018, 028, 037, 371 4th Season Deer

shedneck

Please share your thoughts and photos on this hunt if you have them. I don't want to know where to go or anything like that - just getting excited for the hunt and thoughts and photos would be great. Thanks.

if you can get access to private land in the valley you'll be alot better off. If not I'd be hunting the BLM near the bottoms.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>wah wah wah......
a certain individuals response on 8/12/2014 to anyone that commits suicide.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/19864.html
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

I am sure the snow can fluctuate from year to year just like here in Nevada, but how much snow is normal for that area during the 4th rifle season?

Depends on the elevation, a couple seasons ago, at 9400' in 2nd season for 5 or 6 days straight we had snow each day/night. Each time it snowed was between 3" and 10", got deep in a hurry.

However by the time you hit private property down lower (8600????, not sure of elevation down there) there was just a dusting, it had mostly rained.

It generally snows a little at least on us in 2nd season when we are up there.
Mntman

>wah wah wah......
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

Thanks. Have any pictures of deer from that unit or pictures of the area that will not reveal specific spots?

These three bucks come from up in those areas.
27969287_274242329363645_512730225_n.jpg
2354560739_274244456030099_10336844_n.jpg

4388404582_274244769363401_1713795873_n.jpg

249co_buck.jpg

Mntman

>wah wah wah......

Great pictures - thank you for sharing. Nothing like a few good buck pics to get the excitement level up. I'll be in that area November 8th through the 4th season. We are hoping for some snow, but not so much that we can't even get around. With all of this moisture that we are getting in Northeastern Nevada, I wouldn't be surprised if we had some snow in the upper elevations in September. I heard on the news this morning that 11-12K' elevation in Utah will see some snow flakes today or tomorrow.

Three of us have 3rd season tags for this hunt! Those pictures definitely have me excited for it to get here. We had not heard that many good things about these units, but those pics have atleast given us a little hope!!! Thanks again for posting them, now November 1st just needs to get here already!

SomeGuy01 - thanks for the post and good luck on your hunt. I would love to hear how your hunt went so please stay in touch. And about not hearing good things about the unit - it's an area that requires few to no points to draw so I'm not expecting 200" bucks around every corner; however, I have heard nothing but good things about the hunt. Again, good is relative to the fact that it certainly isn't a Henry Mountains tag or the Kaibab. In other words, I think we are going to have a great time no matter what.

You have your work cut out for you, hope you are scouting. It isn't like these are from road hunting. That top pic I think was the only buck I seen in something like 6 days of hunting (my tag and helping others) and it was a running shot through the timber. I might have seen another buck running too, can't remember for sure.

The NT I got was the 2nd buck, first was a little fella I seen the and passed.
My Dad passed a tiny forky on the first morning only to shoot that 3 point on his 6th day. He too was thinking he should have shot that forky.
Not exactly a lot of bucks in those units and so its easy to acquire tags for a reason.

I say it all the time, any CO unit can produce big bucks just not huge numbers of them is all.

Mntman

>wah wah wah......

Yeah we are still pretty excited about it, any hunt is better than no hunt. We are also non residents, live about 9 hours from the units, so still not sure we will be able to get any scouting in before the hunt, which sucks! We do have a couple tips on where to start once we get there though, so we will hope for the best.

What's "road hunting"?

Ha - we know where we plan on hunting and getting there involves our boots and packs.

>Hows the elk looking in those
>areas? Headed up in
>unit 28 for a week
>in mid September-hoping the rut
>should be getting underway?

Hope you got your big boy panties packed and ready to climb and hike...
From my experience you won't find any bulls in "easy" places due to the terrain and the amount of hunters/hikers in there.

Mntman

>wah wah wah......

mntman - do you ever get tired of being so negative? Probably not, huh? God forbid you ever draw a tag in Nevada and want some encouragement. Are you god's gift to hunting? Wait... Let me guess. Just being real, right?

shedneck, I'd call those pictures extremely positive and encouraging as well as the information.
All great deer mntman, that last picture is super.

>mntman - do you ever get
>tired of being so negative?
>Probably not, huh? God forbid
>you ever draw a tag
>in Nevada and want some
>encouragement. Are you god's gift
>to hunting? Wait... Let me
>guess. Just being real, right?
>
It is a tough unit but you want me to say what you want to hear? so here it is.

There are f'en monster bulls and bucks every where, it is flat ground and open with only grass, except for a 4' deep channel every 200 yards cris-crossed across the unit to stalk up on animals with. They even have bridges for hunters restricted to wheel chairs to cross the ditches.
I would not even glass a bull unless he is over 350 Net. They shoot the CO gov buck out of there every year, hell, the guy buying the tag in 2018 just reserved his buck last week.
On the warm days I wear flip flops and shorts with and paint blaze orange on me cause it is too nice to wear a orange vest.

oh and NO ONE HUNTS there because they dont know about unit Colorado's unit 28 so you will have 120 square miles to yourself. :D better?

FYI-Big boy panties is a joke, if you can't understand that then you should probably stop using the internet, especially monster muleys.com cause if that is bad for you then stay away from 95% of the people on here.

Not god's gift to hunting, he helps out for sure but scouting, 100% effort, never give up attitude, learning the animals/terrain and hard work has a fair amount to do with it too I am sure.

As for your hunt in 18, 28,37, 371 you will be guaranteed a monster muley by the end of the first day. They are thicker than mosquitoes in a MN beaver pond! :D

Mntman

>wah wah wah......

>shedneck, I'd call those pictures extremely
>positive and encouraging as well
>as the information.
>All great deer mntman, that last
>picture is super.

Thanks,
Some people can't understand what a joke is and possibly mad I didn't give him the coordinates to where we hunt.
Personally, I don't feel comfortable narrowing down to where I hunt to these 4 units... Been burnt enough and don't share where I hunt except with those that actually come hunt with me and that is a very SHORT list.

Mntman

>wah wah wah......

We know exactly where we are going - no need for coordinates, creeks, mountain, or anything else. We are set, so I'm not mad at all. Glad you took the time to respond with such a lengthy sarcastic post. It certainly spoke volumes!

Happy that you understood the sarcasm, would not want to have to explain it. Also looking back over my previous posts, still don't see any negativity in any of them except information you asked for. Didn't want you or anyone else to get the idea that the hunt is a slam dunk then get there and realize they should have scouted and prepared to hunt hard for most of the season for that one opportunity....

Goodluck

Mntman

>wah wah wah......

mtnman,

All I can say is, anybody who can kill deer of that caliber in those units (I've hunted that area) knows what He's doing.

I can see where "people that hunt with you is on a very short list". Your sarcasm is certainly not for me either. Thanks for all your help. I certainly recognize what it's worth..........

Mtn Man post some great pictures and some REAL info on what is known as a tough hunt with lots of hunters....but because he isn't blowing sunshine he is being negative...its real hunting out there and it can be tough... I have always found his posts to be pretty sqaured away...I'll take real info and thoughts based on experince over cheerleading anytime

We were up in unit 18 this past weekend just messing around on atvs, saw a absolute toad that was shot on the last day of the muzzleloader season. I regret not getting any pics but the guys had it in there truck, Said it just stepped out at about 50 yards. The buck was only about 26" wide but super thick horns and 7 on the left and 5 on the right. Had little stickers coming out everywhere. Each main beam was as thick as a grown mans wrist. Just goes to show that there is good bucks everywhere. You just gotta get lucky. These 2 guys said they were fed up with the unit and going to look at something else for next year, then this buck stepped out.

Thanks for sharing, oldmossback. It felt like fall yesterday here in Nevada which got me excited all over again for the Colorado hunt. How was the weather up there?

I have to agree with mtnman about the toughness of those units for deer hunting. I icefish all winter in those units and I have never seen a monster buck even on the winter range. Out of the hundreds of deer i will see in a weekend, I've only seen two or three bucks in the 170 class ever.

So far the weather has been warm and rainy in that area. I dont think it has snow anymore than a dusting on the high peaks as of last weekend.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom