Latest and greatest

BUGLEnmIN

Very Active Member
I’ve been looking into to new bows and figured we need a new topic here any how.
I’ve been shooting Hoyt since 2002 and have absolutely loved the turbo line. My favorite of all time being the Faktor turbo. Since Hoyt came out with the technology on the Rx5 and newer I can not bring myself to buy one. I do NOT like binary cam technology, or the one size fits all cam either. Us guys with shorter draw lengths are at a huge disadvantage with these types of cams. Reminds of the tech in an old school Tom Cat . I thought about jumping ship and grabbing a bow tech but same thing with them. I’m thinking I’m going to settle for the RX4 turbo since it’s the last of the 3 cam system and true cam and a half. I guess the real question is is there enough of a difference from the RX2 to the RX4 to justify a purchase?
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I think you might be over thinking things a little. Years ago I bought a brand new Bowtech Insanity CPX which was know as a very fast speed bow. It was a flat shooting bow and I loved it. But I wanted to try hoyt for a long time. I then got a good deal on a hoyt RX1 Turbo. It was faster than my bowtech and much much easier to shoot well. I shot that bow better than any bow I'd ever owned. I've always wanted the speed bows or turbo bows like you because I have a short draw length. Well last fall I won a Hoyt RX7. Since they don't have a Turbo option I didn't have a choice but to run the regular RX7. I actually gained 10 FPS with the new RX7 over my old RX1 Turbo. It's an amazing bow.

I guess my point it is, the new bows are great shooters and are very effecient. I have no idea what arrow weight and things you are using, but pretty much all of the newer bow will flip sticks plenty fast enough for anything you'll need to shoot. Super heavy arrows are overrated in my opinion. My RX7 is shooting 420 grain arrows 292 FPS and I had a complete pass through on a mule deer at 75 yards in January of this year. That was enough evidence for me to know that I wasn't missing anything by not having my turbo anymore.

I've shot the same Bowtech Reign 7 since 2016, dual cam. With annual tuning and replacing strings every couple years I've had zero complaints. I think in the early 2000's bow companies really struggled with dual cams. I think they've got it down pat now.

That said, from a reliability standpoint, you can't go wrong with a single cam.

I think you might be over thinking things a little. Years ago I bought a brand new Bowtech Insanity CPX which was know as a very fast speed bow. It was a flat shooting bow and I loved it. But I wanted to try hoyt for a long time. I then got a good deal on a hoyt RX1 Turbo. It was faster than my bowtech and much much easier to shoot well. I shot that bow better than any bow I'd ever owned. I've always wanted the speed bows or turbo bows like you because I have a short draw length. Well last fall I won a Hoyt RX7. Since they don't have a Turbo option I didn't have a choice but to run the regular RX7. I actually gained 10 FPS with the new RX7 over my old RX1 Turbo. It's an amazing bow.

I guess my point it is, the new bows are great shooters and are very effecient. I have no idea what arrow weight and things you are using, but pretty much all of the newer bow will flip sticks plenty fast enough for anything you'll need to shoot. Super heavy arrows are overrated in my opinion. My RX7 is shooting 420 grain arrows 292 FPS and I had a complete pass through on a mule deer at 75 yards in January of this year. That was enough evidence for me to know that I wasn't missing anything by not having my turbo anymore.
What’s is your draw length? My Faktor is faster than the RX2 turbo, my draw is 27.5 arrow is 450 grain, and that ol girl is sending it at 306 fps.

I've shot the same Bowtech Reign 7 since 2016, dual cam. With annual tuning and replacing strings every couple years I've had zero complaints. I think in the early 2000's bow companies really struggled with dual cams. I think they've got it down pat now.

That said, from a reliability standpoint, you can't go wrong with a single cam.
If u wouldn’t shoot Hoyt it would be now Tech. With out the yolks how’s the tunability of the newer ones?

Bowtechs tune just fine. Move both cams the same to change your centershot/limb load and bareshaft tune. It takes a wrench flat or two shift from factory with a 13/16 rest centershot.

What’s is your draw length? My Faktor is faster than the RX2 turbo, my draw is 27.5 arrow is 450 grain, and that ol girl is sending it at 306 fps.
That is definitely cruising. I'm at 27.5" as well. If it's only speed you're after you probably should stay where you are at. But newer bows are pretty forgiving, quiet, and vibration free. And sometimes shooting a slower bow more effectively is better than shooting a faster bow that is harder to shoot well or sounds like a gun going off. Really it is about what you like and what you can shoot well. My setup is fast enough and flat enough to shoot out to 130 yards without any issues. It carries enough energy to kill and elk at 80 yards just fine. So i'm not going to mess with it. But again, it is what I like and what I can shoot well. If you're shooting 400-450 grain arrows between 280 and 310 fps you'll do just fine on most animals. Lots of guys kill a ton of animals with much less. Maybe just try shooting some of the new bows and see how you like them.

Two years ago I was in the same boat and wanted a new bow, I shoot Matthews so I stuck with them but I'm really wanting to shoot a new Hoyt, I have heard great things about the Rx-7

I will probably upgrade next archery tag I draw. Not sure why. I have a Mathews mission that I shoot well, just not sure how much difference a new bow will make, but, I am overdue.

I am a speed guy for sure! That’s one of the reasons I haven’t got rid of my faktor turbo. It breaks over so smooth and it’s very shootable! I really appreciate all the input. Now NMbighorn has me second guessing myself so I’m going to have to go shoot an RX7!
Pablo! You’re a stone cold killa with a wrist rocket ! 🤣🤣

Try the z1s. I really like it. Speed hasn't gone up, but it doesn't want to jump on me like my spyder turbo did.

at 27.5 you are almost at the top of the draw mod cylcle so your speed should be as good or better than your Faktor.

I didn't care for my Rx4. I did shoot the rx7 for a year, but I like the speed bows also. z1s I think has been my favorite.

Last edited:
I still shoot my BowTech Liberty VFT! I've killed 2 elk and 3 muleys , and would sure like to find something similar that isn't over $1000.00 .I drew a premium tag this year and thought about upgrading but WOW the prices are crazy...
Come on Rio!!! It’s only 2000 bucks for a premium bow that isn’t even set up to shoot 🤣🤣

Try the z1s. I really like it. Speed hasn't gone up, but it doesn't want to jump on me like my spyder turbo did.

at 27.5 you are almost at the top of the draw mod cylcle so your speed should be as good or better than your Faktor.

I didn't care for my Rx4. I did shoot the rx7 for a year, but I like the speed bows also. z1s I think has been my favorite.
I just saw this! I’ll definitely go shoot this bow! It looks and sounds amazing!

Come in to Hit or Miss i can let you shoot them all. We have sold over 200 Lifts this year. I habe never seen a bow sell so well! The Alpha X best Hoyt in years IMO. Im shooting a Lift and Mach 34 both insanely accurate and fast and extremely light!

I’ll definitely take you up on this brother! I wanna chrono the Z1 next to mine. Just sold the RX2 . I’ll shoot the lift but you can’t tell any of our friends I touched a Matthew’s 🤣🤣

I’ll definitely take you up on this brother! I wanna chrono the Z1 next to mine. Just sold the RX2 . I’ll shoot the lift but you can’t tell any of our friends I touched a Matthew’s 🤣🤣
The ZL1 was one of the slower bows especially favoring the draw the Alpha X would be your huckleberry for sure! Lots of upgrades on it! Mach 30 is a smoker too! I got oryx for June so I’ll be out little more than normal but I’m there often!

I am a speed guy also. I had a Hoyt Katera many moons ago and loved the speed out of that bow. Then I upgraded (FOREVER AGO) to a HOYT Alhpaburner. And I still shoot that today. I LOVE THAT BOW!!!! I have it dialed in and shoot light arrows at 360 grains, and shoots 320 FPS. I am right on the edge of my arrows, but I cut them as short as I can to still clear my rest. I keep looking at buying a new bow, but cant bring myself to spend that kind of money!

I am a speed guy also. I had a Hoyt Katera many moons ago and loved the speed out of that bow. Then I upgraded (FOREVER AGO) to a HOYT Alhpaburner. And I still shoot that today. I LOVE THAT BOW!!!! I have it dialed in and shoot light arrows at 360 grains, and shoots 320 FPS. I am right on the edge of my arrows, but I cut them as short as I can to still clear my rest. I keep looking at buying a new bow, but cant bring myself to spend that kind of money!
The only bow over the years I haven’t been able to let go is my Faktor Turbo. It always seems to be my go to. I love that Z5 cam! She’s fast and not trying to jump out of my hand. No vibration compared to its more expensive counter part the carbon Spyder Turbo.
She’s easy on the eyes too 😍
IMG_20161109_204402166_Original.jpeg

IMG_20161109_205040439_HDR_Original.jpeg
IMG_20161109_205206139_Original.jpeg
IMG_20161109_204326862_Original.jpeg

The ZL1 was one of the slower bows especially favoring the draw the Alpha X would be your huckleberry for sure! Lots of upgrades on it! Mach 30 is a smoker too! I got oryx for June so I’ll be out little more than normal but I’m there often!
I’ll confirm you’re there before I go brother! I might get a little carried away just a heads up 🤣

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom