100 vs. 125 grain broadheads questions?

erik1972

I have had my Mathews Switchback sighted in for 100 grain tips for over 2 years now. Just the other day I was shooting in my backyard and screwed on some 125 grain tips to see how low they would fly. Wouldn't you know, they didn't change at all. I shot at 20, 30 and 40 yards and maybe at 40 yards they dropped 1".

Shouldn't I have seen more of drop then that? If I can remember right. I am shooting 402 grain arrows with 100's and 427 grains with the 125's. I shoot about 66 lbs.

Since there is virtually no drop, does that maybe mean my bow likes the heavier tip and maybe recovers faster and doesn't drop. I feel like sometimes while shooting the 100's I can see my arrow moving more in mid flight.

Any suggestions? I have Wacem's in 125 and Slick Tricks in 100's. My season already started here in Ohio but these broadheads fly true.

Thanks, Erik

It will drop more at longer yardages. But you bought up a good point, your setup may favor the greater FOC that is provided by the heavier tip. If you want to go with these just make sure your arrow is spined properly for a 125 gr head. That makes all the difference in the world.

Either will work, just use what you have greater confidence in and make sure that your setup is properly suited and tuned to shoot the weight you choose.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-07 AT 02:38PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-07 AT 12:44?PM (MST)

In the most recent issue of EBJ Cameron Hanes' "gearin' up for the backcountry" talkes about this. It basically says that a heavier arrow keeps velocity better than a lighter one. It says that a 405 grain arrow loses 13 FPS over 30 yards and a 430 grain arrow only loses 10. The article makes me want to shoot heavier arrows. Cameron shoots a 431 grain arrow with only an 85 grain broadhead.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom