031 Antelope

desperatehills

Very Active Member
Have any MM'ers hunted this unit before? I drew a antelope tag and wonder what I can expect. A archived search wasn't very positive, stories of to many atv's and that sort of thing. I have hunted the trout creeks in Oregon and driven the highway from Denio down and back up to Mcdermitt so I know the area but have never hunted it. The unit was on fire two years ago when we drove thru on our way to hunt the Ruby's. How has it recovered? I would like to hunt it from the denio side but if the animals were pushed south or east by the fires then I will have to adapt. I love being in that remote desert country so the success of my hunt wont be measured by horn length. I am just hoping it is a positive experience. Any info, good or bad, would be great. Thanks, Jim

I wish you luck!

Sounds like you and I are similar when it comes to antelope hunting. Remember many times it's all about opportunity.

Thanks nitis, Hunting antelope in Oregon is a long time between hunts. When you get your tag it is so much fun, makes you look forward to it even knowing its going to be a 10+ year wait. I got my third Oregon tag two years ago and I probably will only see one more in my lifetime. Last year I went to Wyoming with a lifetime (Oregon standards) of tags in my pocket. We had a great hunt and we will go back in the future. This Nevada tag is also a blessing. I will have a great hunt for sure. After all this house work it will be a good release. With zero antelope points in Nevada I will likely never get to hunt antelope there again. I will enjoy experience even if I come home empty handed

Hunt high. :) Seriously, we saw deer, sheep and antelope in one canyon within 30 minutes of one another. There are antelope on the ranches in the valleys, but surprisingly there are a lot up high. I have hunted the area three times over the years. I couldn't give you tips off the top of my head, but with a little map time I could point to areas we saw antelope.

-Doug

Mikes_antelope_hunt_DayThree_CalifBighorns_-5-L.jpg

Mikes_antelope_hunt_DayThree_MuleDeerBuck_-1-L.jpg

Former 31 year resident of NV. Pining for the good ol' days.

I hunted it once a long time ago, got a respectable goat. I hunted out of Denio and just stuck to the low areas around there, didn't really have alot of time. But i should say that the advice to hunt high is solid, i have seen antelope in those areas at the top of the highest peaks, and alot of nice goats at that!! I have spent a fair amount of time across the road in 032 and its the same, goats on the mountain peaks.
I don't think you will have trouble finding animals at all, even in the burn areas. I have no doubt it will be a positive experience as you put it. There are lots of antelope there and some booners at that. I think a drive thru the area and you will see what's going on and won't have any trouble.
Good luck

I believe you guys when you say hunt up high. While hunting the Trout Creeks we would see some fantastic bucks. We didn't see a lot of antelope but ones we saw were good ones.

I might be able to help you out with your hunt I will speak with my buddy who has alot of property in your area and he wants alot of the speed goats taken off of his ranch and would probably let you hunt it for some whiskey and someone to chat with. I will talk to him later this week. He has alot of goats on his property and as well as his neighbors who would probably let you hunt their land as well.

LAST EDITED ON May-28-14 AT 10:17AM (MST)[p]Wow, what a great offer NevadaJames! I might try and jump in line for this (I have a pretty good assortment of whiskey!). I have hunted this unit for deer, mostly out of Denio, but now have a lope tag here and haven't been through the area since their big fire. Normally I would be pretty damn excited to go explore some more, but I also drew 3 additional NV tags, so I am worried that I will be spread thin scouting, so I might be very interested in helping out the local ranchers!

Yes Nevada James, What a great offer. Whiskey on the shelf and a couple less grocery thieves in the pasture. Could be a win/win for everybody. Keep us posted.

LAST EDITED ON May-29-14 AT 11:03PM (MST)[p]Some more pics from our trip. It was a friends hunt.

A good view of the type of country.
Mikes_antelope_DougandMike_-2-L.jpg

An "environment" shot - buck in center of pic.
Mikes_antelope_DayOfKill_-5-L.jpg

Elevation after a good hike.
Mikes_antelope_DayOfKill_-6-L.jpg

Mikes_antelope_DayOfKill_-4-L.jpg

Success!
Mikes_antelope_-1-8-L.jpg

Former 31 year resident of NV. Pining for the good ol' days.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom