SpeciesPlanned Post Date
Spring turkeyFebruary 14
Rocky Mountain &
desert bighorn sheep, mountain goat
April 16
Primary Draw (bear, deer, elk, moose & pronghorn)May 28 - May 31
Secondary Draw (bear, deer, elk & pronghorn)July 8
Fall turkeyJune 5

Probably bear on 5/28 then followed by deer and antelope 5/29 & 5/30 and elk will be final day 5/31 (if they go in the same release order they have for the last decade or so) CCs usually hit around 6-7AM MST with emails later in the day.

Me and my hunting buddy have enough tags this year already so I’m hoping we don’t draw our deer tags this year in Colorado. The new tag allocation may help with that hope if everything point creeps as expected with less tags available.

Me and my hunting buddy have enough tags this year already so I’m hoping we don’t draw our deer tags this year in Colorado. The new tag allocation may help with that hope if everything point creeps as expected with less tags available.
Is there not a tag return policy in place for Colorado?

Yes, but you forfeit the whole fee and have your points restored to pre draw level. You don't get the point for this year. Or get back all but $15 and forfeit all points used to draw. It's a better option on a a second choice.

From the regulations:

Once the primary draw is complete, CPW will send emails to customers who are successful in the primary draw and then the secondary draw if applicable, and provide them with a short period when they can decide to surrender their license if they no longer want it, receiving preference point restoration to a pre-draw level, a refund of the license fee and removal of the license from the customer's account.

I will likely be returning a pretty good elk tag and a really good antelope tag.

Right now we have sheep, goat, and two great out of state elk tags for me and my kids.
Seems like this is how it works. Friends and family draw all the good tags on the same year. Sounds like you have a great fall ahead of you.

They should just be honest and call it the youth draw not secondary draw
Totally agree. Very rarely is a decent early-mid season tag available to adults in the Secondary Draw. Sometimes they'll be a few tags available for the late season rifle tags when the cold weather sets in or dates are close to Thanksgiving.

They won’t charge cards for a week or so. There is a period you can opt out of accepting a tag you drew if you decide you dont want it. But it ends quick like June 3.

Waiting on three states to complete their draws and post. Everything else will be points. Once this is done I can start planning my year. Can't happen soon enough. 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
I am waiting for Wyoming deer which we should draw and Colorado deer which I should draw. It would be tragic if only one....or none come through.

where did you put in it you mind me asking (or PM). Sitting on 24 NR points. Was planning to use this year, but after the bad winter i decided to hold off.
Damn...I have 5 points and was thinking I would be able to draw in the next few years. I haven't checked odds but are they really that bad?

You can draw just as good a tag with 5 points as 25
So my home is in a 5 point unit. I've shot several nice bucks here. It is a genuine clown show with piles of tags. I know of a tag that takes around 20. I'm in that unit a lot. In my opinion, if I had 20 points, there is no question which hunt I would be applying for. The 20 point unit. It's better. Less pressure. That's what I like.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom