main issue is the lack of contiguous public land in most areas, along with the extreme elevation change throughout the unit. Had a couple questions for anyone familiar to the area and possibly willing to help me:

1. In the 1st to 2nd week of October, are most deer going to be high up and still in their summer range? Are there any deer that stay low year round?

2. Are there any spots in BLM/wilderness areas that see thicker deer populations than others? I am willing to walk and even backpack into wilderness if necessary. Some areas I have scouted out online are big birch, blackridge wilderness, canyons west or Orderville/Glendale, and the BLM land south of Highway 14.

3. What are some contacts I can reach locally to possibly collect more information? I have seen stories on this forum of people contacting hardware/tire stores and getting helpful information from the locals.

Any help is much appreciate. Thanks

Most deer start pulling off the top by then and are transitioning to lower country. Tough unit with the private issues. Tougher hunt with those dates. Not seeing near as many deer this year as in previous. Zion is overrun with recreationalists all summer long, then with any hunting pressure the animals are headed for the private. Good luck, there is always a chance, I would be focused on the low country in the southern parts of the unit. A lot of the country on the southeast side is landlocked by private and CWMU's.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom