$1,000 or less

Cozmo8

I have an old (1992) set of 8x32 Swarovski binos, a 20x60x65 Swarovski spotting scope. I am looking for a higher magnification bino but am trying not to break the bank. The reason I am looking is because I will be hunting Arizona and want some higher powered binos. I looked at the Nikon 15x56 and they seemed pretty good compared to some higher priced glass. The problem as you know is that inside a store is much different than out in the field. Every salesman tries to sell me the Swarovskis but if I could save money I would like to. Th Nikon's were only $400-500. The dilemna is that they may not be quite as good but I can save a lot. But if they do not perform well then I am out that money and could have used it for a higher quality set. Any suggestions? I may be able to go to $1,500-1,800

Might want to try Cabelas Euros. I have a pair of 12X50's and they are real good glass. Had some buddys that have Swaro 15's try them out on our last hunt and they were impressed. One of them thought the Euros were equal to his Swaro's. To my eyes the Swaro's are better, but then you pay 2 times as much. I am thinking about upgrading to the Swaro 15's.

I am not aware of a Nikon in 15x56. They have the Monarch ATBs in 10 and 12 x 56 and they are pretty good, I own the 10s, but I didn't know they made a 15.

Zeiss made a 12x56 a couple years ago and I know that they are out there used for a thousand or so. In fact I just tested a pair this last weekend and they are beautiful but the tripod arrangement is less than ideal. At $1000 or less I like the Pentax DCF ED 10x50. Steiner makes the Nighthunter XP in 12x56 for $1099 and Vortex makes the Razor in 12x50 for $869 but that is about it.

I can't comment on the Minox 13x56s.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I have seen some used Swaro 15s come up for sale around $1400 recently.
The New Vortex 15x Kaibabs should be worth the wait to examine.

There was a Swarovski 15x56 that sold on Ebay this morning for less than $1,100.00 shipped. Be patient, there's deals out there...

just got a pair of burris sig. selects this year in 12x50. i love them. great glass and clarity for a reasonable price. i got them at www.opticsplanet.com for around $480. also got the 4x16 sig. select scope and love it too.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-30-09 AT 08:26AM (MST)[p]I am also looking for a good higher powered binocular. I do not have the usage requirements to cause me to consider a Swarovski. The Minox 13x56 has gotten some good press, and I have had the chance to at least look through a couple. What I have seen impressed me a lot. That is about what I have decided to try.

Doug at CameralandNY has a very decent deal on his Minox demo site:
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62166

The Vortex Viper 15x50 has some possibility, but for the long haul, I really think it needs to be a 15x55-60. Vortex, as mentioned, is introducing the Vortex Kiabab 15x56 which will probably be in the $1,200 range which will be well worth consideration.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom